Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Friction zone smaller (Read 8 times)
Hammy211
Ex Member

Friction zone smaller
07/24/05 at 02:37:46

Suddenly it seem like I have to let the clutch almost all the way out before it starts catching at all.  Before I had probably a third of the lever that was somewhere is the fiction zone.  Feels like less than half that all of a sudden.  Last oil change was over 1000 miles ago.  Anyone know what might have caused this or if it is a symptom of a bigger problem to come?

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Re: Friction zone smaller
Reply #1 - 07/24/05 at 03:28:32

Check the clutch cable adjustment right by the clutch lever on the handle bar.
It may have loosened up causing the slop you are getting when going through the gears when you are riding. It happened on my bike before.
I get a little bit of it as well just after I change the oil too but as the oil wears in (I guess) the slop in the clutch gear changing goes away.
But check your clutch cable first from the handlebar all the way down to where it ends by the motor to see if anything loosened up or maybe the cable itself is damaged anywhere. That's where I would start if it just started happening out of nowhere and proceed further as necessary.
I did have A Kawasaki LTD 550 where the clutch cable itself broke inside the black casing it was in between the lever itself and where it went into the motor.

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/25/05 at 01:42:25

Thanks, that was it.  It was like five turns out from where it needed to be.  Could vibration have moved it that much?

IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #3 - 07/25/05 at 05:31:14

It could indeed . . . i just posted on another thread how vibration loosed my idle mixture screw 4 1/2 turns and spun one of the nuts holding on my right foot peg clean off.

A little strip of threadlock (blue in your case) might help.  It absorbs the vibration.

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #4 - 07/25/05 at 23:55:23

You better believe it! They don't call these bikes "Thumpers" for nothing! Grin
I've kinda made it a habit now to check around the bike every so often for anything "loose" It has helped prevent a few minor problems here and there I'm sure if not for anything else just keeping up with a good maintenance check kind of regular I guess Grin

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 22:12:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Friction zone smaller

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.