Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gutted Exhaust (Read 6 times)
CordermanThumps
Ex Member

Gutted Exhaust
07/23/05 at 00:31:46

Im a 19 year old 6'2" and proud rider of a 98 savage.  Before i get started, i have a friend that works at a harley shop that thought my savage was a very good looking bike, and thats before i told him what i paid for it.  But anyways dont have money to buy a new loud exhaust and im not sure whats on it right now  just a short pipe that has a diagonal opening at the end of it.  I was told that if i knock the baffles out of the muffler and just gut it and put it back on it will be a hella loud bike.  I just wanted to know if that would have any long term effects on the bikes reliability and performance.  Like Breaking down on me or screwing up the engine.  If anyone has any knowledge on this subject please fill me in.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Gutted Exhaust
Reply #1 - 07/23/05 at 08:11:51

Welcome to forum!  The Savage is a great bike.  Please look at some of the other threads here and do a few searches.  There are a lot of previous and current threads covering exhaust mods and little need to start another unless you determine your circumstance simply isn't covered yet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 07/23/05 at 08:35:20

CordermanThumps wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Im a 19 year old 6'2" and proud rider of a 98 savage.  Before i get started, i have a friend that works at a harley shop that thought my savage was a very good looking bike, and thats before i told him what i paid for it.  But anyways dont have money to buy a new loud exhaust and im not sure whats on it right now  just a short pipe that has a diagonal opening at the end of it.  I was told that if i knock the baffles out of the muffler and just gut it and put it back on it will be a hella loud bike.  I just wanted to know if that would have any long term effects on the bikes reliability and performance.  Like Breaking down on me or screwing up the engine.  If anyone has any knowledge on this subject please fill me in.

Your current exhaust sounds like a Jardine, and for sure if you "knock the baffles out of the muffler", it will be loud.  Very loud.  But that is all that you'll have.  It won't go faster, and it could get worse.

What I suggest is that you read the topics discussed in this forum, hang out with us, and take any suggestions from your Harley friend, with a big chunk of salt.

Welcome to the "Savage Nation"  8)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 07/23/05 at 10:26:15

"SAVAGE NATION"..................YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I LIKE THIS...........THE NEW WAR CRY.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 07/23/05 at 10:28:37

From what I've read, motorcycles require some back pressure in the exhaust to develop low end torque.  Anything that increases backpressure will reduce noise to some extent.  A straight pipe, or a gutted muffler, while loud, will not give the best performance.  You can't have everything.

Your buddy at the Harley shop should be able to provide you with free stock take-off sportster mufflers which, from what I've read, reasonably easy to install on the Savage.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/23/05 at 10:35:18

That's right.  The Screaming Eagle exhaust seems to be a popular stock item for both Savage and Harley riders.  Good sound and back pressure, too.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #6 - 07/23/05 at 12:10:59

You should know what type of pipe you have.
If it's a Jardine, there is none much louder and a lot of work to remove the baffles. If so, would say you are in good shape. I find a get tired of a loud pipe on long road trips.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/23/05 at 23:20:11

i would put the stock muffler back on and drill 2 or 3 hole in it and adjust the fule mixer screw before you burn up somthing welcome to savage nation  8) 8) 8)

shawn

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #8 - 07/24/05 at 11:34:01

It does seem like you are describing you're current muffler to be a Jardine. Instead of tearing the baffles out of it why don't you take it off, and get a piece of chrome pipe like from an auto part store that fits, clamp it on, and cut the end to size as you like it to look. (slash cut, downward ,straight etc..) That will give you the straight pipe loudness you're looking for and you still have the option to put the original muffler back on later.

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 07/24/05 at 21:20:27

dannimal wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
It does seem like you are describing you're current muffler to be a Jardine. Instead of tearing the baffles out of it why don't you take it off, and get a piece of chrome pipe like from an auto part store that fits, clamp it on, and cut the end to size as you like it to look. (slash cut, downward ,straight etc..) That will give you the straight pipe loudness you're looking for and you still have the option to put the original muffler back on later.

Exactly!  There are some really cool pieces of pipe at the hardware store in the plumbing section, too.  The ones that I really like are the J-trap pieces, like under the bathroom sink.  Some Mopeds have them connecting a spark arrestor....

That way when you are riding you can really hear your exhaust, and if you like it you can toss that stock pipe in the trash and have a local shop weld it on permenantly.

Either that or ride your bike for a while and learn about motorcycles before you do anything....

Sometimes, free advice won't even buy a cup of coffee, but mine will at least save you a headache....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 16:30:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gutted Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.