Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mac pipe w/'87 jetting? (Read 3 times)
Joel
Ex Member

Mac pipe w/'87 jetting?
07/19/05 at 22:26:31

I want to put new muffler on my bone stock '87 savage (runs great). I was wondering if it requires the same re-jetting that the later models do since it came set with a richer mixture. I'm not trying to cut corners, but if its not neccessary I'd  rather not waste time and money. Can anyone tell me how much seat of the pants difference it will  make?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Mac pipe w/'87 jetting?
Reply #1 - 07/20/05 at 05:41:22

That's a good point.  My guess is yes, but a little differently than later models.

Does an '87 have the same tendency to backfire and pop?

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/20/05 at 07:10:43

I also have an 87 with a mac pipe.  I have been messing around with the carb for a few days now.  The stock setup is so far the best setup I have found.  Keep me posted on what works for you, and I will do the same.  Joe

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/05 at 13:12:22

i have a screaming eagle pipe, on my stock 87. i have done nothing with the jetting. My Bike Is loud, it roars and the sound over powers my b-in-law's sportster that has stock muffs. it does backfire once in a while and does it  when coming down example: i'm in second gear high rpms (cus i'm speeding of course Cheesy ) i let go of the throttle to put clutch in and gear up to third and POP, push on the throttle, max out third gear, release throttle to put clutch and gear up to fourth and POP then i'm in forth and i'll let off  the throttle and POP but like i said it doesn't always do it. also it vibrates a whole lot more. man the vibration was so hard my wife started crying about her knees hurting after a long ride and when i say crying i dont mean complaining i mean tearing and crying i had to carry her in the house.  Lastly the BLUE PIPE . Whats odd is ive seen pics of peoples pipes that are blue and they blue from the header. my pipe is only blue on the screaming eagle and its right in the center of the pipe. A big blue spot.  I really love it thought lots of fun. I'm still getting that performance carb from lancer though. Just waiting on the new throttle cables so that he can send it. I"ll let you all know how that acts.

IP Logged
Joel
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/20/05 at 18:17:11

My bike does backfire once and a while, but only when i am compression braking for a while (5 seconds or more). The bike runs great but the motor feels like its being held back. My pipe doesn't really have that much blueing, although it is slightly discolored.

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/21/05 at 06:46:35

Have either of you adjusted the idle mixture screw?  

That is all I have done to mine and I almost never get any backfiring.  Even on hard decels.  Joe

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:42:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mac pipe w/'87 jetting?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.