Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sportster muff install issues - feedback please! (Read 16 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Sportster muff install issues - feedback pleas
Reply #30 - 07/22/05 at 16:33:49

Since it is my bike that has the sporty muffler on it and seems to be getting dissed I'll explain why I made the modification. The stock muffler that comes on our bikes s-ucks, the one on my '02 looked like c-rap with scraps and marks from steel wool. I was able to trade some extra stuff for a sportster exhaust system and used one muffler for my bike. The bike runs and sounds better and the conversion cost under 25 dollars. I don't think my cheap modification gives cheap looking results, IMHO the bike looks better and runs better than stock. It is not the parts you use, it's how you use them. If it makes the bike run and look better I would bolt on a muffler from a Hyundi or a Mack Truck Grin I disagree with a lot of the modifications and customizing discussed on this board but at least have enough sense to keep quite about it. Maybe some others should follow that lead!!!! Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 07/22/05 at 22:49:13

I just finished the Sportster muffler install, and it looks and runs just fine.  Sure, there's no standard kit to do it, so individual results will vary, but it's a bargain job that doesn't have to look like one.

The Screamin' Eagle, however, will take awhile to noodle out.  Can't get the bracket & the turnout angle to work together on my bike yet.  The Sportster was easier since it was cigar-style.  Besides, my stocker was done, and the factory part was way overpriced.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 07/23/05 at 08:25:47

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Since it is my bike that has the sporty muffler on it and seems to be getting dissed I'll explain why I made the modification. The stock muffler that comes on our bikes s-ucks, the one on my '02 looked like c-rap with scraps and marks from steel wool. I was able to trade some extra stuff for a sportster exhaust system and used one muffler for my bike. The bike runs and sounds better and the conversion cost under 25 dollars. I don't think my cheap modification gives cheap looking results, IMHO the bike looks better and runs better than stock. It is not the parts you use, it's how you use them. If it makes the bike run and look better I would bolt on a muffler from a Hyundi or a Mack Truck Grin I disagree with a lot of the modifications and customizing discussed on this board but at least have enough sense to keep quite about it. Maybe some others should follow that lead!!!! Ride Safe, Ed L.

I didn't think that sense was the issue in this discussion about modifications.  Are you stating that it is senseless to have a civilized arguement, disagreement, or impassioned discussion about motorcycles?  Maybe I don't have enough sense to understand....

From the pictures, without detailed written description, your bike and it's modifications do appear very good.  Your bike doesn't appear to have a Midas installation either.  It looks well done from what I can see.  

Do you have any close-ups of the muffler attachment to the header, the mounting bracket and the heat shield?  Some of those may be infinitely helpful for others wanting to do the same as you.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 07/23/05 at 08:42:00

allright what is it with the midas crap?  Angry  8)   First off they didn't install it they just did a small weld job so that i didn't have to go out and buy welder. In addition you haven't seen any pictures to judge. Furthermore when you bought your stock savage did you look at your stock muffler? or have you looked at most mufflers? guess what someone welded the bracket into them. On your Raask is the bolt that goes into the exauhst hanger built into the pipe or is it welded on there? my guess its welded on there althoug for $300 bucks i would hope it was made of solid gold with no welds whatsoever  Grin. Point and case is that the welded part is not seen by anyone its bolts straight into the exauhst hanger and most pipes have that same weld.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 07/23/05 at 09:02:14

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
allright what is it with the midas crap?  Angry  8)   First off they didn't install it they just did a small weld job so that i didn't have to go out and buy welder. In addition you haven't seen any pictures to judge. Furthermore when you bought your stock savage did you look at your stock muffler? or have you looked at most mufflers? guess what someone welded the bracket into them. On your Raask is the bolt that goes into the exauhst hanger built into the pipe or is it welded on there? my guess its welded on there althoug for $300 bucks i would hope it was made of solid gold with no welds whatsoever  Grin. Point and case is that the welded part is not seen by anyone its bolts straight into the exauhst hanger and most pipes have that same weld.

The "Midas cr@p" came from my poorly assembled analogy with the kind of work performed by OCC (I watched another stupid episode last night).  Scroll back through a few for the origin...

Yes, my stock muffler came with welded parts, and so did my former SuperTrapp.  Even my Raask has one little weld for the mounting stud...very innocuous, though.

The big difference, I believe, is called "fit and finish".  Whether it is Suzuki, SuperTrapp, Raask, or even OCC, when the welding is done the work is chrome plated.

BTW - 7 pounds of gold for $300 is a good deal.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 07/23/05 at 09:19:55

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
BTW - 7 pounds of gold for $300 is a good deal.

LOL  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 07/23/05 at 09:40:46

Well shoot....I guess that I "gone and done it".  Got everyone kneejerking and pissed off.  Nothing new for my a$$.  Anyway....I have an idea.  

Let's make a new rule for this forum....

From this day forward, it shall be declared that whenever anyone makes a request for feedback or opinions, that it shall be immediately, completely, strictly understood, followed, and adhered unto to that any replies offered, suggested, forwarded, and written, by anyone, whether member, guest, biker or non-biker, will all be politically correct in every such manner that every utterance, reference and inference will be completely and totally agreeable to and with all parties, to include the originator, any member, any guest, their decsendants and even their ancestors should they happen to gaze upon said requested feedback or opinion.

The punishment for failure of complete compliance with said rule will result in banishment from the entire motorcycling community for life, and forfeiture of all gremlin bells and related gear.....

That said, anyone wanna ride?

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 07/23/05 at 09:47:07

i'm not peeved off or upset. i said it earlier i just like the discussion. whether i'm right or wrong i'm stubborn and will argue points to the end  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 07/23/05 at 21:10:01

Me too, man.  I love bikes and I have a bunch of experience with them.  So I like to talk and even argue about them.  For what I know, I'm also serious.  I mean what I say, but I know others do too.

Nothing personal....or maybe it is, but I think of it in fun anyway.  

Hey, we're bikers.  No one said we had to be pretty.
8)

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 07/23/05 at 22:45:14

good point just dont be so nasty next time Roll Eyes now lets get along Kissafter all we all ride the same thing in the end

shawn

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 07/24/05 at 06:50:51

shawn_b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
good point just dont be so nasty next time Roll Eyes now lets get along Kissafter all we all ride the same thing in the end

shawn

What was nasty?  I figure, don't ask and I won't tell.  Was I supposed to sugar coat my answers?  Okay, from now on I'll tell people exactly what I know they want to hear.....

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 07/24/05 at 10:11:46

dont lie just keep it above the belt line 8) 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #42 - 07/24/05 at 11:12:26

dont lie just keep it above the belt line 8) 8)

Sometimes the head is doesn't feel anything  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 07/24/05 at 11:21:45

lol Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 07/24/05 at 11:27:08

lol Grin

Shoot sometimes my head can't write either  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 18:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster muff install issues - feedback please!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.