Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sportster muff install issues - feedback please! (Read 16 times)
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Re: Sportster muff install issues - feedback pleas
Reply #15 - 07/22/05 at 10:55:54

i dont understand Greg you say harley riders dont even want screaming eagles on their bikes?

i thought screaming eagles were a nice item to put on a harley. And as far as modifictations go. Why would i spend $300 on something that someone custom designed to fit the braket when i can do the same thing for $20 except my doesn't have a name brand. and it looks and sounds great.  the guy who custom made it took the same ideas and made it one piece. and i'm considering welding the screaming eagle on to avoid leaks but right now its no different than having my stock one since the stock one was held in place by a clamp and the exauhst hanger.

and you dont need a bulky heatsheild you can get a nice thin one from jcwhitteny for $17. and there a good thing to have. especially if you ever take a cruise in your shorts.

Oh but wait that something else i do wrong along with not wearing gloves a helmet or a jacket.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/22/05 at 11:07:46

hey i cruise in shorts with my jacket gloves and helmet with gym shoes on Wink

shawn

IP Logged
magistermatt
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/22/05 at 11:16:08

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Just my opinion, BUT I DON'T GET IT!!!

If you try to make cheap modifications to your bike, you will have cheap looking results.  Personally, I don't know why people have to be so impatient, that they can't save up twice as much money (2 - 3 paydays?) and buy something properly designed for their bike.  Shoot, just pass on the next 10 Happy Meals or turn off your cell phone for a while....

All throughout this forum people talk about Trapps, Jardines, Macs, and Raask pipes and still for some unexplained reason people have to run out buy a used muffler that even the Harley guys don't want.  It almost seems like people would buy a pipe at the Dollar store if they carried one...

In my opinion this is nothing more than...(commonly used but politically incorrect phrase), and it certainly doesn't increase the value of your ride.  I know that a true Harley  or Gold Wing rider would never do this to their bike...so why do Savage owners?

BTW - I'm getting ready to advertise a used header pipe on eBay if anyone needs one.

I for one care about one thing above all others RIDING! I'm not in this game for looks nor do I care what HD or Goldwing riders do or do not. Yes I had a stock sportster muffler welded onto my header and no it doesn't look like garbage. I took off the Jardine (which came on the bike when I bought it)  because it was too loud for my tastes. The sportster muffler mod seemed like a very reasonably priced and fairly easy to execute alternative to all my other options. I came to this forum seeking advice on my issues, that is all.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/22/05 at 11:18:44

do you what to get rid of that Jardine  ???

shawn

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 07/22/05 at 11:21:55

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
i dont understand Greg you say harley riders dont even want screaming eagles on their bikes?

i thought screaming eagles were a nice item to put on a harley. And as far as modifictations go. Why would i spend $300 on something that someone custom designed to fit the braket when i can do the same thing for $20 except my doesn't have a name brand. and it looks and sounds great.  the guy who custom made it took the same ideas and made it one piece. and i'm considering welding the screaming eagle on to avoid leaks but right now its no different than having my stock one since the stock one was held in place by a clamp and the exauhst hanger.

and you dont need a bulky heatsheild you can get a nice thin one from jcwhitteny for $17. and there a good thing to have. especially if you ever take a cruise in your shorts.

Oh but wait that something else i do wrong along with not wearing gloves a helmet or a jacket.

The reason that you can buy a Screaming Eagle pipe so cheap is that most self respecting HD riders (an oxymoron?) jerk the darned things off before they even leave the showroom.

Why would you spend that much money?  I'd bet you have more invested in your cell phone.  Hey, it's all a matter of experience and what you expect.  I wouldn't buy your bike with that on there....sorry.

What I'm reading here is that people are only experimenting with customizing their bikes, but not really serious about it.  There is a big difference between doing it and doing it right.  Having a modified bike is not the same as a customized bike.

For now that's my opinion, but I may change my mind when I see an issue of Orange County Choppers that includes a trip to Midas.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 07/22/05 at 11:33:48

most of us dont have welding equipment at home. and for one project most of us aren't going to buy it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 07/22/05 at 11:41:55

most of us dont have welding equipment at home. and for one project most of us aren't going to buy it.

Good point.  However, I've never needed a welder to install a motorcycle muffler anyway.

IP Logged
magistermatt
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 07/22/05 at 12:11:58

shawn_b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
do you what to get rid of that Jardine  ???

shawn

I want to ride around on the new sporty muffler for a week or so to make sure I am sassified with it before I get rid of the Jardine but I do envision it being up for grabs in the near future. I also have another sportster muffler that i'll be looking to get rid of (that is if anyone else want to "de-value" their savage - not my opinion though).

If you are interested shoot me an email with what you're looking to spend and i'll snap a couple of pics of it for you and let you know a little more about it.

Oh and by the way everyone- don't feed the trolls! http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolls

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07/22/05 at 12:16:04

lol

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 07/22/05 at 12:33:32

now while i find that extremely funny i feel that i somehow fall in that category.   Grin  FEED ME

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 07/22/05 at 13:23:28

magistermatt wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I for one care about one thing above all others RIDING! I'm not in this game for looks nor do I care what HD or Goldwing riders do or do not. Yes I had a stock sportster muffler welded onto my header and no it doesn't look like garbage. I took off the Jardine (which came on the bike when I bought it)  because it was too loud for my tastes. The sportster muffler mod seemed like a very reasonably priced and fairly easy to execute alternative to all my other options. I came to this forum seeking advice on my issues, that is all.

I thought that part of your problem was that you didn't  like the way you had the muffler welded on the head pipe since it was toasting your rear brake.    

Since I misinterpreted what you needed, I apologize.  Would you have preferred that I suggest a good brand of hack saw?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 07/22/05 at 13:47:10

Sounds like Godiva here....
Roll Eyes

Where do you live that a helmet is optional?  SC?

BTW - the last time I wore shorts to ride, my wife was with me on her then GZ250.  We stopped at the pump at a gas station to fill up.  She pulled up on my left side so that we could fill at the same time.  Like an idiot, I swung my leg off my bike, and while I was reading the gas pump and screwing with my helmet, I backed right into her pipe.....

I spent 3 weeks with Neosporin and blistering oozing skin on my leg....it sucked.

After 30 some riding years, this old dog finally learned a new trick.  Wear pants.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 07/22/05 at 14:16:06

Ride in texas. yea i burnt my darn leg too i was putting the bike up and wasn't paying attention. leaned it to make sure the kickstand would clear but it was no big deal. it had already cooled for a bit before i was putting it up. Just a little burn. i got aloe in the house. and i dont think its the weld that is messing up his brake its the fact that its not attached to the exauhst hanger or drilled into the frame like bobo showed in his pictures. i had the same problem when it got hot and i would hit a bump the whole thing would rattle and it would hit my brake line almost felt like the line was coming loose. once i put welded the two bolts on the screaming eagle and bolted it to the exausht hanger it works great. i'll try to get some pics up tonight i promise.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 07/22/05 at 15:07:49

This is my muffler bracket.  Since I installed the Raask I thought that I would dress it up a bit with some ornamental holes (it's more visible anyway).  Plus the Raask only needs one mounting hole so I shortened it by removing one hole.

I also cut off the part of the bracket that goes across to the other side of the frame....the flat part underneath the bike that some people use to jack up the bike.  It is useless anyway...

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 07/22/05 at 16:00:25

wow that looks great. mine is all rusted I never even thought to paint it since its not visible. i use that same bracket with my screaming eagle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:45:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster muff install issues - feedback please!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.