Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Sportster muff install issues - feedback please! (Read 16 times)
magistermatt
Ex Member

Sportster muff install issues - feedback please!
07/19/05 at 06:17:43

Hello everyone,
I began the sportster muffler installation on my savage the other day. After removing the exhaust pipe I had to hack-off the Jardine which was welded on. Figuring getting the new muffler welded on was my best move I test fit it onto the header pipe, marked it up for alignment and went off to a local muffler shop. They welded it up no problem. Only after re-installing it and firing the bike up did I notice a few isssues.

The pipe is now pointing more inward toward the bike, shooting exhaust gasses directly at the rear tire/rear brake linkage bracket. The rear brake linkage wire is also now touching the muffler. I'm assuming having hot exhaust blast at my rear tire is not a good thing. The rear brake linkage has always been in the line of fire of the Jardine (and coated in a nice black powder) so that's not a huge concern of mine but I'm unsure if having the wire touch the mufffler is a good thing.

So now what? I have not affixed the muffler to the bike yet but was going to drill a new hole to attach the bracket. I can only think of 2 options for me as again I believe I should get the exhaust pointed away from the tire.

Do I try and bend the header pipe to angle it away from the bike a bit and is that even possible?

Or do I muscle the pipe so it points out a bit when I attach it to the bracket, which seems possible.  I would be concerned of undue pressure this would put on the pipe as a whole and even the strain it would put on the juncture where the header pipe attaches to the cylinder head.

Other suggestions would be appreciated. Also should I use some sort of gasket/sealent at the head when I reattatch the bracket?

Thanks, Matt

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Sportster muff install issues - feedback pleas
Reply #1 - 07/19/05 at 08:21:04

See this thread.

There is a gasket for each end of the header and I recommend you pick 'em up.  Leaks can cause nasty backfires.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
boyett
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Santa Rosa, CA
Reply #2 - 07/19/05 at 17:24:23

On mine, I cut a v-shaped notch out of the pipe between the pipe and muffler and bent it to where it should go, and re-welded it.  Others have purchased a small angle adapter from an autoparts store and put it between the pipe and muffler.

- Jim in Santa Rosa, CA

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/05 at 20:34:04

I got an adapter made at a local muffler shop, but forgot to have them put the bend in it.  My brother & I put the adapter in a pipe vise and heated it up with an acetylene torch.  It only took a few minutes to get the bend right.  An 8" chrome heat shield covers it up just fine.

IP Logged
magistermatt
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/21/05 at 08:21:58

In my excitement to get the bike back on the road  I overlooked the slight outward bend needed. I'm just unsure how my rear tire will respond to the constant heat/exhaust blast or even if it would be an issue.

For safety sake I'll take it back to the muffler shop and see what they can do for me. Don't want to increase the chance of my rear tire blowing on me.

My used jardine might be up for grabs in the near future as well as the other sporty muff (I got it in a pair). The Jardine was just too loud for me, it actually made my right ear ring if I didn't wear earplugs.

Thanks, Matt

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/21/05 at 09:13:36

At the very least, your spokes will always be dirty.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/21/05 at 12:53:17

I just bent the linkage bracket towards the tire, away from the pipe. much easier than trying to bend the pipe!

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #7 - 07/21/05 at 13:53:43

Read this thread and give some thought to getting an angled piece of pipe that gets you away from the brakes and tires and will make the whole exhaust system about the same length as the stock one.  I would not go bending parts on a bike just to make a muffler fit, but that's just my personal opinion.

Here's part of the thread:

Further instructions fro Hal:

To High Plains Thumper:

I measured the offset angle of the stock muffler with a protractor at about 10 degrees. Then I took the muffler and the header to the muffler shop and told the man to bend me a piece of 1-3/4" tailpipe to about 10 degrees. He did this and cut the pipe to 6" long, with the bend in the middle. He had to flare out the header end with a belling tool so it would fit over the header, which was 1-21/32" in diameter, not the standard 1-5/8".

I then took the plumbing home and installed it on Bronson, using a quick-setting exhaust system sealer on the header end of the adapter, and 2 stainless hose clamps on the muffler end. The U-bolt muffler clamp which I had originally installed was too bulky to allow for a nice flush fit for the Cobra heat shield which I put on later.

Read about the rear muffler bracket in my original post.

The installation with the new chrome heat shield looks very professional!

It has the sound I wanted, so I will not drill holes in the baffle!

Stroker Hal

Thread link:
http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Fragen/messages/46650.html

Check out Ed L.'s install - looks great and no issues with exhaust on brake cable, spokes, or tire.  I'm about to do mine, and that is how I want it to look and function.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/390887/

Some before & after pics -
http://www.bikepics.com/members/backroadrider/02savage/

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 07/21/05 at 16:01:41

I used Hal's instructions for the sportster muffler installation, the only change made was using a longer(10 inch) adapter. For extra support I welded some flat stock into an "L" shape to bolt the muffler mounting tab and the stock mounting bracket. Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/21/05 at 21:37:19

i used bobo's instructions and used the car clamp that worked great. but i didn't mount anything into frame i was just holding the pipe muff clamp. it started bouncing and hitting the breakline. i pulled off the pipe and took the stock and the new screaming eagle to the local midas i had the guy remove the mount with the two bolts on the stock pipe and weld it in the same position on my screaming eagle. now it mounts straight into the stock exauhst hanger. Works GREAT. and only cost me 20 bucks

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/21/05 at 22:58:14

mikedasavage can u take a pic of the pipe word just don't do it ??? ??? ??? Roll Eyes 8) Shocked

thanks shawn

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/22/05 at 08:29:04

i was gonna take pics before installation but i was so busy and i needed to be somewhere and the bike is my only ride so i just slapped it on real quick. i'll see how the pics come out with it installed.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 07/22/05 at 10:22:07

Just my opinion, BUT I DON'T GET IT!!!

If you try to make cheap modifications to your bike, you will have cheap looking results.  Personally, I don't know why people have to be so impatient, that they can't save up twice as much money (2 - 3 paydays?) and buy something properly designed for their bike.  Shoot, just pass on the next 10 Happy Meals or turn off your cell phone for a while....

All throughout this forum people talk about Trapps, Jardines, Macs, and Raask pipes and still for some unexplained reason people have to run out buy a used muffler that even the Harley guys don't want.  It almost seems like people would buy a pipe at the Dollar store if they carried one...

In my opinion this is nothing more than...(commonly used but politically incorrect phrase), and it certainly doesn't increase the value of your ride.  I know that a true Harley  or Gold Wing rider would never do this to their bike...so why do Savage owners?

BTW - I'm getting ready to advertise a used header pipe on eBay if anyone needs one.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/22/05 at 10:40:34

how much for it and what shape is it in is it rust free Undecided

shawn

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 07/22/05 at 10:45:52

shawn_b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
how much for it and what shape is it in is it rust free Undecided

shawn

I'm gonna try to take some pictures of several bike parts soon.  

There is a little rust on the inside of the curve in the pipe next to the frame downtube (....which is why I so much like the chrome quality of the Raask.)

However for someone that has welded something to their stock header, it is probably an improvement  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 22:21:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster muff install issues - feedback please!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.