Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Gel Seat
Reply #30 - 07/25/05 at 10:37:03

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The S40 gel seat that I ordered came in Friday, installation on my '02 was a snap. Instead of drilling a hole in the rear fender to mount the back tab on the gell seat I bent the metal loop on the fender back and slipped the tab under it. Haven't done a long ride yet but after a 50 mile test ride it feels fine. There is more of a cup in the gel seat saddle area so it is harder to slide your butt back for more leg room, besides that it seems much more comfortable.  Ride Safe

Did you get the Classic or Pillow version?  I'm guessing Classic because the Pillow appeared to have less of a cup/depression than the stock (at least in the poor quality pictures on the dealer sites) although those appeareances may have nothing to do with actual sitting.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #31 - 07/25/05 at 12:16:10

It was the classic version, could hardly tell the difference between the two cause of the poor picture in the dealer's catalog. I think the pillow version has buttons, classic comes without. It's an improvement over the stock '02 seat but doesn't give any more leg room. Too hot to do anything but ride, the shop gets over 100 by noon. Maybe by the fall I'll work on some forward controls but not now, Florida in the summer is rough.
Ride Safe, Ride Cool

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 07/25/05 at 17:14:10

dont forget to post when you get that pillow seat. i hate to say it but you're my guinea pig  Shocked I wonder if the local stealership will price match oneida

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #33 - 07/25/05 at 17:48:04

..... Florida in the summer is rough.
Ride Safe, Ride Cool

Flordia in the winter is georgeous.  As a kid in Detroit we spent one Christmas vacation in the Keys and another in St. Pete.   I liked the Gulf coast much better, much softer sand.

WWW   IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 07/25/05 at 17:50:50

well the gulf coast is only nice on the florida side. with nice white sand looks like snow from the distance.

On the texas side its much uglier. I think the nicest place is where i'm from orginally south padre island. but that is ugly compared to the florida side.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #35 - 07/26/05 at 05:55:07

The Yucatan side is sweet too.  The Texas coast has its good and bad spots.  In general, the closer you get to Houston/Galveston, the less I like it.  You know, brown water is just not my thing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 07/26/05 at 06:01:09

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
dont forget to post when you get that pillow seat. i hate to say it but you're my guinea pig  Shocked I wonder if the local stealership will price match oneida

Will do.  Once it arrives and I get it mounted, I'll take some better pics and get 'em posted.  Once I get a slightly longer ride (say 200 miles) on it, I'll post my evaluation.  If Ed can do the same, maybe the rest of the members can be better informed.  Maybe we can post a thread with closer pics of both S40 gel seats in the Marketplace as a shopper's advisory or something.  We could even add some of the LS650 gel seat for anyone that can find one and is considering buying it.

Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #37 - 07/26/05 at 10:08:59

Sounds like a good idea, I'm up for it. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #38 - 07/26/05 at 15:26:13

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Anyone know why they say this won't fit LS650?

I bought the s40 gel seat for my 2002 savage.  I requires drilling a hole behind where the stock back seat goes.  It is attached by  the normal bolts in front and a metal extension on the back of the new one piece seat.   It requires some rerouting of wires.  The seat is not that much better than stock.  But, I do notice some improvement

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #39 - 07/26/05 at 16:59:18

Ed said he didn't need to drill the fender; he bent the original metal loop used for the tabs on the LS650 pillion and inserted the S40 tab.  I'll look into the same thing before drilling.  By the way, thanks for that idea Ed.

Rob

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #40 - 08/03/05 at 19:55:22

Okay, got it today but haven't had a chance to install it yet.  At least y'all can see what it looks like a bit better than the dealership photos. This is the S40 pillow gel seat.

marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #41 - 08/04/05 at 06:24:13

Sure looks comfy. Hope it is becuase I have a big issue with long rides. I love my savage, she rides good, but she rides me back WAY to hard. Cant stand more than about an hour (and I will be walkin' funny then).

Let us know how it rides please.

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #42 - 08/04/05 at 06:59:07

Looks like it has more padding than the classic model I got. Haven't had a chance to get any long rides in yet but the new gel seat is an improvement over the stock seat. I've only gotten a couple of 50 mile rides in so far with the new seat but it feels better. Ride Safe

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #43 - 08/04/05 at 17:22:21

The S40 gel seat that I ordered came in Friday, installation on my '02 was a snap. Instead of drilling a hole in the rear fender to mount the back tab on the gell seat I bent the metal loop on the fender back and slipped the tab under it. Haven't done a long ride yet but after a 50 mile test ride it feels fine. There is more of a cup in the gel seat saddle area so it is harder to slide your butt back for more leg room, besides that it seems much more comfortable.  Ride Safe

Ed, that idea is just peachy.  I just tapped that metal loop/bracket a couple of times with a mallet so that it laid back a bit further and flatter and it was easy to install without any need to drill at all.  Insert the front tab as usual, bend the seat very slightly to let the rear metal tab slide into the loop/bracket and then bolt as usual.  I've never been a fan of buttons in upholstery but I think this seat looks pretty good.  The pillow seat does sit a bit higher than the original and I'll just have to see how that goes.  The one-piece design feels more comfortable than the original two-piece to slide back against slightly.  It's raining now but I'll let y'all know how it goes once I get in a 200 mile ride.  For me, monkeybutt usually set in at about 175 miles or so.

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #44 - 08/07/05 at 13:22:14

Okay, initial report...  I haven't done a long ride yet but I just did 90 miles on her today and I am pleased with the seat.  It sits higher than the stock and I initially though that would bother me but I actually like the position of my legs a bit better.  While it's not really as "cushy" as a pillow seat with buttons may look to be, it does isolate just about all of the vibration.  I never felt any discomfort at all but I still think I need a 200 mile ride to say for sure.  I'll keep you posted.  I think it looks pretty good on the bike.

Rob

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 07:23:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gel Seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.