Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitment of a backrest on an S40 (Read 30 times)
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Fitment of a backrest on an S40
07/17/05 at 04:17:28

Does anyone know if the seat rest of the ealier models will bolt up onto a 2005 S40? There is one on EBay and I was contemplating bidding on it.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Fitment of a backrest on an S40
Reply #1 - 07/17/05 at 07:13:49

The side rails on the '05 don't have the mounts for the passenger backrest. You would need older side rails and the backrest for the conversion. Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 07/17/05 at 07:46:22

This is different  Tongue

For 5 years, I've heard how people wanted to remove the backrest from the Savage.  Now after Suzuki finally did just that, someone wants to install one.

Check the photos in the Technical Corner, and if you think the older parts will fit on your Savage40, I might be able to sell mine.  

Go for it  Grin

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #3 - 07/17/05 at 11:32:23

Tony, Another option is to swap with someone who owns a Savage. Basically what you need to do is swap fender rails and bolts. The fender rails for the Savage have the holes for the sissy bar whereas the S40s don't.  One of our members has already done a swap and the holes are the same on the Savage/S40 fenders.

I am actually looking to swap with someone if you would be interested in a swap, as I don't want the sissy bar... I have a 2004 Savage and the rails are in perfect condition. Let me know if you are interested.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #4 - 07/23/05 at 03:53:46

Susan,

Sorry this took so long to respond. I was out in Cape Cod for the last week and half. I like the idea of swapping but I am not sure I an ready for that yet. I am not sure I am going to like the back rest and I want to be sure I can just as quickly remove it and go back to the way things used to be.  From what I can tell, Everyone is saying if I buy the backrest from Suzuki, I am also going to have to change the fender rails? That might be more than I want to get into as I am sure I am going to want to swap back and forth at some points.

A friend has  a quick release version for his Harley, does anyone know if there is one that would work well the the S40?

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/23/05 at 06:19:18

btw- how DO you take off the backrest from a savage- the bolts seem next to impossible to get a wrench into!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/23/05 at 06:42:29

Taking off the backrest is "easy" on a Savage...NOT!
Remove rear turn signals.
Remove fender rail bolts.
Lift up.
Go in the house and drink a case of beer because you forgot to remove the helmet lock and now have to repaint the rear fender.
Take out the SIX bolts (2 are allen head) that hold on the backrest.

Get mad, throw the rails in a box to another state, the backrest and pad in a box to another country, and fill the holes.

Oh, wait, that's what I did.  Roll Eyes Seriously though, If you follow my directions, remembering to remove the helmet lock first, you'll be fine. Yet another example of stupid design for the sake of marginal function...the rails aren't even a structural member, they are free floating.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/23/05 at 08:09:59

thats to funny whoever messed with my bike before i got had the back rest just sitting in there i just had to pull it out.  Oh Well

Hey Greg are you looking to get rid of yours? my seat was all hacked up and when i tried to remove the screw was stripped into seat. to make a long story short it would be more work to fix mine and easier to buy a new one.  I promise to not buy any cellphones in the near future and pay you good money  Roll Eyes j/k but seriously i'm very intersted.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 07/23/05 at 11:24:09

lcs151 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
btw- how DO you take off the backrest from a savage- the bolts seem next to impossible to get a wrench into!
I mounted my saddlebags with the Savage sitting on the ground, rear tire in place.  This involved removing and replacing the siderails, relocating the turn signals, replacing a few of the mounting bolts.

Difficult we do immediately.  Next to impossible takes a hour or so.  Impossible may take upto weeks to get done.

WWW   IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/23/05 at 17:32:06

so what your saying is you have to take off all the side rails, turn signals and all just to get the backrest off??

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 07/23/05 at 18:56:40

You do not need to remove anything other than the sissy-bar and backrest.  Pictures looking down from the rear, looking slightly up and forward inside the rear fender, looking straight up at the underside of the siderail:

Remove six bolts holding the sissybar.  If I recall correctly, you have to loosen the other six bolts holding the side rails to give you enough wiggle room to remove the upper bolt and/or sissybar.  With the bolts out, the sissybar/backrest will pull up and out.

Warning!

The sissybar secures the rear ends of the side rails to the fender.  Without the sissybar the siderails are only held on by the front two and single middle bolts.  I would probably cut the sissybar, or cut and drill and tap pieces of bar stock, so as to restore the rear mounting of the side rails.

You might want to find some sort of square cap for the fenderrails where the sissy bar no longer is.  I didn't bother.  I ran without the sissybar for a couple of weeks, put it back when I mounted my saddlebags as the sissybar IS a load bearing part of the saddlebag mounting.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 22:46:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fitment of a backrest on an S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.