Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
White Spacer Clarification (Read 19 times)
Joe Archambault

White Spacer Clarification
07/15/05 at 11:06:55

I just picked up an 87 Savage last night, and I have been reading about them on this site.  Lots of great info, and many thanks to all.

I have a question about this white spacer mod.  I have it out right now, the spacer is on top of the e-ring correct?  Mine has a metal washer just below the e-ring also, this stays in correct?  I have a few #4 washers and will be trying that now, my goal is to get somewhere around 1/2 or less of the spacers thickness?  Oh yeah, the bike has a pipe (not sure which one, but it is load as hell) and I believe the stock air intake.  The plug has been drilled out already, and I am guessing anywhere between 1 and 2 turns out on the idle mixture from what I have read already.  Any other things I am missing?  Thank you very much for your time and expertise with this bike.

P.S.  Now I have 4 thumpers! (2 honda xrs and a grizzly 600)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: White Spacer Clarification
Reply #1 - 07/15/05 at 11:16:47

Sounds like you should wander into the Technical Corner and have a look for the carb topic.  You'll find schematics and pictures there.

IP Logged
Joe Archambault

Reply #2 - 07/15/05 at 11:22:02

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Sounds like you should wander into the Technical Corner and have a look for the carb topic.  You'll find schematics and pictures there.

I did that already, but just wanted to be sure about the metal washer under the e-ring as the previous owner has already been goofing around with the carb.  They told me the spacer was removed, and I found it in there, so I am just trying to be certain.  There is only 1 white spacer correct?  Thanks ..Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/15/05 at 11:23:47

Joe Archambault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
There is only 1 white spacer correct?  Thanks ..Joe

That is affirmative...
8)

IP Logged
Joe Archambault

Reply #4 - 07/15/05 at 11:28:07

Thank you very much.  I am going out to install it now.

What kind of bit does it take to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw?  It looks like some kind of taper proof head on the screw?  Thanks again.....Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/15/05 at 14:55:41

Joe Archambault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Thank you very much.  I am going out to install it now.

What kind of bit does it take to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw?  It looks like some kind of taper proof head on the screw?  Thanks again.....Joe

Normally the head on the screw is covered by a small plug with a hole in it.  Might be a small dab of paint on it too.  The plug has to be drilled out to adjust the screw...straight slot.

IP Logged
CanadianSavage

Reply #6 - 07/16/05 at 11:39:41

I am new to the savage world and I just finished the spacer modification as well. Where do the ends of the bowl vent tubes go when reinstalling the carb?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 07/16/05 at 12:04:24

I think there is a picture in the Technical Corner (no posts in there, though)...

The vent tubes curve up forward and over the top of the carb.  They fit on each side of that black module into a space in the frame backbone....which means the ends are at about the same height as the petc0ck under the tank.

IP Logged
CanadianSavage
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/16/05 at 12:47:50

Thanks Greg,

I noticed in the tech section that some people said that the spacer was best at 1/3 of the original size. I just took my savage for a short ride and it felt and sounded good with the whole spacer removed. Should I bother trying the 1/3 adjustment or leave it as is?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 07/16/05 at 12:57:07

CanadianSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Thanks Greg,

I noticed in the tech section that some people said that the spacer was best at 1/3 of the original size. I just took my savage for a short ride and it felt and sounded good with the whole spacer removed. Should I bother trying the 1/3 adjustment or leave it as is?

Well, personally, I don't know.  I set mine with 1/2 spacer and it seems fine (of course, I'm the one that started the whole 1/2 spacer thing 4 years ago) Smiley  

For your particular bike that may be fine for you.  The best thing to do is a plug chop, or at least check the plug after the engine has gotten good and hot.  There are a lot of things that can vary your results.  Smell gas or see black smoke?  Is the throttle response smooth from the bottom to the top?

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #10 - 07/16/05 at 20:11:37

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
For your particular bike that may be fine for you.  The best thing to do is a plug chop

I'm newbie so bear with me; what is a PLUG CHOP?

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 07/16/05 at 20:23:00

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I'm newbie so bear with me; what is a PLUG CHOP?

I love it Smiley

That would be going "wide the hell open" on a good deserted stretch of road for about a mile, then pull in the clutch, close the throttle, and then hit the kill switch.  You coast that puppy to a stop on the side of the road (no more gas), grab your spark plug socket and pull the plug.....that will tell you what your main jet is doing by the color of the plug.  

You chopped the throttle and checked the plug.... 8)

IP Logged
CanadianSavage
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/18/05 at 08:39:10

Now that I've been running it without a spacer I would like to compare it to using 1/2 the spacer. What is the best way to get a good split?

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/18/05 at 09:38:36

Now that I've been running it without a spacer I would like to compare it to using 1/2 the spacer. What is the best way to get a good split?

If you have something to measure the thickness of the spacer with, then go buy a few 3mm flat washers (some say #4 washers, but I found that they do not fit down inside the bore in the piston valve, or slide whatever you call it without grinding them down, 3mm fit right in there.)  Stack up enough 3mm washers to equal the thickness of half the spacer (I found it was about 2-3 washers), or whatever thickness you want to try, and use this washer stack instead of the white spacer.

This way you are not modifying the white spacer, just in case you ever need it as a reference or something.

Good Luck..Joe

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #14 - 07/18/05 at 10:04:28

You can do the 'el cheapo' way: find a rough concrete surface and grind it down to 1/2. On mine, I saw a thin line on the spacer left behind when it came out of the mold. That is the 1/2 mark. Happy grinding Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:43:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White Spacer Clarification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.