Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valves cover screaming (Read 5 times)
augh
Ex Member

Valves cover screaming
07/12/05 at 01:14:18

The other day while driving 125 miles thru my beautiful Tuscany I heard a strange sound coming out from the valve cover (this at least was my impression).  It's like a bell screaming  and is coming out, when the bike is decelerating, at low rpm's.  I like to keep valve clearence over the required free play adjustment ( I have the feeling that the bike has more power at low rpm's and gets  rpm's quicker) and the valves  are always noisy, but I never heard it  before.  Is it now the time to adjust the free play or could it be something else (cam chain??)??  My bike has 6,000 miles on.  Tx, Augusto.  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Valves cover screaming
Reply #1 - 07/12/05 at 05:51:15

augh wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The other day while driving 125 miles thru my beautiful Tuscany I heard a strange sound coming out from the valve cover (this at least was my impression).  It's like a bell screaming  and is coming out, when the bike is decelerating, at low rpm's.  I like to keep valve clearence over the required free play adjustment ( I have the feeling that the bike has more power at low rpm's and gets  rpm's quicker) and the valves  are always noisy, but I never heard it  before.  Is it now the time to adjust the free play or could it be something else (cam chain??)??  My bike has 6,000 miles on.  Tx, Augusto.  

Don't understand the description of a "bell screaming".

IP Logged
augh
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/12/05 at 06:20:40

Let me try to describe it:

It's a metallic sound coming out from the valve cover around 1500-2000 rpm's only when the bike is decelerating .  It reminds me a lament .  It' s not there when accelerating.  The frequency is very close to a small /medium bell .  I wish I could record it .  I had the impression that was created by the too much free play of the valves and  it appeared all at once .  Tx Greg for your attempt to help me find the reason of it.  Augusto.  

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/12/05 at 06:30:38

Sounds like something is loose that that develops a resonate vibration at a particular engine speed.  It'll only get worse until it falls off, unless you find and tighten the loose screw/bolt.

Our New Beetle did the same thing, but it sounded more like someone had added a 'fart pipe' to the exhaust.  Noticed only on decel as on accel it was covered by the louder exhaust and shorted duration of passing thru the offending RPM range.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 07/13/05 at 05:39:51

augh wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Let me try to describe it:

It's a metallic sound coming out from the valve cover around 1500-2000 rpm's only when the bike is decelerating .  It reminds me a lament .  It' s not there when accelerating.  The frequency is very close to a small /medium bell .  I wish I could record it .  I had the impression that was created by the too much free play of the valves and  it appeared all at once .  Tx Greg for your attempt to help me find the reason of it.  Augusto.  

Well, I don't know...but I think that I'd make sure not to run the engine until I had a peek inside to see what could cause that sound.  Doesn't sound good.

IP Logged
augh
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/14/05 at 00:50:29

OK , I worked on the bike adjusting the valves freeplay.
While disassembling the left chromed part on top of the engine, I noticed that the front bolt , the long one, was not tight.  I drove the bike only for few miles and could not hear anything strange.  Hope the problem is solved now.  I believe the bolt head created the problem.  Tx you all.  Augusto.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/14/05 at 05:04:22

Yeah, those chrome covers do kinda function as bells when not tight (or if missing any rubber pads).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/14/05 at 06:09:13

Is there any reason not to just leave the chrome covers off?  I've always thought they looked odd.  And I bet it'd make swapping the sparkplug simpler.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 07/15/05 at 06:27:33

How often do you need to swap the spark plug?

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/15/05 at 21:01:29

Might check it quite a bit while working out the jet.

So, are the covers purely cosmetic?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/15/05 at 21:21:54

Yep. Except for keeping small leaves out of the plug cavity.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/16/05 at 06:22:22

Cool; thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print