Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
She won't start- I need some help (Read 2 times)
wulfluvr
Ex Member

She won't start- I need some help
07/11/05 at 09:20:42

Hello, I  am new to this site and recently bought a '96 Savage LS650 and am without any manuals, but have ordered them.  I had a problem where my fuel valve got  turned to the reserve position overnight.  When I returned to it to start it, it started perfectly, then the engine cut out.  I was unable to start it again.  In doing some checking, I learned I needed to drain the carb of gas that built up in it.  I waited 15 or so minutes, put the fuel valve back to the on position as instructed,, then tried to start it.  It sounds like it's about to start, but won't turn over all the way.  What have or done wrong, or have I missed a step.  I  am no mechanic, and
I'm dying to ride my bike.  My husband helped me a little, but we are both learning.  Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: She won't start- I need some help
Reply #1 - 07/11/05 at 09:55:05

I have a couple of questions -
do you really mean it wont turn over all the way ? If so based on the other statements here - you have raw gas on top of the piston - you can pull the spark plug and spin it over and it will blow the raw gas out.
Leaving the fuel valve on RES will not do this if all is well - this sounds like two failures - the vac diaphram in the fuel valve is shot or disabled and the float needle is not cutting off the fuel going into the carb - either the float is adjusted incorrect, the needle/seat is worn or the float has a hole in it and is sinking.

You need to check the oil real soon - like NOW - if enough gas runs on top of the piston it will leak into the crank case dilute the oil and fry the engine.

This needs to be addressed right away - or it's going to lead to an engine rebuild.  

IP Logged
wulfluvr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/11/05 at 10:50:45

Hey, thanks for the reply.  I contacted the a Suzuki service department directly, and they said to put the fuel valve switch to the Prime position.  They said it sounded like I had the valve in the Prime position to begin with, and that's why the gas built up in the carb.  Also, they confirmed that in the Reserve position, it wouldn't have done that.  I was told to then try to start her up, and if it doesn't start right away, that the plugs are probably shot and need replacing.  I followed their lead and she started right up.  However, upon reading your message, I will check the oil right away.  It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about bikes.  Until I get my manuals, I am in a rough spot as this is my first bike and I want to do things right the first time.  Since it did start, I let it warm up for a while.  Should I have anything checked on it before I ride?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 07/11/05 at 10:58:55

Check the oil level - if it's too full gas has leaked in to the crankcase and needs to be changed before you ride it - if the carb is working correct PRI on the fuel switch will not do this either as the float will shutoff the fuel - either way check the oil

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 07/11/05 at 11:36:18

IP Logged
wulfluvr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/11/05 at 13:55:04

Man, you are the best.  Thanks for your responses, and all your help.  After everything you told me, the oil looks great.  No gas in it.  She's running like a champ.  being femail and getting honest help around here has been a losing battle for me.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #6 - 07/12/05 at 07:46:57

wulfluvr wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Man, you are the best.  Thanks for your responses, and all your help.  After everything you told me, the oil looks great.  No gas in it.  She's running like a champ.  being female and getting honest help around here has been a losing battle for me.  Thanks again.

Our guys are the best, aren't they?  Grin

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:38:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › She won't start- I need some help