Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hard to shift into 1st gear (Read 3 times)
Dave Bennett

Hard to shift into 1st gear
07/11/05 at 08:15:48

Hi everyone,

I recently sold my 96 savage to a co-worker and he asked me today if I had any problems shifting into 1st gear from netural.

I never had that problem when I had the bike, but the new owner says that he needed to roll the bike forward or backward to get it to shift into 1st.  Have any of you ever had that problem?   Is it a linkage adjustment situation that he may need to do?  I tired to make sure the bike was 100% mechanically sound when I sold it to him and would like to give him good info about the problem.

Thanks for listening.....

Dave B.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Hard to shift into 1st gear
Reply #1 - 07/11/05 at 08:28:39

Very typical with the Savage. Nothing to worry about. What I do when it won't go into first (rather than rolling the bike) is release the clutch and then re-engage. When I re-engage, I am able to shift the bike into first.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 07/11/05 at 08:29:26

It's always easier to downshift if the bike is moving.  If this fellow has stomped on it to get it to shift while stopped (like from 3rd to 2nd, etc.), he could very well have bent the linkage underneath.  It's about a 5 or 6 inch rod and is something like $6 to replace.  I've bent mine doing that before.  Once that linkage is bent, shifting becomes difficult and the linkage must be replaced.  Now, if for some reason I didn't downshift while moving, I'll feather the clutch to get the gear to engage and downshift again (repeat as necessary to reach 1st gear).  That keeps me from stomping and messing up the linkage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 07/11/05 at 12:58:35

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Very typical with the Savage. Nothing to worry about. What I do when it won't go into first (rather than rolling the bike) is release the clutch and then re-engage. When I re-engage, I am able to shift the bike into first.

I second with Susan's post

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:43:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard to shift into 1st gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.