Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plastic on Pipes Question (Read 1 times)
statjunk
Ex Member

Plastic on Pipes Question
07/11/05 at 05:13:07

Hi guys,

I was hoping you guys could help me out.  I was backing my bike into the garage and I accidently rubbed the muffler against a white plastic bag.  It melted directly to the pipe.  I would say there is about 3 sq inches of plastic on the pipe right near the end.

Can it be removed?

Thanks

Tom

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Plastic on Pipes Question
Reply #1 - 07/11/05 at 05:19:16

Use Easy Off oven cleaner. Get your muffler warm, not hot. Spray on the Easy Off and wait (read the can for time) then scrape off the debris with a wooden scraper.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 07/11/05 at 05:35:36

Statjunk -

Let us know how that turns out. I dropped a plastic bag against my muffler and it covered about the same area. Left a nice spider web appearance. I just cleaned it off gradually with bike cleaner (non abrasive) when the bike was cold, but the Easy off method sounds like a lot less labor. By gradually it took several cleanings over several days to make it go away.

IP Logged
statjunk
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/11/05 at 09:40:48

Thanks for the info.

I will keep you posted but I won't be able to get to this until Wed.

Thanks again

Tom

IP Logged
Clark

Reply #4 - 07/11/05 at 10:19:23

Be careful not to spray the oven cleaner on the painted surfaces.  I have used the oven cleaner to remove paint before on other restoration projects.  I would spray it on a rag and then apply to the warm muffler.

Clark

IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/11/05 at 17:46:37

Clark wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Be careful not to spray the oven cleaner on the painted surfaces.  I have used the oven cleaner to remove paint before on other restoration projects.  I would spray it on a rag and then apply to the warm muffler.

Clark

Good tip Clark..

Here is a previous thread on the subject under technical documents.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1109035210
cheers

Michael

IP Logged
statjunk
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/19/05 at 05:26:13

Hey guys,

Just providing an update.  

I placed a piece of cardboard behind the pipe after taking it for a ride around the block.  I sprayed the pipe down with a lot of the oven cleaner (It is some strong stuff).  The plastic didn't end up just falling from the pipe after waiting the 15 minutes.  I used wood shims to scrap it away.  It came off in layers.

I ended up doing it about 6-8 times each time scraping a little more.  In the end I ended up scraping it off with my finger nails.

The pipe looks fine but it did take a little bit of elbow grease.  While I was waiting for the oven cleaner to do its job I buffed the front rim with chrome polish.

Tom

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 07/19/05 at 05:56:27

Glad to hear you got your bike cleaned off.  Thanks for the update.

So much for oven cleaner being less labor than bike cleaner. At least with the bike cleaner all I had to do was keep cleaning if I had overspray Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:06:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plastic on Pipes Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.