new to savage (Read 5 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
new to savage
07/07/05 at 19:16:59

hi- thought I'd say hello, am picking up a new to me 2002 black savage with  33 miles.  Last bike was an rd350 20 yrs ago, so this will be a change. Cheesy  Missed riding but was busy with the children.  Several quick questions.. Is there a tach add on?  Will have to go through break in, have you found it important to take it easy, or can I kinda forget the recommended speed to shift as long as I don't lugg or at the other end, wind it out full throtttle??  Thanks in advance for any advice.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: new to savage
Reply #1 - 07/07/05 at 19:36:42

Congratulation on owning one fine fine machine Grin
Is that the 33 miles on the odometer ???
If it is you still have to brake her in (600 mi)
Personally, I think a tach on this bike is a waste because the bike will let you know it's time to shift(you can hear her screaming for mercy Smiley). But "Different strokes for different folks". There is way to put a tach on this bike(there a thread somewhere in here ??? but I am too lazy to look for it 8)) Maybe someone in here will get you to this thread Cheesy

Welcome to the Savage bunch

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/07/05 at 20:00:11

JirehCycles.com has a mini tach that should work.  It's $45, p/n 57-133.  Mine is on order, so I don't have more info.

And welcome to the club.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #3 - 07/07/05 at 20:48:01

can't answer the questions, but welcome to the club Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/07/05 at 21:36:10

If you baby the engine, the rings will NEVER properly seat. I broke mine in the first week I had it. Ride it like you intend to ride it post break in. Keep an eye on the oil, the rings seating in will add some "glitter" in addition to consuming a rather phenomenal amount of oil. Once the rings are properly seated, enjoy. Change the oil no later than 600 miles, and then every 1500 to 2000 miles there after (you'll know when, the clutch gets loose feeling when the oil is dirty).

It's a decent to excellent bike if you fit it properly. In essence, the DR650 dirt bike engine in an older GS250 streetbike frame. Both of which are/were tried and true platforms. The Sportster knock-off belt/pulleys are kind of touchy where the alignment and tension are concerned. Set it "loose", the bike is much better behaved (and chirps less). And the belt will last 3-4 times as long...

Have fun with your new ride. Welcome to the board.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kiwi_Mark
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/09/05 at 01:47:33

Welcome to the site, I too recently got back on a bike ( kids, mortgage etc ) and have found this site amazing.
Spend a few hours looking through and you will find heaps of help.
                 cheers

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #6 - 07/09/05 at 02:40:42

[glow=red,2,300]WELCOME [/glow] Trippah.

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 07/09/05 at 14:33:38

Welcome.  I'd say just do an oil change for the sake of age alone, then just ride it normally and do your 600 mile maintenance when the time comes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 07/10/05 at 17:56:39

HI- thanks for the replies.  Rode it home saturday, then practiced slow turns and stopping/staring on a hill.  Would be a bit embarrassed to drop the bike at some of the traffic lights I encounter on the road to work. Tongue  The front end does dive a lot when the front brake is applied, so maybe fork oil change along with engine oil change coming up soon.  One question, where do you carry your registration papers?  Gota admit, it isfun to ride.  Thanks again for all your help, I'm sure many ?'s to follow.

IP Logged
Joel
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/10/05 at 22:28:43

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
HI- thanks for the replies.  Rode it home saturday, then practiced slow turns and stopping/staring on a hill.  Would be a bit embarrassed to drop the bike at some of the traffic lights I encounter on the road to work. Tongue  The front end does dive a lot when the front brake is applied, so maybe fork oil change along with engine oil change coming up soon.  One question, where do you carry your registration papers?  Gota admit, it isfun to ride.  Thanks again for all your help, I'm sure many ?'s to follow.

I fold my papers up, put them in a ziplock and keep them under the rear seat.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 07/10/05 at 22:37:09

One question, where do you carry your registration papers?  

i carry registration papers for both of my cages, and thumper in my wallet.  this way if machine is stolen there are no papers on it. if stopped the thief will have a difficult time trying to expain that he "borrowed" it from me.

many vehicles are stolen at night and they don't get reported till the next day.  a window of opportunity then exists for the thief. some of whom have actually been stopped and let go because of a good "line".

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #11 - 07/11/05 at 02:26:14

One question, where do you carry your registration papers?  

I keep all my papers at home....do you people from USA have to have your papers with you?

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 07/11/05 at 04:51:24

8)Welcome Trippah! You're gonna enjoy your Savage!
I carry my registration and insurance card in a small bill-fold usually jammed into an a$$ pocket ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 07/11/05 at 06:49:28

gazab44 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I keep all my papers at home....do you people from USA have to have your papers with you?

Yep. May differ some by state, but in general we have to have our registration and insurance card with us when riding the bike.

I keep mine in my jacket pocket along with an emergency contact card (hubby's contact info; doctor info).

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 07/11/05 at 07:13:28

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Yep. May differ some by state, but in general we have to have our registration and insurance card with us when riding the bike.

I keep mine in my jacket pocket along with an emergency contact card (hubby's contact info; doctor info).

Ditto.  Ziplock bag in jacket pocket.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:05:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new to savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.