PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Clutch actin' funny?
07/06/05 at 00:36:57

Mornin' everyone ... hope that you all south of the 49th parallel enjoyed your July 4th holiday.
Anyhoo, while cruisin' with a couple of pals to Cape Spear last evening, I noticed that my '03's (3600 kms - 2232 mi) clutch was behaving a wee bit strangely ... different than when I rode her a few days ago. Now I ride very conservatively; easy on the shifting, slow & smooth with the clutch, etc. ... but last night I felt that the clutch wasn't engaging as smoothly as it should ... seemed to engage with a slight "jerK", abruptly with an audible "clack"? Any ideas here folks? Please bare in mind that I can manage a wee bit of light maintenance, but am no wrench.
Thanks in advance!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Clutch actin' funny?
Reply #1 - 07/06/05 at 10:43:55

I am no expert in here; but let start with the basic trouble-shooting:
- Is your clutch free play correct?
- What type/grade of oil did you use?
- How long ago was the oil change?

Hopefully with these info, we can start from there Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 07/06/05 at 11:11:55

Clutch free play appears correct ... approx. 3mm gap at lever pivot with lever in out position (in accordance with both the Clymer & MOM). Oil was changed approx. 600kms (373 mi) ago with Suzuki brand 10W40 m/c oil & was changed when Bike came out of winter storage at the end of April.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/06/05 at 11:55:03

Perry:

As others suggested, it is the clutch cable slack. As i am sure you know, the cable stretches with use.

Mine was also shifting hard like that. I knew what it was and ignored it untill I decided I had better do it, or risk other complications... I checked out the MOM and clymer, and quickly  tossed them aside, when I  found out that the only way to get it correct, is by trial an error.
Took me all of 10 minutes,and a few short drives around the driveway, and now she shifts like a dream...Hope that helps

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 07/06/05 at 14:20:21

I agree with Michael Smiley Sometime you have to tinker with the adjustment on the clutch cable a bit before you find that sweet spot. Mine acted up like your after my first 600 mi break-in. Even after doing everything by the book, it still shift crappy until I give it about 1/2 mm more of free play. My Suzy has been shifted like silk  Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #5 - 07/06/05 at 21:30:30

lets get some lub in that cable, could have gotten a little dry inside and is hanging up a little.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 07/07/05 at 00:51:24

Thanks for your replys everyone ... as I said before, I'm no wrench, but I figured I'd bite-the-bullet and have a go at it last evening. Managed to take the clutch cable off and used one of those cable-lube devices and a can of aerosol cable lubricant to apply a generous amount of the stuff 'til it ran out the other end. Re-installed the cable, adjusted the free play at the bar end to Clymer spec and test rode. Seems to shift better ... may have to monkey with the free play a tiny bit more to make perfect, but hey ... I actually managed a bit of self maintenance other than an oil change!
Have a 300km (200 mi) Group Ride planned for Saturday ... will post observations on how the Bike/clutch performs.
Danke everyone ... Ride Safe!

WWW   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 07/07/05 at 08:09:52

Satisfying when you can wrench it yourself, isn't it! Have a great ride!  8)

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 07/08/05 at 06:42:57

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
... seemed to engage with a slight "jerK", abruptly with an audible "clack"? Any ideas here folks?

Audible clack?  Did you fix that too?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 07/08/05 at 12:03:19

Hi Greg ... the audible "clack" wasn't really that loud ... didn't hear it (or least I don't think I did ...) when I test rode after re-installing and adjusting the clutch cable. Am going on a 300km group Ride to Cabonear, Nfld. tomorrow ... will note any odd behaviour (locals and Bike Wink)
WD mentioned that he adds some 2-stroke oil to every tank ... I also read someplace that some owners add "Marvel Mystery Oil" (a product developed for aircraft in WW2; not available in Canada) to every tank of gas ... supposed to keep linkages in the carburator lubed or something? Is this right? If so, how much 2-stroke oil is recommended?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 07/08/05 at 12:33:07

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hi Greg ... the audible "clack" wasn't really that loud ... didn't hear it (or least I don't think I did ...) when I test rode after re-installing and adjusting the clutch cable. Am going on a 300km group Ride to Cabonear, Nfld. tomorrow ... will note any odd behaviour (locals and Bike Wink)
WD mentioned that he adds some 2-stroke oil to every tank ... I also read someplace that some owners add "Marvel Mystery Oil" (a product developed for aircraft in WW2; not available in Canada) to every tank of gas ... supposed to keep linkages in the carburator lubed or something? Is this right? If so, how much 2-stroke oil is recommended?

I DO NOT recommend any oil additives in your gas.  Plain and simple.  I have never read anywhere about this practice being recommended by the manufacturer, either.  That is just an old "shade tree" thing for really worn out engines...

Maybe that's why I get 2-3 years out of my plugs, it always starts, and it doesn't smoke.

As Paladin says, "KISS".

8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:49:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch actin' funny?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.