Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Straight Pipe... (Read 19 times)
cain9580
Ex Member

Straight Pipe...
04/17/05 at 20:59:40

I am starting a little project in turning my Savage into a chopper.  I have never worked on engines, or naything for that matter, before.  

I replaced the stock muffler with a straight through pipe.  I was wondering what would be a good carburator for under $100, and what should I do with the fuel/air mix to maximize HP?

Thank you.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Straight Pipe...
Reply #1 - 04/18/05 at 03:17:54

Okay, here's the deal with hopping up a Savage. You can add a freeflowing exhaust like you already have. You can add a free or freer flowing airfliter, such as a K&N pod filter. Remove the emissions control (white) spacer and thin it down to half of stock thickness, and add a 152.5 or 155 main jet. Remove the idle mixture cover from the upper right side of the carb. Turn the air screw out 2 turns from stock, and reset the idle speed.

You can get different carbs for the bike. Is it worth it? If you want to go faster than say 80 on the freeway, you bought the wrong bike. The bike is capable of higher speeds, but, the brakes, tires, and frame aren't designed for it. If you just want to dial out the "pop" on shutdown, just drill out the mixture screw cover and adjust the mixture.

My bike has an open(ish) exhaust, the airscrew out two turns past stock, a dirty stock (original) airfilter, stock jets, and stock spacer. I pull down 70+mpg, and have run the bike up to 115 mph. Both are flukes, although one other bike has done 112 mph. Both speed and mpg are fine as is as far as I'm concerned.

Go through the technical and general boards with a fine tooth comb. All the mods you could ever hope to do to a Savage are pretty well documented. Also check out the Heise forum if you haven't already, it has been online since 1998, many gurus there who have yet to migrate here.

Happy tinkering.
-WD

FYI, you'll make more power if your bike has some backpressure, add a slip in baffle to your pipe, you can get them at any Harley shop, maybe even the authorized dealerships.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 04/18/05 at 07:30:32

115 mph = 7690 rpm

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 04/23/05 at 05:31:19

WD-

I GOTS TO KNOW...  How did you make 115?  What were the flukey conditions?  As a human being, you MUST let us know the story on that.

You're still around to write about it so you must not have dropped it off a cliff to make 115...

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/23/05 at 08:34:13

You did not mention whether you have a baffle in your straight pipe...if not , you should.  It will run better with a little back pressure,    &  soften the harsh  sound.  I much prefer a good performance muffler like the Supertrapp, etc, but even a sportster muffler will perform better than a straight pipe.  But if you like the straight pipe look then that is your choice...it's all about our choices and what we like.   If you want to keep the stock carb it NEEDS to be rejetted, at the very least a larger main jet and pilot jet.  A jet kit is a good way to go since the contain larger main jets and a needle with adjustment groves to tune midrange...you will need to provide your own pilot jets since the kits do not have them.  Add a K&N pod filter and you should be good to go.  
If you want more responsive performance than the stock carb you can always get an Edelbrock Quicksilver.  A used one on ebay can be had for about $50 or so, if you are patient and watch the sales.  The Edelbrock is very simple, it only has a needle, and that has a 30 click adjustment for fine tuning.  It works good, is very responsive, EASY TO TUNE,  and can be purchased cheap on ebay.  This carb on a Savage uses the K-6 or 13-E needle, and you can get the needle from Edelbrock for $13.  
Either way, modify stock carb, or get an Edelbrock, the cost will end up being about the same...but the Edelbrock will perform better...AND NOT JUST FOR TOP SPEED, BUT THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE RPM RANGE.
It is all about choices, whatever floats your boat.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #5 - 04/23/05 at 21:18:52

Almost thou persuadest me to try an Edelbrock.  Already have an Eddie 4bbl on my Buick, and I love it as much as a Holley.  Got an extra Eddie for the Sav?

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #6 - 04/23/05 at 22:11:56

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Almost thou persuadest me to try an Edelbrock.  Already have an Eddie 4bbl on my Buick, and I love it as much as a Holley.  Got an extra Eddie for the Sav?

Give lancer a shout he gets them every now and then. I bought one from him I don't have it on yet but it is great shape. I will let you know how it goes. 8)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/24/05 at 01:03:50

Bobo, it's a closely guarded trade secret... actually I stripped it of everything it didn't need to run. Alcohol based racing fuel, 1.5 miles of speed build up. The speed wasn't a guess. Track end trap and police radars were within 1/2 mph of each other. I can still bury the needle without trying very hard.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 04/24/05 at 06:44:37

Sorry Bobo, no Edelbrocks right now.  I do have some Amal Mark 2 round slides...a lot like the Mikuni and Keihin performance carbs.  They are brand new, 38 mm, just the carb.  They will need a throttle cable and the mount that bolts to the engine and/or adapter for mounting.   If you are interested in one I would need $175 (did not get as deep a discount on these).  I am setting up one on my Savage now to get the precise jetting worked out before I put up a sale ad on this site.  I will probably put together a kit with carb, cable, mount, prejetted, K&N filter, et al.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 04/27/05 at 10:54:49

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Alcohol based racing fuel...
-WD

Does that mean ya'll make your own?  Smiley

"Alcohol based" ...what else is in there?
Nitro? PO? Vermouth? Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 04/27/05 at 11:21:40

Vermouth is da debil.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #11 - 04/29/05 at 16:41:54

Vermouth is just a mixer,
tequila is the debil. Tongue

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 04/30/05 at 13:14:23

You only wave the bottle of vermouth over the vodka for a martini.  Never actually put it in the glass.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/30/05 at 15:36:03

mr650, I've got the recipe for do it yourself nitro blended fuel...I'll see if I can find it. 5% nitro ia about all the stock engine can take though. The alcohol based fuel was from a Shell racing pump. I could make my own, I've set up stills before... Roll Eyes
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 05/08/05 at 23:20:39

Always cool to meet folks into experimental fuels and beverage's 8)
To get this topic sorta back on track,

I swapped the Supertrapp's open end cone w/ a Flat cap and added 8 more.  If memory serves the LS650 Trapp comes w/ 8 discs and I added 8 more = 16.
Just as Supertrapp predicted there was a sort of flat or lean spot just as the carb came on to the needle jet w/ the open end cone.
Now the bottom end feels stronger as I rode around this afternoon. The reason I switched was for inspection prior to tag renewal and I wanted to quiet the 650 and close the obvious open end. Well it closed the open end AOK, but I may need to remove some discs. The sound was reduced, but it is still closer to the open cap level than I expected and far from the stock pipe.  Grin
BTW; Got the pack w/ BOTH the round stainless cap AND the aluminum cap, 8 new discs,6 new bolts and copper antiseize on eBay for $30. They only sold 7 of 25 packs offered.

Supertrapp 4" Aluminum Endcaps with Discs

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:15:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight Pipe...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.