Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Horn replacement? (Read 19 times)
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Horn replacement?
07/01/05 at 05:00:15

The horn on my Savage is pretty weak (like most I suppose).  I would like to replace it with something much louder.  I had no success in finding any documents describing the process (from removing the old one, selecting a compatible horn, and installation).  Every time I do a search on "horn", I end up with a ton of posts with "buckhorn" in it.

Anybody have experience with this and want to share some insights?

Tim

IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Re: Horn replacement?
Reply #1 - 07/01/05 at 05:07:06

Here's a list of the motorcycle horns available at JCWhitney.com: Link

I like this one because it looks to be about the same size and uses spade connnectors:

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 07/01/05 at 05:31:34

The problem is that most bike horns sound much like the one you have already.  Look into a car horn similar to one of these.

I picked up a pair like this for $6 at my local Harbor Freight and used the one oriented like the one on the left so that the horn opening is at the bottom of the curl (so as not to trap any accidental water) and facing forward.  Just take a look at your local auto parts store, Harbor Freight (if you have one) or even JC Whitney.  A car horn will get folks' attentions much better than something from a Roadrunner cartoon.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 07/01/05 at 05:40:16

I went with a cage horn, scares the crap out of people when they think a buick is about to hit them.  Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/01/05 at 06:40:27

How does one remove the stock horn?  I see that there is a bracket held on with 2 large screws.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/01/05 at 06:56:47

And then there's just the one nut attached to the threaded stud protruding from the center of the horn.  That's how the horn attaches to the bracket.  Just about all of these horns have that arrangement.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 07/01/05 at 09:09:02

I replaced the 105db disc horn with a 138db blaster:

I now sound like a large car rather than a little bike.  I need to add the high tone mate to sound like a Caddy.

It just about mounted in place of the stock disk, using the extension bracket that came with the horn.  I may have used a longer bolt.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 07/01/05 at 10:20:36

Exactly Paladin.  Mine looks very similar except mine's red and black with the chrome grille on the front.  In fact, mine looks exactly like the yellow and black set shown above except mine are red instead of yellow.  I think I used and extension too... and then had to adjust it slightly because I hadn't accounted for the turn signals when the steering is turned to the left.

DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/01/05 at 22:00:38

Here's a thought:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839

This is a Stebel Nautilus, supposedly the loudest horn you can get.  I'm putting one of these in my car.  Not sure where I'd hang it on the bike.  Supposed to make it sound high-pitched and annoying like one of those Italian sports cars.  Gotta do something to combat all those starry-eyed twinkies with cell phones and Range Rovers.  

RideSafer.com has a pretty good selection of regular and disk-style horns.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #9 - 07/01/05 at 22:45:12

You can get a pair of the Magnum Blaster 138 db electric horns for a $25 start bid.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 07/03/05 at 10:46:20

I'm pretty happy with mine right now.  At the moment it makes the bike sound something like a '74 Impala.

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/03/05 at 13:21:15

I'm thinking about wiring in a micro compressor and a set of air horns off a scrapped tugboat. Or a diesel locomotive. West Coast cage drivers are deaf, blind, and braindead.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #12 - 07/03/05 at 15:38:04

The link DavidV posted was to compact Italian air horns with an equally compact compressor.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/03/05 at 16:18:25

I'm talking the HUGE airhorns. Louder than a siren. Horns that require at least a scuba tank worth of air storage... Anyone know where the UnionPacific, CSX, or ship scrap yards are? Even a "Freightshaker" horn isn't loud enough where I live.  Angry
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/05/05 at 08:50:23

WD,

Here's one, since you want to go really big:

http://www.groverairhorns.com/

A guy from my last office had a set of ship horns on his truck.  Way loud enough.  Loud and a much deeper tone than regular auto air horns.

And these guys make'em for ferries:

http://www.airchime.bc.ca/

Not sure how you'll get these things mounted on a bike, (or if you'd really want them so close to your own ears) but I'd love to see it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:30:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horn replacement?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.