Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 backfires (Read 4 times)
suzophyte
Ex Member

S40 backfires
06/29/05 at 07:22:16

I recently purchased an '05 with 850 miles. It backfires when the RPM's are winding down while slowing. The previous owner drilled holes in the plate just inside the end of the muffler, so I'm wondering if this causes the backfiring. I also just noticed that if I leave the choke halfway out, it backfires much less. I'm wondering if I should get the added holes welded over. Also, I'm wondering if the holes have voided the warranty. I haven't visited a Suzuki dealer.

I bought this bike to carry on the back of my motorhome using a class three hitch hauler, whick adds just a few feet to my overall length. It seems like the perfiect bike in terms of weight and power, just so I can get around when vacationing while the rv is parked. I would like to add a windshield to cut down the wind in my face, and a sissy bar for passenger comfort, if anyone would like to recommend the most economical way to add these features.

Thanks for your input.

Suzophyte

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: S40 backfires
Reply #1 - 06/29/05 at 07:41:03

There is lots of information about backfires in this forum, since my bike was running pretty well (even if lean) from the factory, I've only adjusted the idle screw. I'll probably take the spacer out and replace it with a half spacer during my next maintenance interval (coming up soon). Incidently, some people like the backfire - they think it gives the bike personality.

Take a look at the information here - probably a search either for "backfire" or "white spacer" will find you way more information than you need.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #2 - 06/29/05 at 15:34:50

Shocked  Oh no , get rid of the backfire!!  Cheesy   From all that I have learned on this forum, the backfire is normal for this lean runnin machine. The cagers wake up a bit when they "hear" me throttle down and if it ever fails to backfire when I hit the kill switch I wonder what is wrong.  Definetely gives me and my Thumper some personality.  Wink    Enjoy your new ride, even if you choose to remove the backfire. Smiley

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 06/29/05 at 15:58:31

Paula71 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Shocked  Oh no , get rid of the backfire!!  Cheesy   From all that I have learned on this forum, the backfire is normal for this lean runnin machine. The cagers wake up a bit when they "hear" me throttle down and if it ever fails to backfire when I hit the kill switch I wonder what is wrong.  Definetely gives me and my Thumper some personality.  Wink    Enjoy your new ride, even if you choose to remove the backfire. Smiley

guys and girls phart it's a part of nature, so does the machine, it's a perfectly natural thing.  also you can use the sidestand switch as a kill switch to force the back fire. it does open some eyes.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 06/29/05 at 18:02:15

And you can have a few laugh when your bike fart so loud that the pedestrian get ready to hit the deck Grin

They thought a drive-by shooting is happenning Shocked

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/29/05 at 19:12:32

Mine does an excellent imitation of a 105mm howitzer...rev it up, keep it held, and hit the kill switch... smoke, flames and a HUGE boom... 8) Not the nicest thing to do to the bike, but, what's the point of having it if you aren't having fun with it.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #6 - 06/29/05 at 19:17:39

Before I got the jetting right, I enjoyed doing that at red lights after dark.  Big fireball that lasted several seconds.  The kids in the SUVs next to me loved it.  Hot moms, well, some did and some didn't.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
suzophyte
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/29/05 at 19:19:52

It's just that I keep loosing girlfriends when it backfires and they dive off the bike in to traffic!  Really, for my taste and where I ride, the quiter the better, but I'm enjoying the wilder perspectives!

Suzophyte

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/29/05 at 22:46:24

i wonder how hard it would be to make a flame thrower
just a coil with a plug in the muffler and switch?

im sure it would at least backfire via switch,

hmmmm. might be fun. haha

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 23:00:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 backfires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.