Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help!  My '05 S40 has been deflowered! (Read 7 times)
iKrayg
Ex Member

Help!  My '05 S40 has been deflowered!
06/26/05 at 21:28:14

Hello group,

I recently took my S40 in for it’s 600 mile initial maintenance.   When I got my bike back the idol was set really low and the tech had adjusted the shifter lever lower "so it would be easier to up-shift" (what?!).  Upon driving it home I noticed it would now backfire at random times whenever I let up on the throttle.  And now it no longer backfires when I shut the engine off (a feature that I liked).  When I got it home after adjusting the shifter control back to it’s proper position I discovered the plug for the air mixture screw was missing and the screw had markings that it had been F***ed with (the deflowering I speak of Angry ).  Upon further inspection I noticed the seat was reassembled improperly, the tab at the front was not in its slot but resting on top of it ready to be cracked.  This is all I’ve found so far.  I only hope they accidentally torqued the cylinder head bolts properly.
Thanks for posting the carb specs in the technical area of this message board.  I’m gonna give that mixture three turns out setting a try.

Craig

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Help!  My '05 S40 has been deflowered!
Reply #1 - 06/26/05 at 21:49:59

Uncovering the mixture screw was a good deal.  The rest sounds pretty f'd up though.  Good luck.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #2 - 06/26/05 at 22:29:24

Sounds like you need to go back to the stealership and raise a ruckus.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 06/26/05 at 22:31:09

The ONLY reason I had mine dealer serviced the first time was because I was cut a super deal on it. After that time, it's ALL on me if it gets screwed up.

NEVER take a bargain priced bike to the dealer for service. Forget the warranty aspects, 90% or more of the time, the service writer will find a "loophole", and you get stuck footing the bill anyway. If you can't/won't do the work yourself, ask around the local riding community and find a trustworthy independent bike mechanic.

The only time I roll into the local Suzuki shop is to flip them off. When my son and I went looking for a bike for him, they treated us like something they scraped off the sole of their dress shoes...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/26/05 at 23:09:34

iKrayg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
...When I got my bike back the idol was set really low and the tech had adjusted the shifter lever lower .... the plug for air mixture screw was missing and screw had marking that it had been F***ed with... the seat was reassembled improperly.....

And now you know why I wanted a bike simple enough so that I can do my own maintainence.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 06/27/05 at 00:45:02

deflowered   ???. that implies that there was pleasure involved. Wink this does't quite sound the case.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 06/27/05 at 03:19:17

Now you can understand who not many of us ( the forummembers) leave the maintenance to the dealer ( stealer).

To check if the headbolts have been torqued ( I doubt it)
check if there's new sealant around the headcover.

Get the Clymer or Suzuki Workshop manual, a dependable mechanic ( your good self) , some tools and start doing your own maintenance, we'l help you from a distance.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/27/05 at 08:06:36

the PMS screw:

From where it is, turn it in till it runs like garbage. note the position. Then turn it out until it runs like garbage again. Note the postion. Set it between the two. This should give you a good pms setting.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 06/27/05 at 18:43:43

??? And you pay them to mess with your bike :'(

This is why I did not bring my baby to the stealership for that first 600 mi. services eventhough I bought it brand new. I did it myself with the somewhat  Roll Eyes trusty Clymer manual along with all the great posts on this forum. It seems hard on the first time try to work on the bike; but with a little patient and attention, you can be proud that you rided and did your own service on the Savage Grin
How many HD rider can say that Tongue

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
iKrayg
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/28/05 at 08:34:01

Thanks for all the support!   Grin

I forgot to say before that with the new idol mixture setting it had trouble starting when cold too.  Bastards!  And the backfiring while letting up on the throttle sometimes would throw my timing off for shifting.  
I've set the mixture screw to three turns out now and it is running much better, but with out a tach it's difficult to find the optimal setting.  I'll try vroom1776's trick tonight (thanks).

The pisser now is with the air screw plug removed I can't stop messing with it myself.  At least before I knew I had the extra work of having to remove it to keep my own tinkering at bay.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #10 - 06/28/05 at 14:27:00

iKrayg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The pisser now is with the air screw plug removed I can't stop messing with it myself.  At least before I knew I had the extra work of having to remove it to keep my own tinkering at bay.

Better you than anybody else, especially the dealership.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 06/28/05 at 17:35:25

for a better description of what I'm talkin' about try:

http://www.mikuni.com/c-tuning_guide.html

&

http://factorypro.com/ then go to CV carb tuning then low rpm engines...

enjoy!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 16:15:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!  My '05 S40 has been deflowered!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.