Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: What machines have you owned?

What have you done?
How have you done?

« Created by: Thumpertoo on: 04/20/10 at 20:34:29 »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
What would you ride if the Savage650 didn't exist? (Read 1616 times)
Kaishaku

What would you ride if the Savage650 didn't exist?
06/21/05 at 07:52:30

I seem to keep asking myself questions like this because, even though I really like everything I've heard about the Savage, it seems too small for me to me comfortable on for very long (stock, anyway).

So, what would you ride if the Savage 650 didn't exist?

Or, what bike could be considered the 'big sister' of the Savage?

(I really like the looks of the Volusia 800, and shaft drive would be fantastic)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: What would you ride if the Savage650 didn't ex
Reply #1 - 06/21/05 at 08:06:48

1936 Crocker.
HD 6 volt Big Twin.
Honda air cooled CB.
Yamaha Maxim or Special.
British vertical twin from the 1960s.
Kawasaki KZ1000 Police.
Suzuki air cooled GS.

Other than the Savage, those are the only bikes I'd consider. Pretty much in that order. Chain driven only. Chopper/bobber versions there of. WITH kicker, WITHOUT electric starter.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #2 - 06/21/05 at 08:13:23

This one is easy for me to answer, I just bought the Volusia to go along with my Savage. It is good bike for longer traveling. My goal is to travel route 66 from beginning to end before I turn 50, this bike should help me do that. I bought the Mustang seat and I couldn't be happier. Plenty of power (someday maybe a hyper charger, can't leave it stock, that's not fun). If this is an option for you check out Volusiariders.com, it's a great site, like this one, there are used bikes there all the time. That's how I found mine.

Jen
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/21/05 at 08:32:37

VStar 1100. Oh wait, I've already got one!  Decided I'd better gat a bigger/faster bike after I rode muy savage 5000 miles in 5 days.

Hahaha. On that trip, the cam adjuster broke with 800 miles to go. Despite running like garbage, it still made it too! What a bike!

Still ride my savage... way faster in the twisties...

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/21/05 at 08:55:20

You mention that the Savage seems too small -- that's the reason I picked the Savage.  The second choice bike a toss between a 250 Virago and the GZ250, with the GZ250 winning because it was a single.

Assuming extended high speed cruising, assuming no LS650 available, assuming a new bike, assuming California where the Enfield Bullet is not CARB cerfitied:

The next step up in the Suzi line is liquid cooled and thus rejected.  As are the Kaws.  And Honda.

Which dumps me onto a Yamaha V-Star Custom 650 air-cooled Carbureted 474 pounds curb weight.  Except that's a shaftie.

So I would probably end up on a Triumph Bonneville T-100.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 06/21/05 at 08:58:34

What would I Ride if the LS650 weren't available? Well from todays new-Bike marketplace, it would likely be either 'Zuki's S50, Hyosung's GV650 Aquila (gawd I hate that name ...) or possibly the V-Star 650 Custom ... maybe a Harley 883L Sportster.
From models no longer available as new ... Honda's GB500TT or CMX450 Rebel, or Kawasaki's W650 ... love the looks of the Vulcan 800A too ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #6 - 06/21/05 at 10:33:34

I think about this far too often….if this was limited to “new, production bikes”….
1 – Triumph America – 790cc, 500lbs, air cooled and hey, it’s a triumph. I’ve yet to sit on one and I’ve had friends tell me they’re pretty big – but other wise they sounds close to perfect.
2 – Suzuki Marauder – Chain driven, air cooled, 800cc Model. The new s50 looks nice and all, but liquid cooled, plus shaft drive = no.
3 – I’d “possibly” consider a Sportster, but would end up chopping it to such an extreme it would probably not be worth it, especially because when all was said and done, it would still be a Sportster.

More than likely I will end up picking some basketcase bike and just rebuilding it from the ground up, maybe a xs650 or something similar. Sounds like more fun, but there is also a part of me that wouldn’t mind picking up a brand new shiny bike right off the show room floor, warranty and all – especially a Triumph.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
Kaishaku

Reply #7 - 06/21/05 at 10:46:33

What's wrong with shaft drive and liquid cooled motors?

(No, I really want to know!  I'm basing a large part of my research on which bikes are the most durable and lowest maintenance)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 06/21/05 at 11:31:00

I'd go get a victory 8-ball maybe - Like um a lot

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 06/21/05 at 11:46:02

Kaishaku wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:

(No, I really want to know!  I'm basing a large part of my research on which bikes are the most durable and lowest maintenance)

Shaft-drive is probably the lowest maintenance final drive available though it costs more in the first place and could get expensive if anything actually went wrong. Liquid cooling is more efficient than air/oil cooling but obviously takes more to maintain.  It also adds to the bike's initial cost.  I like the Savage's system because of its simplicity; To me, it's sort of like a preference for a manual transmission over an automatic.  There's less to go wrong in the first place and in many cases, I could actually work on it myself.  With greater complexity comes an increase in initial cost and a decrease in my ability to effect maintenance myself.  As with automatic transmissions, if the design and technology are sufficiently mature and the manufacturer builds with quality, the maintenance is very low.  But then, wrenching is part of the hobby for me...  You know, Zen and the Art of..........

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Kaishaku

Reply #10 - 06/21/05 at 12:44:28

Ah so.

I just dislike that no matter what I do I can never get the chain really clean.  Tongue

One thing I'd love to have is hydraulically adjusted valves!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 06/21/05 at 13:24:29

actually i've never even considered the issue, my last machine was an 81 gn400 the savages older brother, i got 98,000 miles on it before it gave up the ghost. it was a no brainer to buy the savage. so to answer your question. the 650 bmw thumper. because who really needs more than one cylinder.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Kaishaku

Reply #12 - 06/21/05 at 13:55:45

Ability to easily pass 100 mph has been a criterion for every bike I've considered.

Why?

Because even the slowest, POS, Hyundai econobox can do it, and I always have nightmares about getting run over in a Mad Max-like chase by a Hyundai.

So, yeah, I guess some of my considerations are just a little impractical or at least more emotional than anything.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 06/21/05 at 14:09:11

Kaishaku wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:

K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple, Stupid!

I like simple because when it does break, and everything eventually breaks, I can fix it myself rather than taking it to a dealer and/or finding out that the replacement part(s) are no longer available.

WWW   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/21/05 at 14:23:00

If I couldn't have another Savage, I'd look at a Ridley, saw one in town the other day, the rider was a short fat old lady -- just like me. It sits low and I wouldn't have to worry about shifting when my joints hurt. It would be like riding an old Cushman!

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:09:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What would you ride if the Savage650 didn't exist?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.