babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Rubbing sound
07/02/10 at 06:37:25

I have a rubbing sound that I only hear when I pull out from work.  I've heard it the last 5 or 6 times, but leaving work is the only time I hear it.
I can only describe it as the sound you get when a rubber brake pad on a bicycle rubs against the wheel.  Appears to be coming from the rear, so I thought maybe something was rubbing the rear tire, but I can't find anything, and no marks on the tire to suggest anything.  My saddlebags can't swing around far enough to touch the tire.  

Here's the scenario.  When I pull into work, I'm heading west, its a 90° right turn from a 55mph road.  The driveway is slight uphill grade coming in.  I pull in maybe 100 feet, stop, then back up turning another 90°, so the bike is now facing East.  While backing, I'm going down the slight incline, so I'm using the front brake.  So when I leave work, I pull forward, and then right 90°, coast down the slope to the main road, and left on the main road.  I hear the sound only when I am coasting that short distance (1st gear, no clutch, but no throttle).  

The first time it happened, I stopped before pulling on to the main road, and looked all around the rear tire to see if something was rubbing.  Couldn't find anything.  Next couple times, just thought it was strange, since I never hear it any other time.  Yesterday, I finally asked hubby to look at it when I got home.  We can't find anything.  He thinks it just because I have to back up several feet, downhill, turning, etc... probably something to do with the rear brake drum maybe, but nothing to worry about.

Anybody have any thoughts for me?  I guess I need to do some tests at a different location to try to replicate the sound, unless someone knows something off hand.    

('06 model, 5500 miles)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Rubbing sound
Reply #1 - 07/02/10 at 08:42:21

Without questioning either your description or your hearing, are you sure the sound comes from the rear? In a helmet it can be difficult to be sure. My thought is that it might be the front brake. Disc brakes usually do not have a return spring other than the rubber seal on the piston. They depend on slight play and vibration to move the pads away from the disc. With your backing and filling I imagine you use the front brake - because you probably want both feet on the ground. Then when you move away very quietly you may hear the front brake rubbing a little. You might try it with engine and helmet off, and see if you can be more sure.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/02/10 at 08:51:41

My first thot is the bike is celebrating you being off work & thats the way it says "Whooppeee".
Then, my next thinking is, next time you pull in, try to not use thr front brake leaving the road & dont use it in the parking lot or until you get back n the road.

Hey, When you leave, youre compressing the forks in a turn, right?
Do you have a fork brace? Im wondering if this is fork noise b/c of an uneven pressure driving the front wheel up with a sideways force trying to thingy the front wheel so one side of the axle is higher than the other.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/02/10 at 09:24:17

Well,.. the only thing movin' back there is the wheel and the belt...
I vote,... belt...

Put a little somethin' on the belt,... and see if the sound changes...
... also try repeating the same circumstances at a different location...(just in case your parking space is haunted)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 07/02/10 at 09:24:23

No, I am not positive its coming from the rear.  It seems to be, but I agree that the helmet could affect what I'm hearing.  Maybe it could be the front brake.

I do not have a fork brace, and that's another mighty fine thing to consider.  If hubby comes to ride home with me, I think I'll have him walk along beside me as I head toward the road, and he can carry my helmet to me.  Or I'll get a co-worker/rider to do it.  Maybe one of us can get a good listen.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/03/10 at 18:11:26

I hear a rubbing sound also when I am backing out of the garage.  The engine is not on when I back out and I am not using the brake but I am turning the front wheel  sharp as i am backing out and then rolling it forward out the garage and into the driveway.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 07/03/10 at 20:31:36

It could be the front brake pads. Mine always made a rubbing sound. If this is the sound and the front wheel rotates freely, I wouldn't be concerned.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rubbing sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.