Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
kymco (Read 7 times)
shawn_b
Ex Member

kymco
06/20/05 at 20:56:38

http://www.kymcousa.com/gallery/still/Venox_Blk.jpg
anybody hear of this thing almost as much hp as the savage and only a 250 Embarrassed i think it said 28@8,000

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Re: kymco
Reply #1 - 06/20/05 at 21:20:34

Yah, but it is pretty easy to get more out of the Savage.  It has like 1/2 the torque.  It's also heavier than the savage.  What has always eirked me is the tiny gas tanks our bikes have.  Even this thing has a 3.7 gallon tank.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 06/20/05 at 21:21:28

there's a couple of them out there like the alpha.

i have serious doubts about the actual horse power.  

it does look nice for a bounce around town kind of commuter.  stop lite to stop lite  the savage would just eat it up.

i am also concerned about quality.  the alpha's i've seen in person look pretty shoddy when you look past the fancy paint job and chrome.

but hey, for some people it could be a really nice starter bike.

personally i could give a ratts arse what somebody rides, whats  important is that they ride ride ride, and don't look down on me for riding a "rice burner" (paid for in cash i might add).

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 06/20/05 at 21:24:42

Hammy211 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
.  What has always eirked me is the tiny gas tanks our bikes have.  Even this thing has a 3.7 gallon tank.

it's that way so your butt wont get so sore with the seat it has.  fuel range and butt sore rating is about the same on the savage. that's why i went for a solo springer seat, much more comfortable.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/21/05 at 06:49:05

shawn_b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
http://www.kymcousa.com/gallery/still/Venox_Blk.jpg
anybody hear of this thing almost as much hp as the savage and only a 250 Embarrassed i think it said 28@8,000

Advertised horsepower is a marketing ploy.  The figure cited is PEAK horsepower -- which tells you nothing about how much horsepower and torque is available across the actual powerband.  The spec page lists max torque as 14/8000.  8000 rpm for peak torque tells me that it likely has no low end torque -- which is what you need for brisk acceleration.  Along with it's 400+ pounds weight it is likely to be a dog in traffic matching the performance of a 125 Kawasaki Eliminator.

The MSRP of the Kymco 250 is $500 more and it's weight is a 100 pounds greater than a Yamaha Virago 250 with it's known high quality and vast dealer network.  If you must have something different that no one has accessories for and knows how to fix the Kymco would be a good choice.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/21/05 at 06:56:10

Now that I really look at it...it sort of reminds me of a YUGO.

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #6 - 06/21/05 at 08:57:41

I was at the Chicago cycle show 2yrs. ago and Kimco had the product line on display there. The stuff looks good to the eye but tiny motors, slim parts availability, and scarce retail dealerships in the U.S. all present some difficulties. They do make dirt bikes, ATV,S and scooters too that look just as good as the cycles, and are affordably priced but until I see a dealership or marketed advertisements, I'd be cautious about getting one at this time. If it breaks and they go out of buisness it cold be a big problem!! Good looking bike though I agree that the styling is well done for out of the factory.

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 06/23/05 at 02:19:18

Kymco motors and scoots are made in Taiwan and are just now being offered for sale in Canada ... from what I've read these 2-wheelers have been selling in Asia for years and are a staple of transportation over there, with a reputation for reliability.
Watch 150-250cc scooter sales explode here in North America over the next 5 years ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #8 - 06/23/05 at 06:27:10

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
....Watch 150-250cc scooter sales explode here in North America over the next 5 years ...

THAT I would like to see.  I rode a '74 Yamaha DT175 dirt and street for over a dozen years, with different countershaft sprockets for dirt and street.  The 175 was more than capable of any city duty short of hopping on freeway, and was freeway legal if I had an absolute need to do so and didn't mind hunkering down across the tank to cut wind drag.

The 150-250 range used to be considered to be mid-size bikes ideal for the city.  You do not used a 10# sledge to drive tacks.  Somewhere along the line we've gotten away from motorcycles as basic transportation, but I think it is starting to come back.  Especially as more and more people watch bikes snake past them as they are stuck in a traffic jam.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/23/05 at 07:11:25

I'm seeing a lot of scooters on the street here in Baltimore.  Most of them are ridden by adults going to work, too; not by kids.  Folks must be buying them for the gas mileage - it sure ain't the "cool factor" that's selling them.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/23/05 at 07:36:22

I'm not fond of the lines of the Kymco. Looks like a V-Max on an acid trip.

You guys are rght about the resurgence of micro motors. I can't keep Trail anything Hondas in stock. Or Riva, Spree, Elite scooters.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #11 - 06/23/05 at 09:02:46

My local Shell station upped the price of 87 octane motor fuel (it does not merit being called gasoline) to $2.399 -- up 10 cents since last Friday.  I'm saving $.25 per mile riding versus driving.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 06/23/05 at 10:49:27

Wow.  The last time I filled up, the cheapest I could find was $1.979 at the local grocery store's outlying station.  That price included the $0.06 discount for having just purchased in excess of $50 in groceries at the store.  I think the local Conoco and Exxon were about $2.069 or close to that.  Either way, the prices in Dallas seem friendlier.  I understand a lot of the difference is the difference in additives required by the various localities - not to mention good ole capitalism charging what the market will bear.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 06/23/05 at 14:22:42

SadMan ... even with high crude oil prices your gasoline is still cheap at $1.97 & $2.39USD per US gallon ... here in St. John's, Nfld it's $0.993CDN per liter ... with a coupla conversions that works out to $3.04USD per US gallon ... and it's scheduled to go up another 3 cents/liter next week ... Sad

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:32:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › kymco

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.