Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jet Kit Questions (Read 3 times)
SniperZ
Ex Member

Jet Kit Questions
06/13/05 at 22:19:36

Hey everyone,
  I just bought a DynoJet Stage 1 jet kit for my 2005 S40.  I plan on installing it this weekend along with a stock replacement K&N filter and MAC slip-on.  This will be my first attempt at rejetting a carb.  The instructions for the jet kit say to reuse the stock white spacer with the new needle included in the kit with the clip positioned in the #4 groove from the top along with the #144 main jet.  So my questions are:

#1) I know how evil the white spacer is with the stock main jet and needle, so should I reuse it with the new needle and jet, if not then what groove should the needle clip be in (there are 6)?

#2) Considering I am using the MAC  muffler AND K&N filter, should I go up to the #146 main jet right away or stick with the recommended #144 (the instructions say use the #144 with a aftermarket exhaust, but don't mention the air filter)

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Jet Kit Questions
Reply #1 - 06/14/05 at 07:36:20

You'll want to go to the 146 right away - even with a stock muffler.  If you get a MAC, you'll want to replace it with something larger like a Mikuni 152.5/155/157.5.  Note that the numbering system with the DJ jets is not the same as that of the Mikunis.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/14/05 at 11:14:19

I almost bought the jet kit you are referring to but the mechanic told me it would be pointless and not big enough for the muffler and airfilter I was installing.  I don't know what DJ sizes convert to but unless 146 in compareable to at least a 152.5 I would think you'd need to go even larger than that once you get you muffler.  Jets are pretty easy to switch without removing the carb as long as you have allen bolts.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 06/14/05 at 11:32:15

I think the DJ 146 is closer to a Mikuni 147.5 or possibly a 150.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/14/05 at 12:12:46

im trying to learn what all this means...i just got SE pipes and want to probably re-jet the carb.  which dyno jet kit should i get? what else do i need to get? just want my engine to sound awesome and my bike to run better. so what do i need to get to make these pipes work?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 06/14/05 at 12:30:58

Here's the conversion from the tech post section

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104263751

lcs151 - if you read and follow the carb topics you'll see this discussed in great detail - so far as the SE - if it were me I'd start with 1/32" white space - that would be about 1/3 the stock thickness and a 155 or 157.5 main jet - and set the idle mixture screw out from soft all the way in to about 2 turns out - from there you may need to do a plug chop&read at various rpms -but i'd bet you'd be close.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #6 - 06/16/05 at 00:52:27

I don't think you all are considering the dynojet needle may be smaller diameter and tapered different.
If the kit allows for open exhaust that is where I would start &  w/ the white spacer and maybe raise it one notch (by putting the clip down one or not, depending on how many beers I had for breakfast).
It would be cool if you could put a caliper on it and measure and compare the Mikuni vs. DJ needles diameter along the length at several points to give us some idea of the difference prior to installation or take some close-up shots and post the pics if it is obvious Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/16/05 at 12:00:10

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I don't think you all are considering the dynojet needle may be smaller diameter and tapered different.
If the kit allows for open exhaust that is where I would start &  w/ the white spacer and maybe raise it one notch (by putting the clip down one or not, depending on how many beers I had for breakfast).
It would be cool if you could put a caliper on it and measure and compare the Mikuni vs. DJ needles diameter along the length at several points to give us some idea of the difference prior to installation or take some close-up shots and post the pics if it is obvious Grin

I didn't mic 'em out to be exact about it but held 'em against each other and the only difference I can see is the DJ needle has multiple notches for the retainer-clip where the stock only has one.

Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #8 - 06/17/05 at 23:47:14

They promise to make more power than stock.
Sounds alot like an 86 needle and a bigger jet to me.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/15/24 at 16:12:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jet Kit Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.