Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1982 savage needs help - oops! its an 86 (Read 3 times)
sniperjim
Ex Member

1982 savage needs help - oops! its an 86
06/08/05 at 09:05:31

I am in  position to help out a friend and by his 82 savage for 300.00 however it is in rough shape.  As far as I can tell, it needs a new battery, gas tank, the front brake caliper is frozen, and probably needs a new wiring harness.  How difficult would it be to return this gem to a fully functional work of art considering it is an 1982 and I do not have the space or tools to do any fabrication work.  Additionally, does anyone know of any oem parts manufacturers for the 82.  I mostly see parts for 86 and up?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: 1982 savage needs help
Reply #1 - 06/08/05 at 09:36:49

the 82 is a 250 dirt bike right?

like this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6027&item=4...

or savage/ls650 like this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6027&item=4...

Ebay would be a good source for parts for the 82 dirt bike

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #2 - 06/08/05 at 13:32:11

If your looking for original Suzuki parts, you should be able to go to any Suzuki dealer. they have a parts program called "SCAT" that pretty much includes any machine Suzuki ever made. you'll may pay more for Suzuki parts, but at least you'll be able to find what you're looking for. hope this helps you out.

IP Logged
sniperjim
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/08/05 at 21:25:13

Thank you both for your replies!  I did a vin search on the bike and it is actually an 86 ls650.  I don't think I will have a problem getting everything thing I need and I have reviewed the posts in this forum enough to know exactly what I want to do with this bike.  The only problem I am having is finding a replacement Gas tank.  The one on my new bike is rusted through the bottom, has no cap and the speedometer housing is cracked.  I can find the electronics, but does anyone know where I can find a new tank?? JCWhitney doesnt have one.

P.s.  I plan on doing a whole before and after picture post (I am very excited about rebuilding this bike)

Thanks again!!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 06/08/05 at 21:34:05

'86 sounds better ! - I see a couple of tanks on ebay right now

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/08/05 at 21:39:36

Find a tank for a VN500 (Kawasaki Vulcan). It will fit beautifully, and as a bonus is 15 liter instead of 10 liter.

Savage tanks can be found fairly regularly on e-bay (e-pay?). Caveat emptor...buyer beware, several e-bay tanks have come through my bike shop recently...pure junk...mostly CB750K but, a used tank is a used tank, they ALL need work (so do new ones for that matter).

I can't get one for you. My shop has a whopping 4 OEM Savage pieces left...and they should go in the dumpster out front...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: 1982 savage needs help - oops! its an 86
Reply #6 - 06/09/05 at 03:27:27

http://search.ebay.com/Kawasaki-VN500-Vulcan_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

There's a '97 Kawi VN500 Tank on e-bay right now at $100 USD

WD do these bolt-right-on the LS, or is some fabrication req'd?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 06/09/05 at 06:04:34

Go to Bert's forum and ask Peter the Blacksmith. He's the one who promotes them so highly as a replacement tank. If the tank needs replaced anyway, I figured a 5 liter bigger tank was better than the puny stocker.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #8 - 06/09/05 at 07:02:27

The pricing of Savage tanks on ebay is erratic at best, but I would say the average used tank goes for $40-$75. If it’s black, it tends to go in the high end of that range. After searching for the right deal for a long time I finally won an auction and grabbed one for $40 - it’s bright yellow with a few small dents. Color and perfection didn’t really matter to me though because my intention was always to strip it and repaint it (I have an extra set of fenders I’m doing the same thing with.).

A couple other “hidden” costs to keep in mind – shipping. Find out what this is going to be BEFORE you bid. A shady seller could turn winning a gas tank for $40 into a total cost of $80+. I paid $20 for shipping, which I felt was appropriate, although lower would have been nice. Other thing to keep in mind is what you can’t see from posted pictures – interior rust. You should ask the seller about the interior condition of the tank.  You might luck out and get something with a pristine interior but personally I would just plan on dealing with some sort of interior rust. I talked about the por15 tank lining kit in another recent thread, but to get to the bottom line, plan on spending another $40 on de-rusting, de-gunking and lining the tank. I wasn’t too psyched when I realized I had to do this, but the upside of it is once it’s done, the interior of your tank is bulletproof to rust.

As for the speedo – that’s something else you can find on ebay relatively cheap. The gas cap and key might be a different story – most tanks come without a cap/key. I’m not sure if there is a work around so that you could get a cap that uses the same key as your bike, but my first thought would be you would have to have a separate key just for the tank. I could be wrong about that.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
sniperjim
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/09/05 at 17:52:47

Thanks to all for your replies.  My focus on a new tank is not cosmetic, I don't mind sanding her down and taking a few dents out.  This tank is essential for me to even put the bike on the road due to the fact that the one currently on it is rusted through the bottom.  

You guys are great.  I am glad I found this forum.    

Jim

IP Logged
sniperjim
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/10/05 at 21:30:49

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Go to Bert's forum and ask Peter the Blacksmith. He's the one who promotes them so highly as a replacement tank. If the tank needs replaced anyway, I figured a 5 liter bigger tank was better than the puny stocker.
-WD

I Like the looks, but I still need to know if it is an exact match.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/10/05 at 21:42:23

He says it's a direct bolt on. I've got one at work. I'll double check. Give me a day or two.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sniperjim
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/11/05 at 00:10:13

Thanks!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print