Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT SLIP ON (Read 8 times)
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
I LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT SLIP ON
05/31/05 at 16:55:07

O.K. HERE'S THE DEAL, I WANT TO ADD A SLIP ON TO MY BIKE BUT  I'D RATHER NOT GET IN TO RE-JETTING, MESSING WITH AIR/FUEL MIXTURES, OR  FABRICATION TO MAKE IT FIT. I LIKE THE WAY THE SUPER-TRAPP SOUNDS BUT DON'T CARE FOR THE 4" DIAMETER AT THE TIP. I WOULD RATHER NOT RUN A STRAIGHT PIPE EITHER. BASICALLY, I'D LIKE A SIMPLE BOLT ON FOR A RESONABLE PRICE. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!! I'VE ONLY FOUND TWO, ONE WAS A STRAIGHT PIPE AND THE OTHER THE SUPER-TRAPP.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: I LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT SLIP ON
Reply #1 - 05/31/05 at 18:58:41

Mac Slipon, $90 plus tax and shipping.  Sounds good.

From what I've read here if you add a free flowing exhaust you'll want to balance it with improved inflow.

WWW   IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/31/05 at 19:13:35

You know Chris it is not nice to try and fool Mother Nature for we are all captives of Physics and the Laws of Concentrations. Paladin is, I think, spot on.

The other changes are not too difficult to make and there is considerable assistance on this board as well as in the Clymer Savage Manual if you require or want it.

Much luck and enjoyment with your project.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/31/05 at 20:17:14

No such thing as the "perfect" slip-on...Jardine turns blue too quickly, Supertrapp is ugly (sure works good though), Mac is expensive, Raask is LOUD, Motoasia is junk, Emgo doesn't fit properly, HD doesn't fit properly without convincing...and they ALL require minor to severe carb tweaking to get the most benefit out of them. Simple physics...what goes out has to be replaced by the same amount of incoming whatever...  Tongue
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/31/05 at 21:24:50

Oh yes, if you start tweaking things then you must  finish ALL  the tweaking.  So, from what you said it sounds as if you want the look without the work...yes?  Get the look you want with a muffler, and do a little work on the carb....it is not hard and does not take that long.  Besides, when you have finished your bike will sound a lot better and will have more power and be more responsive....LIFE IS GOOD!

Besides, you will learn some good stuff.

Check the MARKETPLACE for some Screaming Eagle mufflers coming soon.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #5 - 06/01/05 at 10:06:06

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS, THE ONLY REASON I DON'T WANT TO GET IN TO RE-JETTING AND FABRICATION IS FOR WARRANTY REASONS. I'M A MECHANIC AT A LOCAL SUZUKI DEALER AND THERE HAVE BEEN QUESTIONS RAISED OVER SOME OF THE RACE 4-WHEELERS THAT HAVE HAD PROBLEMS AND THE FACT THAT THE CUSTOMERS DID MODS. TO THE ENGINE AND SUZUKI WAS FROWNING AGAINST US WARRANTING THESE MACHINES. IT'S NOT THAT I CAN'T DO IT, IT'S THAT I'D RATHER NOT IF POSSIBLE. A LITTLE TWEAK TO THE AIR/FUEL SCREW IS ONE THING, BUT TO HAVE TO REJET AND MESS WITH THE AIR BOX AND ALL THAT... I'D RATHER NOT. WHERE CAN I FIND SOME OF THESE PIPES YOU GUYS HAVE METIONED? AGAIN, THANKS GUYS I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSES.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/01/05 at 10:14:22

Here's the MAC muffler for $95.  You can ignore the 86-87 bit.  It fits my 98 just fine.  It is loud though and honestly, if you're not going to rejet, I'd probably stick with the stock muffler.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 06/01/05 at 10:38:19

So we DO have a certified Suzuki Mechanic on board. I remember Greg posting about that a while back. CHRIS have you seen a lot of the leaking head cap in the past and do you see the improved cap as a proper fix?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #8 - 06/01/05 at 16:05:03

HONESTLY BENTWHEEL I DON'T GET TO SEE A LOT OF CRUISER BIKES AT ALL. I LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE 4-WHEELERS ARE THE REAL DEMAND AND BASICALLY THE ONLY REAL WORK I GET TO DO ON BIKES IS BASIC SERVICE WORK OR INSTALLING ACCESSORIES. THAT IS WHY I KIND OF RELY ON YOU GUYS TO HELP ME OUT WITH THESE QUESTIONS.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 06/01/05 at 16:19:31

CHRIS wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
HONESTLY BENTWHEEL I DON'T GET TO SEE A LOT OF CRUISER BIKES AT ALL. I LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE 4-WHEELERS ARE THE REAL DEMAND AND BASICALLY THE ONLY REAL WORK I GET TO DO ON BIKES IS BASIC SERVICE WORK OR INSTALLING ACCESSORIES. THAT IS WHY I KIND OF RELY ON YOU GUYS TO HELP ME OUT WITH THESE QUESTIONS.

imho   TROJANS

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #10 - 06/01/05 at 19:03:13

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS, THE ONLY REASON I DON'T WANT TO GET IN TO RE-JETTING AND FABRICATION IS FOR WARRANTY REASONS. I'M A MECHANIC AT A LOCAL SUZUKI DEALER AND THERE HAVE BEEN QUESTIONS RAISED OVER SOME OF THE RACE 4-WHEELERS THAT HAVE HAD PROBLEMS AND THE FACT THAT THE CUSTOMERS DID MODS. TO THE ENGINE AND SUZUKI WAS FROWNING AGAINST US WARRANTING THESE MACHINES. IT'S NOT THAT I CAN'T DO IT, IT'S THAT I'D RATHER NOT IF POSSIBLE. A LITTLE TWEAK TO THE AIR/FUEL SCREW IS ONE THING, BUT TO HAVE TO REJET AND MESS WITH THE AIR BOX AND ALL THAT... I'D RATHER NOT. WHERE CAN I FIND SOME OF THESE PIPES YOU GUYS HAVE METIONED? AGAIN, THANKS GUYS I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSES.

You probably know this already - the bike is lean even with the stock pipe.  Any higher flow pipe will make it even more lean, and the warranty guys will really frown on that.  Too lean can actually damage the motor, but too rich just ruins spark plugs.  I really think your Suzi shop probably sells a dynojet kit that they (your shop) would back up a warranty claim on as part of the purchase deal.

Bike shops ain't supposed to do it, but most do if you buy the stuff from them.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savi650
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/03/05 at 11:22:41

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
You probably know this already - the bike is lean even with the stock pipe.  Any higher flow pipe will make it even more lean, and the warranty guys will really frown on that.  Too lean can actually damage the motor, but too rich just ruins spark plugs.  I really think your Suzi shop probably sells a dynojet kit that they (your shop) would back up a warranty claim on as part of the purchase deal.

Bike shops ain't supposed to do it, but most do if you buy the stuff from them.

I read you, exactly what I did.  I had to buy a dynojet kit from the stealership in order for them not to void my warranty + they installed it of course.  Which is OK I guess, at the end of the day I'm still covered and they did a nice job on the bike as well.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #12 - 06/04/05 at 17:56:49

OH YEAH, I SEE THE LEAN PROBLEMS ALMOST EVERYDAY, ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER WHEN SOMEONES 4-WHEELER WON'T START OR STAY RUNNING WHEN IT GETS BELOW ABOUT 40 DEGREES. THE BAD THING IS THEY PUT THAT LITTLE PLUG OVER THE AIR/FUEL SCREW AND MOST PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA IT'S EVEN THERE. I'VE SEEN SOME MACHINES LEANED OUT SO MUCH THAT THE HEAD PIPE WILL TURN CHERRY RED AFTER ABOUT FIVE MINUTES AT IDLE. MOST OF THE TIME IF YOU TURN THE AIR/FUEL SCREW OUT ABOUT 1/4 TO 1/2 TURN YOUR FINE, OR YOU CAN JUST LISTEN TO THE ENGINE AT IDLE AS YOU TURN IT.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 06/05/05 at 08:19:57

Okay...first things first.....No need to yell.  On the left hand side of the keyboard is a button that says, "Caps Lock".  Can you press that button please?

Now, considering all this input, plus the fact that you work at a dealership...what is the question anyway?  You have got to be the first bike mechanic that I have ever met that has a problem with being a bike mechanic.  Have you ever actually worked on a Savage?  Got to be simpler than a 4 wheeler....

Now, if you want to install a slip-on, you can buy one that doesn't need any mods to the bike.  That would be a Mac, a Jardine, or a SuperTrapp.  They are pretty much "plug and play".  You may also install any of them without a need to "REJET AND MESS WITH THE AIR BOX AND ALL THAT..." but you will wish that you had.  Why?  Because, your bike will be even leaner running, will have more popping, and you will soon turn your new chrome investment into a nice shade of blue.

I bet that your boss can explain what you need to do  8)

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #14 - 06/05/05 at 18:08:56

Sorry greg for turning you the wrong way, i simply wanted to know if there was a slip on out there that would bolt on with little or no modification. i totally understand the concept of how a carb. works and the whole air/fuel mixture deal. F.Y.I, i explain how things work to my boss almost everday, not saying I'm a genius, just not a retard.  sorry for being forward but i'm not in to being put down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 06:24:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT SLIP ON

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.