Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Day of Firsts (Read 2 times)
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

A Day of Firsts
06/04/05 at 17:16:10

Wow.  I had a great day today!  

Took the Savage and the Intruder out together.  Hubby rode the Savage and I rode the Intruder with my 14 year old son on pillion.

It was my husbands first long ride (100 miles)
It was my first 100 mile ride with a passenger
It was my son's first 100 mile ride
It was our first ride together
It was our first group ride (another rider joined us)
It was our first ride in the rain... we got caught about 20 miles from home.

It was so awesome!  Up until now, I have pretty much always ridden by myself since hubby didn't ride.  He got out this past week and put in some parking lot time on the Savage and this was his first "big" ride.  He did great and we all loved it!

It was a perfect day.  Even the rain was nice.  It was a little scary at first, since neither of us had ever been riding in the rain before, but it was fine and it didn't last too long.

The AirHawk performed nicely for my hubby and my son and I were both very comfy on the nice leather seat on my Intruder.

IP Logged
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Re: A Day of Firsts
Reply #1 - 06/04/05 at 17:35:14

Congratulations!  I can't wait for mine.  Was your husband nervous at all?

IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/04/05 at 19:15:19

I'm sure he was, but he rode well.  He spent several hours over the past few days in the parking lot of the local town hall, turning circles, starts and stops, etc...

The ride today didn't start out to be a 100 mile ride, it just happened that way...  I stopped several times and made sure he was okay and he seemed to be.  He said he had a great time today.

I think one of the most important things when riding in groups is that the group be willing to ride at the level of the least skilled rider.  Since it was me, my hubby, and his close friend, there were no egos involved and the friend and I were both interested in seeing that my husband had a positive experience and enjoyed the ride.

I won't say he did everything perfect because he certainly didn't.  But nobody was there making fun of him or pushing him beyond his comfort zone.  He got noticably nervous when it started raining, but we were willing to wait until he was ready to get out there again, and it all turned out great.

Be sure and check back in as soon as you get yours.  Have you ridden before or is this your first bike?

IP Logged
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/04/05 at 19:33:45

I bought mine (from a kid who purchased it with winnings from "Fear Factor, no less!) to ride with my husband, who owns a Volusia.  (Poor bike, quite a step down to a 41 yr. old mom  Wink)   I had never ridden before, but started practicing a couple months ago with his advice.  My MSF Course is June 18.  It helps so much to hear stories like yours (and your husband's) because I started out very intimidated.  My first solo trip around the neighborhood helped, though.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #4 - 06/04/05 at 20:59:14

How very exciting for you! Did you practice in the parking lot with a passenger before heading out? Or were you just ready to go?  My first long trip was 70miles a few weeks back with my husband, who has the C50T(volusia).  It was a comfortable ride and no rain to worry me.  But I am a little worried, we are starting to have those pop up Thunderstorms now and I just know I will get caught in one before to long.  Congrats on all your firsts!

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/04/05 at 22:37:21

Way to go.

If you have good tires, rain isn't too bad (TRUST me on that, I grew up in the Seattle area- I have gills- and used to live on the Mississippi Gulf coast, torrential rains year round both places). Can't wait to try the Savage on snow this winter... dirt bike rear tire, front ski, ski equipped outriggers...had that set-up on a 45 inch HD, and loved it.

100 miles on an 800 Intruder pillion...your son must wear steel skivvies... Grin

Sounds like you had a good time. Keep it up, before you know it, the family will be riding to Laconia, Americade, and other New England rallies.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 06/05/05 at 08:34:41

On my first bike, a '64 Honda 50, I went out on the hard packed ice/snow covered streets wearing tennis shoes and my dad's puttees.  Sat with my legs out as outriggers and spun the rear tire and slithered and slid all over the road.  Had a blast.

Which brings up the matter of puttees.....

WWW   IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #7 - 06/05/05 at 09:56:56

Bluejeanz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Wow.  I had a great day today!  

Took the Savage and the Intruder out together.  Hubby rode the Savage and I rode the Intruder with my 14 year old son on pillion.

It was my husbands first long ride (100 miles)
It was my first 100 mile ride with a passenger
It was my son's first 100 mile ride
It was our first ride together
It was our first group ride (another rider joined us)
It was our first ride in the rain... we got caught about 20 miles from home.

It was so awesome!  Up until now, I have pretty much always ridden by myself since hubby didn't ride.  He got out this past week and put in some parking lot time on the Savage and this was his first "big" ride.  He did great and we all loved it!

It was a perfect day.  Even the rain was nice.  It was a little scary at first, since neither of us had ever been riding in the rain before, but it was fine and it didn't last too long.

The AirHawk performed nicely for my hubby and my son and I were both very comfy on the nice leather seat on my Intruder.

Congrats Blue. What did your son think about it?

IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/05/05 at 18:11:36

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Way to go.
100 miles on an 800 Intruder pillion...your son must wear steel skivvies... Grin

Grin  Acutally, it's not the stock seat and is really quite comfortable.  He didn't complain at all and actually said it was a good ride.  He's gone about 30 miles on the STOCK Savage pillion and had a LOT of bad things to say about that ride.

I rode around the neighborhood a little bit with my son on the back of the Intruder before taking off on a long day like yesterday, but I'd ridden him around so much on the Savage that it really wasnt' a huge adjustment.  He's a very good passenger.

And you're right, WD, with good tires, the rain really isn't that bad.  After the hot day we had yesterday, it was pretty refreshing actually.    We got pretty wet, but after the initial 30 minutes, we got back on the road and finished the ride.  We went a little slower, but otherwise, it wasn't much different.

And Mike, my son LOVED the ride.  He was so psyched by the whole experience.  He was elated when we got home and saw that the trip meter showed EXACTLY  100 miles.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/05/05 at 20:26:22

Keep it up. Riding is a good family activity. Ranks right up there with camping, hiking, fishing, Scouting, etc.

Iused to ride on the Savage pillion all the time before I yanked it off and sent it to a rider in London (yes, England, along with the passenger pegs). Good way to stretch out for us over 6 footers...

Your VS looks pretty sharp. Enjoy, Lisa rode the wheels off of hers before we moved out here, and will again once I get it running for her.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 06/06/05 at 14:31:30

Hey girl! You've come a long way since last year! I'm so excited for you that hubby is riding. It makes all the difference in the world -- I love riding by myself but it is fun to ride with someone too. Congrats on all the firsts!  Smiley

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/06/05 at 14:57:31

Thanks...I feel like I was born to ride.  I cannot believe all those years I let go by without a bike of my own!   Embarrassed

Sometimes I get on my bike and I can't believe that it's only been a few months.  It's only been 8 months, 5 of which the ground was covered in snow...

And yes, I am *thrilled* that my hubby is riding.  I love to ride by myself too, but for the long rides, it's a lot of fun to have him along.  Throw my son on the back, and we have a great family outing!

This looks to be our best summer in Maine, ever.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #12 - 06/06/05 at 21:29:17

Congrats, riding in the rain is not to bad, if you have the right protection got stuck on the Highway last summer with just a skull cap, found out rain hurts at 65mph, jealous about your spouse riding with you I have had my Savage for about 6 or 7 years and my wife has only ridding once with me and that was last summer.
she liked it but has a huge fear of all the cages on the road.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/06/05 at 21:35:39

me to i cant talk the boss in to just a ride :'(

shawn

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home