Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just Did Seat Mod (Read 17 times)
gandalph40
Ex Member

Just Did Seat Mod
05/30/05 at 16:26:49

I just did the seat mod and, man(!) that was easy.  I used 2 1" rubber stoppers with a 1/4" hole drilled in them as spacers (from Home Depot) and 80mm screws...I actually could have done with a little shorter screw or a little longer stopper...I have pics if anyone wants to see them...

Now, I just can't wait to go test it out...too bad it's raining in Alabama.

Tom

IP Logged
lordzamize
Ex Member

Re: Just Did Seat Mod
Reply #1 - 05/30/05 at 18:16:11

Post the pics please  Smiley

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #2 - 05/30/05 at 18:45:49

lordzamize wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Post the pics please  Smiley

diddo I am wanting to do the same 8)

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 05/30/05 at 20:41:23

The middle of the seat has pads that rest on the frame.  With the front raised then no longer do so and the plastic pan could break.  Check where the pads are in the middle of the seat and add a half inch to those cushions.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 05/30/05 at 20:48:28

The little square funiture stick on feet ( about 1/2 in square and 3/8 -1/2 inch thick) work well - just clean the flats well and stick 2 or 3 per side to keep the seat flex down.

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/31/05 at 15:59:12

This is a link to a picture of the front part of the seat mod.  Just behind the tank you can see 2 rubber stoppers...I intentionally left the stopper on the right "compressed"...I backed off on that right-side bolt before I fastened everything down, but I wanted to show what happens if you torque it down too hard.

http://webpages.charter.net/tyoung1106/P1010006.JPG

I didn't post the picture because it's so large.  

Hope this helps!

IP Logged
Ike

Reply #6 - 07/05/05 at 18:03:34

Nice Job Grandalph40, looks better than any other seat mod I have seen
Ike

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #7 - 07/05/05 at 21:41:19

gandalph40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
This is a link to a picture of the front part of the seat mod.  Just behind the tank you can see 2 rubber stoppers...I intentionally left the stopper on the right "compressed"...I backed off on that right-side bolt before I fastened everything down, but I wanted to show what happens if you torque it down too hard.

http://webpages.charter.net/tyoung1106/P1010006.JPG

I didn't post the picture because it's so large.  

Hope this helps!

Looks great but hows it feel???  8)

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/06/05 at 05:09:09

Well, let;s say it's 100% improvement (which is still not perfect...).  I spent 2 solid hours in the saddle yesterday and I was pretty comfortable until about 15 minutes from home.  Before the mod, I could only stand 60-75 minutes before I HAD to get off the bike.  

I like the way the rubber stops seems to give just a bit and I definitely don't have to fight to keep myself off the tank anymore.  

Next mod...highway pegs...

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #9 - 07/06/05 at 16:58:25

gandalph40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Well, let;s say it's 100% improvement (which is still not perfect...).  I spent 2 solid hours in the saddle yesterday and I was pretty comfortable until about 15 minutes from home.  Before the mod, I could only stand 60-75 minutes before I HAD to get off the bike.  

I like the way the rubber stops seems to give just a bit and I definitely don't have to fight to keep myself off the tank anymore.  

Next mod...highway pegs...

Thank you 8)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 07/06/05 at 21:17:15

Speaking of a seat mod, I ordered a piece of medical quality gel waffle style pad for my seat.  I am going to take the 2-piece seat pans and make a one piece contoured seat out of it.  The gel is 12"x24"x1 3/4".  I will use just enough of the stock foam to act as a base for the gel...about 1/2", then put down the gel and add a 1" layer of memory foam.  That should give me a seat worth sitting on.  I would like for it to look something like the new gel seat that Suzuki has.
That big piece of gel cost $55.
I will take some pics along the way and post them.

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #11 - 07/07/05 at 03:48:59

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Speaking of a seat mod, I ordered a piece of medical quality gel waffle style pad for my seat.  I am going to take the 2-piece seat pans and make a one piece contoured seat out of it.  The gel is 12"x24"x1 3/4".  I will use just enough of the stock foam to act as a base for the gel...about 1/2", then put down the gel and add a 1" layer of memory foam.  That should give me a seat worth sitting on.  I would like for it to look something like the new gel seat that Suzuki has.

Please do sir  8)

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #12 - 07/07/05 at 03:49:33

Sounds comfie  8)

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 07/07/05 at 08:05:42

That's the sort of stuff I used on my seat and it is really comfortable.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 07/07/05 at 08:16:54

That sounds like a good plan.  I didn't add the memory foam.  I thought the seat would be more comfortable a bit lower, so I left out the foam altogether and put the waffle-gel into it.  The position is good but it's not enough padding.  I'm really looking at a springer solo seat now but not quite sure yet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:36:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just Did Seat Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.