Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Problems
05/27/05 at 14:06:30

Hello all,

I ahve a 1990 400cc Savage, and have the following issues I need advise on:

a. My petc0ck's diaphragm seems to be pinched, and needs replacement, any ideas if just the diaphragm is vailable? or the petc0ck is a complete unit?

b. When the bike is idling, and if I remove the oil fill cap, I can feel burst of air coming out, does it mean I need new piston rings? and machine the cylinder?

c. I know the valve seals and guides need repair, don't worry about that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

RW

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Problems
Reply #1 - 05/27/05 at 14:30:15

When you remove the oil fill cap it is normal to feel and hear pressure released.  As far as a replacement diaphragm, I believe they are not available, but perhaps others can  clarify this.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/27/05 at 16:14:55

I think you could always use the Convert petc0ck to MANUAL operation ON/OFF/RES procedure and not really care about a new diaphram - but not if you want to use your petc0ck like it is designed.  When I look up the part anywhere, they always seem to list the entire assembly though.  Personally, I'd be looking on eBay for another petc0ck assembly at a reasonable price and in the mean time, I'd either attempt to fabricate a replacement diaphram or convert the petc0ck to a standard ON/OFF/RES via the above linked procedure.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 05/27/05 at 16:31:14

The reason that you feel pulses of pressure from the oil filler is the very reason for the breather port on the top of the head cover.  

When the piston moves up it displaces 650 cc of space in your combustion chamber (2/3 liter), and this causes an inrush of air into the crankcase (normally sucked in the breather).  When the piston moves back down the air is again displaced and pushed back out....you don't normally see or hear any of this with the breather hose connected to the airbox.  

Now just imagine what could happen if you simply plugged your breather hose (in removing the airbox for example).  How would the pressures become equalized then?  May seem silly once you think about it, but I know that this very thing has been done by others.

BTW - in a multi-cylinder like a parallel twin or four, all the  cylinders tend to balance eachother as they are all in sort of complimentary equal positions in the rotation.  In this case, a breather is more for the venting of air and water vapor than pressure.

So, don't sweat your rings on this one, unless you are belching blue smoke out the exhaust, too. 8)

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #4 - 05/30/05 at 12:57:31

OK Greg,

Thanks for the reply, I understand that all that air must go somewhere, but isn't it supposed to be all displaced out the exhaust? If the piston is going up, the valves are closed, the air/fuel mix is compressed, and ignited by the spark, which pushes the piston down, right so far?  8)

Then, the piston goes back up, with the exhaust valve open and the combustion residues are pushed out thru the exhaust, right?  8)

With the inlet valve open, the piston goes down and sucks air/fuel mix into the chamber, and the cycle begins again...  8)

Now, where is that air you talk about coming from? My mechanic tried to explain it to me, but gave up after the fifth try  Roll Eyes

I'll keep you posted on my discoveries...

RW

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/30/05 at 13:31:55

You're talking about the upper side of the piston/cylinder.  The air coming through the oil fill cap is from the lower side of the piston/crankcase.

With a twin the amount of air inside the crankcase remains the same as it just gets shoved from under one piston to under the other piston as one moves up while the other moves down.

With a single, there is no piston going up to take the air being shoved down so it either builds up pressure inside the crankcase or gets pushed out the breather.  Or out the capless oil fill.

WWW   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #6 - 05/30/05 at 18:28:14

Paladin,

That explains it all, thanks.

I fully understand the situation now.

RW

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 05/30/05 at 19:57:47

It is something unique to a single cylinder - without another piston moving up as it moves down out puffs the air and it sucks it back in as it moves up - I've been tinkering with the idea for a couple of weeks - why not use a couple of reeds or simular(perhaps pcv's) to intake the the air through the oil fill and out through the head - seems to me this would let it run cooler - turn the back side of the piston into an air compressor.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:19:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.