Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How fast? (Read 18 times)
Dingo_Jones
Ex Member

Re: How fast?
Reply #15 - 05/26/05 at 07:05:04

Hey WD
No dock, but I'm half a block from the beach, a block from the burton (Quartermaster) yacht club/marina, and half a mile from the public boat launch. If you're ever out this way, let me know. The roads out here make for some of the best riding around.
I work in Tacoma, I ought to swing by and meet you before the big Ash run.
Roy Y on the 12th sounds like a plan. Anyone else from Seattle area going?

-DJ

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 05/26/05 at 12:36:15

I rode my savage ('97, bone stock) 5,000 miles in 5 days. The last 800 miles really sucked because the cam chain tensioner broke and the bike wouldn't do over 65. Runs good now. Also, one of the footpegs vibrated loose and fell off with 50 miles to go.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 05/26/05 at 13:08:32

I have hit 85 on my Savage, twice.  That was it.  Just to test my work.  That was all that I needed to satisfy my need for speed.  I don't have any other expectations of the Savage, nor a need to go fast.
8)

IP Logged
freerider23
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/26/05 at 13:21:10

i got a '88 savage that wouldnt do 80 to save its life!!  then again, i am 6-1, 220, so i dont push the little thing too hard.  2 up i can do 70 with a tailwind.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 05/26/05 at 13:31:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I have hit 85 on my Savage, twice.  That was it.  Just to test my work.  That was all that I needed to satisfy my need for speed.  I don't have any other expectations of the Savage, nor a need to go fast.
8)

Yup, I took mine to 90 shortly after I replaced the muffler and rejetted just to see what the high end felt like.  I usually try to keep it at about 65 on the freeway for myself but if the HOV lane is moving at 75, I'll stay with it.  On back roads, I just stick to the speed limit (usually  between 45 and 55) and enjoy the ride.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 05/26/05 at 15:41:49

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Yup, I took mine to 90 shortly after I replaced the muffler and rejetted just to see what the high end felt like.  I usually try to keep it at about 65 on the freeway for myself but if the HOV lane is moving at 75, I'll stay with it.  On back roads, I just stick to the speed limit (usually  between 45 and 55) and enjoy the ride.

By the way....I read the banner.  Congratulations on graduating from "Newbie" status.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/26/05 at 16:17:31

Since breaking the engine in on  my 1986 LS700 while dialing in the stock carb (jets drilled out as follows: main- #177.8, pilot- #61, pilot air- #74.2, jet needle raised .150") got to 160 km/hr very quickly and the little thumper was still pulling like hell. I must be getting too old so I let off on the throttle - that was fast enough for me!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 05/26/05 at 19:16:14

Now that sounds fun to me.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #23 - 05/26/05 at 19:24:50

I've once pushed close to 90mph, and I felt it would have gone faster, but if I did, I'd have missed my exit and been late for work.

Last time I tried it close to that fast, my front end began to shimmy.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 05/26/05 at 21:36:32

Vstar-Vader twas the helment - anyway you guys are talking about short run top ends - the question was about - i thought - how fast would you ride for say an hour without letting off ?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 05/26/05 at 21:45:27

If you chop off a bunch of unnecessary weight, you can peg the speedometer pretty easily. Bike weight.  Front fender, stock muffler, belt covers, front fender, passenger carrying (torturing) parts...

10 pounds weight reduction is equivalent to 1 horsepower gained. I've weighed every nut, bolt, screw, washer and major piece I've removed. When I pull the shocks and run aluminum struts, it comes in at under 300 pounds rolling weight...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 05/28/05 at 06:20:57

Exactly what all have you removed to make the bike lighter by 52 pounds?  

I'll give ya 4 pounds for each shock.  That leaves room for 46 pounds of nuts and bolts.

Wheels? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #27 - 05/28/05 at 06:56:03

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Vstar-Vader twas the helment - anyway you guys are talking about short run top ends - the question was about - i thought - how fast would you ride for say an hour without letting off ?

True!  I wouldn't stay past half-throttle (about 80mph) for very long, the bike just feels too light to be comfy faster than that.  The rider will give out before the motor I believe.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 05/28/05 at 07:17:47

I've run it for a tank at a time at highway speeds in the 75-80 mph range. Bike had no problems. I was so cramped up that is wasn't even funny. Me + Savage = pain, for any run over 25 miles at a shot.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 05/30/05 at 20:03:56

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Bluejeanz, back roads or frontage roads are more fun to ride on anyway. I take the back way to work. 30-45 minutes to go 17 miles. The "freeway" is a parkinglot that time of day. When your 4 foot passenger hits 5 foot, best plan on buying a scoot for him as well.  Cheesy
-WD

Oh, I absolutely agree.  The backroads are best.  We just wanted to try out the interstate, for giggles.  As for the parking lot affect...it doesn't happen here.  We couldn't turn the interstate into a parking lot if everybody in town got out there at once.  We're too sparsely populated...and that's a good thing.

As for the 4 footer hitting 5 feet and getting his own ride...unfortunately, he'll be too young.  He just turned 14 and he's shooting up fast.   He's already eyeing my Savage now that I've got the Intruder too, but I told him to forget it for at least two years.

He does have a little Honda Aero125 scooter that I let him ride around the rural neighborhood.

Besides, despite the fact that I love the Intruder, I still love my zippy Savage too.  It's got lots more "pep" than the Intruder.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:51:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.