Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Adding to the fleet (Read 5 times)
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Adding to the fleet
05/23/05 at 19:50:33

Well folks...the time and opportunity has come for me to add a playmate to my Savage's pen.

I found a 1993 Intruder VS800 with only 5800 miles on it just longing for a home.  

I don't actually have it yet, but if all goes well, I will by the end of the week.

I am VERY excited about this...Now, I will have a good interstate bike.  Plus, having a second bike around means hubby has no excuse for not learning to ride now.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Adding to the fleet
Reply #1 - 05/23/05 at 19:54:10

Good for you!

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/23/05 at 21:53:00

VS800 handles like a pig on rollerskates on greased ice if the tire pressure gets low. Ask me how I know...

VS800 is an interesting machine. FWIW, the handlebar angle is NOT adjustable unless you own a die-grinder or Dremel tool. Risers have little locator "teeth" that lock the bar angle.  Angry Takes about 5 minutes per to delete them.

My wife has a VS800, 1996, in a neat pearl teal. If you have any questions specific to riding the Intruder, shoot her an e-mail or private message through my contact info. Also check out IntruderAlert dot com. Good folks there as well.

The Savage will stomp a stock 800 into the ground stoplight to stoplight... And watch for the back end to rise if you really whack the throttle. Perfectly normal, but disconcerting until you get used to it. Driveshafts are for cars...not motorcycles.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #3 - 05/24/05 at 06:46:43

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Good for you!  

Bluejeanz get's a "Good for you," and I get a bucket of coal? ???

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Love2Ride
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/24/05 at 06:48:32

She's keeping her thumper.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #5 - 05/24/05 at 06:50:11

Love2Ride wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
She's keeping her thumper.

I'm keeping my bank account intact.  Shocked

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/24/05 at 06:52:21

Don't worry GIT, santa has you on his "nice" list.

IP Logged
Love2Ride
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/24/05 at 06:58:03

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm keeping my bank account intact.  Shocked

I can dig that, for sure.  Personally, I'd have to find something at least pretty close to as straightforward as the Savage for me to feel really good about it.  Not being a professional mechanic (or even a very experienced amateur), the simplicity of "the VW of motorcycles" is a real plus in my book.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #8 - 05/24/05 at 07:11:00

Honestly, I'd love to keep it.  It's a real hot dog, but;

1. I don't have a garage.  I keep the bike(s) on a covered patio in the summer and in a lawn barn in the winter.  There's hardly enough room on the patio for two bikes and certainly not enough in the shed.

2. I had to touch some funds that I promised my wife I'd pay back.  How much?  About the same as the Sookie will get me.

3. I need an easier riding bike.  I've got arthritis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and other issues relating to a pituitary tumor that cause pain and soreness.

4. The VStar and I were meant to be together.  I was looking at this same bike last year about April, when I decided to get the thumper instead.   The owner changed his mind after a few weeks and rolled it back into his garage.  Saturday he decided to try to sell it again, I saw it and rode it and bought it.  Kismet, if you ask me...

IP Logged
Love2Ride
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/24/05 at 07:33:36

If you're happy and it keeps you riding, it's a good thing.  But you can't expect this crew not to give you a hard time.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 05/24/05 at 07:39:14

Nothing like kicking a brother when he's down!

actually the v-star is a fine ride - I've got a buddy that traded in a late model low mileage vstar for a new HD Classic ~18 months ago along with 10Gs+ and won't come out and say it - but seems to wish he hadn't - sure didn't endup w/10g more of a motorcycle!  

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #11 - 05/24/05 at 08:27:07

Love2Ride wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
But you can't expect this crew not to give you a hard time.

I expect NOTHING LESS!

Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 05/24/05 at 10:46:49

4. The VStar and I were meant to be together.  I was looking at this same bike last year about April, when I decided to get the thumper instead.   The owner changed his mind after a few weeks and rolled it back into his garage.  Saturday he decided to try to sell it again, I saw it and rode it and bought it.  Kismet, if you ask me...

If you had got the VStar the first go-around you wouldn't have stumbled into this extremely friendly forum.  You wouldn't have posted the picture of you in your "Old Thumper" t-shirt.  I wouldn't have gotten the "Old Thumper" pump handle clip that is now sitting on my front fork.  And I have no idea why it should be there but I have long since quit questioning fate.

WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #13 - 05/24/05 at 10:56:57

I love this forum and it's got the best bunch of riders I've ever met, cyberwise.  I ain't leaving no matter what I ride.  Besides,  I'll not be the only person in here without a Savage.

BTW, the VSTAR forums seems to suck.

IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/25/05 at 06:15:59

Selling the Thumper NEVER crossed my mind.  I don't plan on it.

1. I don't have a garage.  I keep the bike(s) on a covered patio in the summer and in a lawn barn in the winter.  There's hardly enough room on the patio for two bikes and certainly not enough in the shed.

I don't have a garage either.  My bikes are parked in the yard under a tree, under cover in the summer and in a leanto with a tarp over the end for the winter.

2. I had to touch some funds that I promised my wife I'd pay back.  How much?  About the same as the Sookie will get me.

Can't argue with you about that one.  I'm the breadwinner in my family and while I generally play fair and am the good wife, when it comes to my bike(s), "I made it, I'll spend it" comes to mind a little to frequently.

3. I need an easier riding bike.  I've got arthritis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and other issues relating to a pituitary tumor that cause pain and soreness.

Is the VStar that much different?  I have arthritis and CTS too.  I have a throttle boss, which helps a lot.  I don't seem to have as much trouble on the clutch side.

Well you can't argue with fate  Cheesy.  That Intruder starting calling my name as soon as it rolled out into the lot...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:02:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adding to the fleet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.