Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Before I begin can I get opinions (Read 7 times)
Hammy211
Ex Member

Before I begin can I get opinions
05/20/05 at 14:06:53

I wanted to run by you guys what I was planning on doing to my bike before I got it all put back together.  My primary concern is highway performance.  I ride about 30 mile a day on the highway at about 70 mph and I am usually OK unless there is a headwind or I need to accelerate at more than a snails pace.  Then I sometimes end up in uncomfortable situations.  I believe my bike is running a little lean like most, but I don’t get really frequent backfire.  I get consistently 45-50 mpg.  OK, but I wouldn’t mind better.  55-60 and I could put of refueling a whole day.  Is this going to drop even lower while seeking more power or is my bike just poorly tuned right now.

My recent add-ons are a K&N drop in and I am still looking for a Sportster muffler.  Additionally I took out the snorkel and drilled some holes in the airbox door.  I have the carb out right now.  I was going to remove the white spacer but it seems you guys have had better luck just shaving it down.  What is the easiest way to go about that.  I plan on then replacing the main jet with either a 152.5 or 155.  Should I go even bigger?  How do I know the better option, or should I just get both and see which way it runs better.  Last turn the idle mixture screw out about ½ turn.  

I was going to replace the spark plug while I had everything out.  Is there a preferred brand?    

Thanks, love the site.

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Re: Before I begin can I get opinions
Reply #1 - 05/20/05 at 14:22:32

In case you haven't read this : http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104205157 .

Also, if you are concerned about fuel mpg then I would not go larger than a 155 main and stay away from WOT as much as possible.

I like the NGK Iridium spark plug.  When I installed one in my Savage it made a noticeable difference. Generally, the motor ran smoother and accelerated a little better. The other mods have also helped.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 05/20/05 at 16:35:07

Sounds like you have the same setup I'm running except for the sporty muffler. I'm using a 152.5 main and am happy with it, either a 152.5 or a 155 main would work. If you are tuning for gas milage use the 152.5 main and install a small windshield, at highway speeds aerodynamics affect gas economy more than anything else. Stay away from WOT when running through the gears, that's the easiest way to drop your mpg. I changed out the white spacer for two #4 washers, about 1/2 the thickness of the orignal spacer. Had to spin them with a drill against a file to reduce the outside diameter to the same as the white spacer. If you are planning to use a sportster muffler you won't need to go much richer than this. Luck on the mods.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/20/05 at 21:54:51

Focus on the best performance you can get when jetting, and the mpg will take care of itself...if you want max milage then ride at a relaxed pace  and be smooth.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/21/05 at 21:26:53

All of the above is good.  I would personally suggest using the 152.5 until you change the exhaust, then go to the 155 (and possibly bigger but you'll have to experiment).  I am personally running the K&N drop in though I blew cash needlessly on a rejetting kit that gave me a graduated needle (multiple notches) so I didn't have to shave my spacer.  The net effect is that of a spacer half the thickness of the original.  I have the MAC muffler, the 152.5 jet and the iridium plug.  I can see a big difference in power but will be increasing my jet to a 155 or 157.5 and I'll stick with whichever is the "best fit".

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/21/05 at 22:50:49

I did some number crunching at work...I need to find a jet in the 170-180+ range to compensate for the exhaust I run now and the filter I intend to drop in it soon. A side draft, non-slide, 45mm carb is looking better and better... I can't find over 165 jets locally, and don't trust most mail-order bike parts outfits. I can get a 45mm carb for nothing.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 05/22/05 at 02:23:51

Hey WD

What make is this 45mm carb ?
I have a 41mm Keihin FCR slide carb on my KLX.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/22/05 at 06:34:04

Be mindful that a 45 mm carb is capable of flowing a lot of fuel/air but if your engine is not big enough to handle it the performance could suffer.  A few years back when the performance carb of choice for the Sportster was a Mikuni VM roundslide, the carb was a 36mm...later when the Edelbrock flatslide cam out they also used the 36mm and then a 38mm.
For an engine to run really well the air flow in the carb needs to be fast enough to pick up and atomize the fuel completely.  A carb with a larger throat will DECREASE the speed of the airflow, and a smaller carb throat will INCREASE the speed of the airflow.  There are limitations on both ends of the spectrum here, but the laws of fluid dynamics rule...you cannot get around them.  
The smaller carb will flow faster which will yield better low-midrange power.  The larger carb will work better in the higher rpm range.  If you get too large the engine's power can suffer significantly.
For an engine of the size and type that we have in the Savage, a performance carb (not the stock CV) of 36-38 mm is ideal.  A 40mm might be functional, but the low end power would not be maximized and would instead be concentrated in the higher rpm range.
Hope this is helpful....good luck with your rebuild.  
By the way, milage would also suffer with a carb that is too large for the engine.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 05/22/05 at 12:32:35

Mikuni HSR45. Yeah, it's big, but jetting one of them down is easier for me than adding monster jets to the BS40. To be brutally honest, if I could find an M74 or similar, that's what I'd run. M74 was designed for 61 inch engines, the HSR45 is for 100 inch or larger engines. Even better would be an old Schebler or similar, but I haven't seen one of those worth rebuilding in about 15 years.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #9 - 05/22/05 at 14:22:12

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I can't find over 165 jets locally, and don't trust most mail-order bike parts outfits.
-WD

I ain't above drilling out jets, if only to maintain my red neck status and piss off the posers.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #10 - 05/22/05 at 14:27:24

Also went out to my carb box and found a 210 jet, same threads and thread diameter as the original 145 that my Savage had.  It orta fit.

I got it from a local bike shop, when we were tuning my neighbor's Sportster.  They thought it was for an HD Mikuni but they wuz wrong...

You want it, send me your address.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/22/05 at 16:24:16

That ought to do it... Maybe I'll get more than 500 miles out of a spark plug... My bike is WAY too lean, unsafely lean, as in getting ready to hole the piston lean.

Consider it taken.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 05/23/05 at 03:22:58

HSR 45

A very good carb but at 45mm is sized more for full race use than road use, a 40 would be better but even then I think you'll come up against that notorius exhaust port restricting power,even more than the standard pipe does.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 05/23/05 at 07:56:15

I think that with the 188 or 210 jets I'm getting sent, the BS40 on it now might work alright. I can always test different carbs at work to see what the bike likes best. Have LOTSof Mikuni and Keihin carbs to choose from. I'm going to test fit the Mikuni SU knock-off today at lunch. Unfortunately, it'll have to be hard mounted to the head, no boot in between, it is a 2 bolt monting system design. Very strange carb...2 butterflies, no slide, single cable, lever choke, and I'd swear a power valve or accelerator pump. Think old Weber side draft for SCCA Nissan Z-cars. Or a 1 barrel Holley/Carter truck carb laying on its side.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 02:56:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Before I begin can I get opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!