Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shifting points and Gas Mileage (Read 11 times)
DesertCruisers
YaBB Newbies

Ask me how to join
Desert Cruisers in
Arizona

Shifting points and Gas Mileage
05/20/05 at 10:45:35

Post your shifting points here and what you normally get for gas mileage with those shifting ranges.  Try to be as accurate as possible.  I want to see what the best performance you can get is and still get good mileage.  I usually run the bike for performance and get about 55 mpg+

Jeff,

Moderator and creator of Desert Cruisers riding group in Phoenix Arizona.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Shifting points and Gas Mileage
Reply #1 - 05/20/05 at 10:49:29

I'll try to monitor mine in the next few days to see.  However, I'd warrant that mileage will vary widely between different bikes - especially between those closer to stock and those with intake/jetting/exhaust mods.  That said, it might be useful to also report significant mods, carried weight (rider and luggage/contents), altitude, and tire inflation.  Then you'll have lots of information to juggle for a semi-reliable answer.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 05/20/05 at 10:55:59

I just wind it up until it stops accelerating and slam it into the next gear without using the clutch.

Actually I tend to just "cruise" and shift around 3K, but when I get to 4th, I'm usually at my normal speed and go to 5th just for overdrive....55-60 mpg.

IP Logged
DesertCruisers
YaBB Newbies

Ask me how to join
Desert Cruisers in
Arizona

Reply #3 - 05/20/05 at 10:56:18

Thanks I forgot about the fact that a lot of people have mods.  I want to mainly know the mileage, how you shift and what mods you have and the weight of the rider and cargo.

Jeff,

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 05/20/05 at 12:42:43

Mine is a stock '04. I weigh in right at 200#'s
I've got almost 500 miles on the bike - got it "used" with 15 miles on it  Grin

It looks like I'm getting about 55 mpg.

I use a back road to work that has stops every couple of miles, so I spend a lot of time shifting up and down- good practice for me.

I'm babying it by not accelerating too hard; I tend to stay in lower gears while getting up to speed so the engine doesn't lug at all.
1st - 2nd 15-20 mph
3rd  25-30 mph
4th  40-50 (depending on if there is any traffic around)
5th 50-60 (mostly settling in for steady speed)

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #5 - 05/20/05 at 15:39:53

OK now you opened a complex issue.
We have argued about fuel economy w/ pals.
Obviously, auto manufacturers had to go w/ EFI to meet CAFE averages, but our 650s still have carbs.
They say "An engine gets best economy at peak torque" and don't quite agree.
Sure, if you have a motor coupled to a CVT (constantly variable tranny) or a hybrid where the motor can run a steady, or narrow rpm range.

In the 60's some cars like old 'Cudas and Impalas had a vacuum gage in the dash, showing max "economy” at max manifold vacuum. My 1st car had one and you get max economy indicated by using the least throttle to get the vehicle to cruise speed, now you can think about operating at the torque peak of the motor.
The point was a hopped up motor w/ a torque (or power, yeah I know not the same, pick one) peak way up the tach is NOT going to get good fuel economy. You don’t need max torque, you only need enough torque to balance the equation force = drag, some lower number. (drag= aero, mechanical & rolling friction)
Another example was my old 350 Kawy, w/ whittled pistons and exhaust ports, added chambers and it got very happy up above 6k-10k.
It would drink gas if ridden around above 6k all day.
My friends failed to see that your vehicle does not need operate at the peak torque/power rpm for best fuel economy, but may likely get best fuel economy while in top gear at that rpm. Over the life of your ride, how much time is spent in that state vs. idling at stoplights and running up and down the gearbox?
What if your bike's motor peaks at 100mph? Aerodynamics alone dictates worse economy up there. Another factor Detroit has spent millions on. Now if the motor peaks up where aerodynamic start to kick in  (this is logarithmic/nonlinear drag so a little more speed requires more and more torque)
So practically, while using as little throttle as possible shift into the next gear ASAP until you get into high gear and keep it below 60. If you can find a small manifold vacuum gauge, mount it up on the bar and keep the vacuum as high as possible while riding.
Once in high cog you will begin to see aerodynamics affects the intake vacuum and the resultant drop.
That where you wanna to be, high gear, just below significant aero drag for max economy or max intake vacuum in lower gears. A stock Savage w/rider is aerodynamically dirty. If you have a stock bike w/o a screen then you know about where aerodynamic drag starts eating into your economy and a vacuum gauge can show you  how to squeeze even more out.
Oh yeah above 60 mph, draft semis on the highway, it's worth 2-3 mpg in a Ford Crown Vic according to the mileage computer.  Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 05/20/05 at 17:17:10

Here is what I've noticed while riding different styles with my '02. Mods to the bike are K+M stock air filter, airbox door drilled out, sporty muffler, 1/2 white spacer and 152.5 main jet. Usually have 32ps front, 36psi rear with a 250lb rider. When I'm out attacking the back roads the shift points are 4800-5400rpms with a lot of braking and WOT Cheesy. My gas milage when driving this way was around 38 mpg but I had a real head of steam up that day. Same roads but driving a bit slower with shift points around 4200 rpm and less WOT the gas milage is around 48 mpg. When riding in traffic at 45-50mph and shifting like a Harley (3000 rpm) the bike gets better than 55 mph.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/20/05 at 20:20:09

I broke mine in bonestock and pulld down 70 mpg or better, very consistently. Now have apehangers, open exhaust, no airbox door, and the filthy original aircleaner. Stock jets and spacer, air screw out an additional two turns or so. Mileage has tanked to the 40s-60s depending on how high I wind it out before shifting. I tend to wind it up, if I don't, around here I'll be a road pizza. NW drivers are crazy, if you ride here, learn how to speed shift. Milage suffers, but you stay alive. (NW meaning the Seattle metro area, where the 35 mph sign really means 85 mph)
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/20/05 at 21:07:14

From new to about 2k miles it was stock and got 52-55 mpg.  After that,a massive oil loss = I might as well do the rebuild the right way...one size overbore with silicone carbide treated cylinder, reground cam, muffler from Performance Design, K&N and rejetted stock carb...then Edelbrock carb...then Mikuni roundslide...then Amal roundslide..(.then?), and a 6" velocity stack for good measure.  
I ride hard and fast when at all possible, I rev to the 6-7k rpm range routinely through all gears and cruise at 75-85 for hours.  Since the rebuild, with thousands of miles and all of the assorted carbs, the milage has remained within 48-52 mpg.  
I have also changed the rear shocks (14" Progressive 412's right now), and the front end is held up by a set of Ceriani forks...those two changes made a big difference in the handling.  
All in all, it is a pretty good ride now.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 05/21/05 at 05:03:11

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
....So practically, while using as little throttle as possible shift into the next gear ASAP until you get into high gear and keep it below 60....

I'll vouch for this from experience.  As I posted before, on a trip to Seattle on my GS450E/Quicksilver I ran mostly steady 45-50 on backroads in 6th gear and pulled an honest 80mpg.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 05/22/05 at 10:19:46

WD ... your milage figures impress me ... haven't been out for a Ride in a coupla weeks due to foggy, wet, cool weather ... but just got back from a fill-up and wee spin ... jotted down some figures ... since last fill-up, ran 70km and used 3.9 litres of gas. Some math, a few conversions and here what this translates into ...
50 mpg (Imperial Gallon)
42 mpg (US Gallon)
Not very good ... and I neither ride agressively or fast, nor do I rev waaay up before shifting ... It has been abnormally cool here of late and I have to Ride a couple of miles with choke 1/2 out before the Bike is sufficiently warmed up ...
Oops forgot ... my LS650 is an '03 and is bone stock.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/22/05 at 12:37:29

Personal best on the Savage was 85 mpg. Worst has been 45 mpg.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
DesertCruisers
YaBB Newbies

Ask me how to join
Desert Cruisers in
Arizona

Reply #12 - 05/23/05 at 09:48:51

The best mileage that I have ever gotten on any bike was 75 on a honda 250 Rebel.  No savage out there regardless of how you baby it will get anything close to 80-85mpg or even 70 mpg for that matter.  I got 60 mpg when I rode nothing above 60 and shifted very nice and mine is a brand new S40.  How does a Honda Rebel 250 kept at highway speeds below 60 get only 75mpg and a savage get 85.  Maybe you guys were riding a modep and just didn't realize it.  Don't mean to be rude but maybe some of us need to check our math.  Look on this board.  Average gas mileage is 50-60 on the savage and two people out of 10 say 80 even 85.  Sounds like math issues not good mileage

Jeff,

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 05/23/05 at 11:43:35

Not measured the '02 yet needs a few more miles on it - the '95 seems to do at least 40mpg no matter how heavy handed I am and close to 60mpg on long runs of 50-55 mph

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 02:49:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shifting points and Gas Mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.