Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surprised by size! (Read 9 times)
Kaishaku

Surprised by size!
05/18/05 at 17:20:56

I went and sat on a S40 today...

And wow, it was tiny!  The same size as the GZ250, it seemed.

I've seen a lot of pics of this bike and it looked midsize -- but I'm only 6'2" and my knees seemed to be up to the handlebars.  But it might be just me -- are there any taller riders here with a pic of themselves on a Savage650?

IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Re: Surprised by size!
Reply #1 - 05/18/05 at 17:54:45

I thought that too before I bought mine. Compared to a Sportster, the Savage wheelbase is only 2 inches shorter. The Savage seat height is 1 inch higher than a Sportster. The rake on the Savage is 35 degrees and on the Sportster it's 30.1 degrees. Just stuff I throw out when the diehard HD "followers" start up. So for the sake of 2 inches it's actually a cheaper, faster off the line, lighter, more interesting bike than most people give it credit, except those that own one.

Brian

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 05/18/05 at 17:56:18

http://savage.andruschak.net/paladin.html

The bottom two pictures are my wife and I.  At 5'8" or 5'9" the Savage fits me perfectly.  The wife, at 6'1" or 6'2" says she is cramped and would want a larger bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Kaishaku

Reply #3 - 05/18/05 at 18:33:49

Hmm... that's not too bad... *scratches chin*

The LS650 is the first cruiser style bike I've really liked -- for some reason, I just don't like the look of V twin motors.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/18/05 at 18:52:38

Look at my Avatar photo. I'm 6'2", or was before two low back surgeries... :'(  Even with 14" rise handlebars, it's small. I'm either stretching the frame or buying another Paughco or Santee HD frame and start over. For me, the Savage is a cute, little, toy motorcycle. Lots of potential for tinkering...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/18/05 at 20:50:13

As I pointed out in an earlier message, the Savage is a small bike.  It's comparable in size to 250cc bikes and several inches smaller than a V-twin.  Which is why I like it.  To be comfortable for a tall person (6'2" is not "only") you need to stretch the seating position.  Forward controls help.  Somehow moving the saddle about 5 inches back would help even more.

WWW   IP Logged
Kaishaku

Reply #6 - 05/18/05 at 20:58:58

Thank you for that excellent comparison chart!

It seems to me that if the Savage was a little more powerful and a little bit bigger it'd be just about perfect.

It's still on the list for consideration though, especially considering its low price.  Grin

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/05 at 05:08:36

Last October got my 05 S40 for $3995 plus tax/tag/title.

Can we say price advantage ?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 05/19/05 at 06:41:46

Don't write off the Savage as a potential ride even though it is smaller than other bikes out there. I'm 6'2" and weigh in around 250lbs and found that my '02 didn't fit me properly when I first bought it. So far I've done the raise the front of the seat mod and changed over to a set of clubman handlebars that I got from Dennis Kirk. The new handle bars sit a little lower and more forward than the stock buckhorns and are about three inches longer. The difference in comfort is noticable and gave me at least three more inches arm room. I also extended the shifter by welding in a 2" piece of steel, that way my foot sits on the peg in a more natural position when shifting. The great thing about a Savage is that it is light when compaired to other cruisers. Good luck on whatever you get for a scoot. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 05/19/05 at 07:39:46

Its small size is a definite commuting advantage. Even though lane splitting is illegal where I live ( Roll Eyes), it is awfully handy to have a narrow bike with quick responses to rider inputs.

As far as the riding position goes, for me, the biggest problem is definitely the seat to bar distance. I don't think my wrist would have popped the other night if my wrists had been a bit straighter in relation to my torso.  Time to stretch the frame... or put the Savage motor/tranny combo in a stretched HD frame or Santee CB750 chopper "plunger" frame.  "Amen" made good chopper frames back in the day as well...

The LS650/S40 frame is a miniature FXR/FXD/ FLHP style frame. Square backbone, round tubing everywhere else. Not hard to stretch/re-rake if you are/know a good (airframe or USCG certified) welder. I'm looking at adding about 8 inches to the backbone, with curved and stretched down tube as needed. Add in about 10 degrees of rake, and the FXRS 4" longer than stock front end from work. And a longer gas tank to match, hopefully around 6 gallons. Chief rear wheel/pulley, HD 21 inch front wheel, real rear fender, bags,...

I think working in a bike salvage shop is going to be bad for my bank account...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 05/19/05 at 15:56:22

Never mind your bank account, working in a bike shop sounds good for your imagination. If you do the stretch take pictures I think we all would love to see them.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 05/20/05 at 06:06:00

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
http://savage.andruschak.net/paladin.html

The bottom two pictures are my wife and I.  At 5'8" or 5'9" the Savage fits me perfectly.  The wife, at 6'1" or 6'2" says she is cramped and would want a larger bike.

As I have said before...your Y2K Savage is a good looking bike  8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:59:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Surprised by size!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.