Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windy day (Read 4 times)
jennifrb
Ex Member

Windy day
05/09/05 at 05:07:56

Okay, I hope this isn't just me, but has anyone every had a problem on a windy day?  ??? I've had 3 rides where I have felt like the wind is pushing around.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  If you have, what have you done to compensate?

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Re: Windy day
Reply #1 - 05/09/05 at 05:36:34

Hi, Jennifer...

No, it's not just you.  I took a long ride a few weeks ago when the wind was blowing at about 35 mph, and, yes, it will move you around.  If it's a cross wind, you just have to be ready to compensate back to the center of your lane.  I'm about 6' and 200 lbs, and it felt to me like a big hand was trying to push the wheels out from under me, which caused the bike to lean momentarily, which in turn caused the bike to want to turn into the wind.  I just corrected the lean and kept riding.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/09/05 at 05:47:42

That's the main downside to having a really light bike, so far as I'm concerned.  It's annoying but manageable.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 05/09/05 at 06:00:44

I was kinda wondering whether it was because the Savage is a light bike. I've been moved around a little bit riding back and forth. This morning it was raining on the way to work along with gusting wind which made things interesting. (I ride through the country to work, and there's nothing to stop the wind here in Illinois so it all gets to the road.)

IP Logged
jennifrb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/09/05 at 06:29:50

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
(I ride through the country to work, and there's nothing to stop the wind here in Illinois so it all gets to the road.)

I rode through similar areas yesterday.  There isn't much to break the wind in farm country!  
I was really hoping others had encountered this same thing.  I figured it had to do with the light weight of the bike.

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #5 - 05/09/05 at 07:53:26

I went for a long ride yesterday (yes, in Illinois) in the wind and I have to say it was a challenge. I don't ride with a windshield so I know that when I ride it's a little more work but yesterday I was a bite nervous in the wind at 65mph it was I could do to stay on the road. I know it's the weight of the bike because I was with someone else on a much heavier bike who was not having any problems at all with the wind. I love my bike but on high wind days I wish I had a heavier bike to switch to. Maybe my Savage needs a Volusia playmate Smiley

Jen
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #6 - 05/09/05 at 07:56:05

I used to prefer riding in the rain than the wind.  Nowadays I prefer not much of either.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/09/05 at 08:33:37

JENNIFRB:

I live in New brunswick Canada, where we are usually getting winds of various speeds. I am also in farm country, and the wind really gusts accross the hay/grain fields. Sometimes making riding, quite a challenge.

I live in the country, and ride to the city, for 45 minutes through a major throughway, which connects several smaller communities. At times this highway is quite congested, and leaves little room for driver error.

Last week I was caught in gusts of 50m/h , and it was all I could do to stay in my lane, and keep between rush hour traffic. This is WITH a windshield. Without one could have been deadly. A driver can become exausted quite rapidly under these conditions, screwing up your fine and gross motor skills, delaying your counter reaction to any problem.

I opted to pull into the first back road i recognized, and take the long way home, free of heavy traffic. It was an extra 15 miles, but well worth it.

Glad I had the option of the back roads. Grin

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
jennifrb
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/09/05 at 09:51:09

On a ride last week I had the biggest scare.  I was coming up on right hand turn when a big gust came a long.  The gust hit me from the right and was pushing me into the other lane which had cars coming.  I honestly saw my life flash before my eyes!  I was so grateful that I got the bike under control, it would have definitely been an accident.  
I do ride with a windshield, which keeps the battering down some.  But when the wind is coming at you from the sides, it doesn't help.  
I'm not ready to move up to a heavier bike, which I know would help.  Maybe next year, and just try to avoid overly windy days for now.

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #9 - 05/09/05 at 10:03:23

I put a wind screen on my bike and noticed a big decrease in wind buffeting. My screen is tilted back so it acts as a wing, pushing down on the front of the bike causing it to plant and center on the tire. I know this because as I ride faster the front of the bike squats. 8) big improvement

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #10 - 05/09/05 at 11:08:51

If it starts to push in the corners, put more rear spoiler in it. Smiley
Oklahoma_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
as I ride faster the front of the bike squats. 8) big improvement

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #11 - 05/09/05 at 11:33:35

it also has to do with your level of experience. the more you ride in wind the better you will be able to handle the occassional gusts.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Reply #12 - 05/09/05 at 11:48:38

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
That's the main downside to having a really light bike, so far as I'm concerned.  It's annoying but manageable.

ditto - I also reduce my speed.

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #13 - 05/09/05 at 13:04:53

I'm also dreading this. 37 mile each way, and a good 20 of it is open highway through the countryside. As it is the wind can push my cage around quite a bit. My drive time might increase, but so will my mpg!

20ish on a Bronco II to easily 30+ on the Savage.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/setral/87savage/
100% Stock, needs a little work and another bath
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/09/05 at 13:21:27

Setral wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm also dreading this. 37 mile each way, and a good 20 of it is open highway through the countryside. As it is the wind can push my cage around quite a bit. My drive time might increase, but so will my mpg!

20ish on a Bronco II to easily 30+ on the Savage.

I actually get more like 55+ on mine.  You'll also get more enjoyment out of your time.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 15:36:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windy day

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.