Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedo Cable oil leak at motor (Read 10 times)
Rick G

Speedo Cable oil leak at motor
04/26/05 at 20:26:13

I could use some help finding a way to stop oil leaking from the fitting where the speedo cable attaches to the 650 motor.

Is there a O ring kit for this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rick G

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Speedo Cable oil leak at motor
Reply #1 - 04/26/05 at 20:46:09

You probably removed the tank and the seal, that is supposed to be there fell somwhere around the starter motor. The easyest cure is an O-ring from the hardware store. I was too lazy to go to the store, so I just made a small O-ring out of a piece of oil resistant hose. If You want to go fancy- order a new seal from the dealer.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 04/27/05 at 01:43:10

Just squirt some RTV (gasket goo) in the knurled section. Keep it off the cable. Screw the fitting on the engine case. End of leak. From that end. It may start leaking up top though.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/27/05 at 05:29:08

There isn't a part number for the seal (unless the dealer was totally lame) and you have to buy the cable to get seals.

But actually your corner hardware store has small o-rings that will fix the leak just fine....in fact they fit better inside the connector and don't fall out as easily...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 04/27/05 at 15:56:12

I ended up using a rubber piece that is used when you rebuild faucets. Found one that was the right thickness and cut it down a little to fit in the fitting. I even went to the dealer looking for it but they don't have it as a seperate part. Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/27/05 at 18:56:15

Might want to change that out when you get a chance to be sure you are using one that's petroleum resistant.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 04/27/05 at 19:13:16

Thanks for that tip, I'll check to see if it is falling apart and try to find a thick "o" ring as a replacement. Not doing much wrenching on the bike, all the free time is tied up in getting the house ready to sell and packing for the big move to Florida.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 05/10/05 at 09:41:49

After fooling around with this I still had a leak out the threads even with a new cable and washer, tried silicone hitemp atv, still leaked - finally got It I think - the yellow teflon gas pipe tape has worked great for 300 miles - the thinner white tape seems to die with heat and oil - the yellow tape ($5 a roll instead of .99 cents however) says it is rated for oil,gas and such - yea!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 21:32:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedo Cable oil leak at motor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.