Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quitting my job and travelling? (Read 6 times)
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Quitting my job and travelling?
04/25/05 at 09:43:57

I thinking of taking a leave of absence or quitting work once iv got a couple of grand behind me to go traveling from London on the ferry to France and from there who knows.... I will be with my mate on a Zephyr 550, Anyone got any suggestions on where to ride etc etc etc... I have made a clip-on, top and side boxes for my savage that cover the rear wheel.. So almost full toolbox, and some spears will be coming with me. As well as a tent, cloths... Anyone done such a journey on a savage?

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Quitting my job and travelling?
Reply #1 - 04/25/05 at 10:18:55

Oh boy, that sounds like an adventure that will leave you memories for a life time. Sometimes the best plans just happen when you have no plans. You know, take the road that looks most interesting. I have taken weekend rides like that. Just remember to stop and smell the roses.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/25/05 at 10:55:53

Wish I has the balls to do the same. Put the screws to the establishment and live off the grid.  Wink

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #3 - 04/25/05 at 11:53:05

well im thinking of taking all my holiday in one go first (1 month) and then just seeing where i end up and how i feel. no We dont have a plan. Hey never know may even make it as far as the states Smiley (lots of boat crossings, LMAO) id like to make it as far as the Russian border, thats all Europe really (ish) but who knows, maybe furthur south, congo sounds cool (yet tad dangerous). Anyways, I plan to have my laptop running of the savage battery and my Vodafone GPRS card, so i can message you all from the road side....

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/25/05 at 21:48:14

Motorcycle Diary's...the Sequel (spell check?)
If I were single I would fly over and join you.
Ride well, and safe.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/26/05 at 00:55:06

There is some beautiful riding in Andalusia. You know, Spain's Atlantic Coast. Spent many a happy hour sneaking off base, borrowing a girlfriend's Triumph, and cruising around Jerez, Cadiz, Rota. Watch out for loose livestock on the road between Rota and Cadiz. Not many cars, but a lot of goats, rabbits, chickens, and fighting bulls in that area. Making myself homesick.  :'( I wanted to stay in Spain. Navy waited until we rotated stateside to boot me out.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/26/05 at 16:51:24

Why not?....I packed it all up and moved 3400 miles without a job and it's still an adventure  Shocked

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 04/27/05 at 18:54:35

I just did the same, quit the job at the end of Febuary and am moving 1000 miles to Florida in June. Don't have a job but right now I just don't care, only want to get out of the rat race. Got tired of being a chief, just want to be an indian for a while and get some riding in. Time grows short, ride faster. The older you get the less time you have to do what is important to you. Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 04/27/05 at 19:05:41

Amen.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/27/05 at 19:15:26

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Why not?....I packed it all up and moved 3400 miles without a job and it's still an adventure  Shocked

That's the spirit!  About 4-1/2 years ago, we sold the house, packed everything in a Uhaul - me, hubby, and my son, drove 1600+ miles from Tennessee to Maine.

No job, no house, no clue...it was freaky, but fun.  We're settled now with a pond in the back yard, our home is paid for (okay...it's a trailer), but I live in the most gorgeous spot, have a great job, and my first motorcycle.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 04/27/05 at 20:00:08

1600 miles, wow that's a hike. Hope that it was smoother that this last trip that I just had. Left on Friday the 15th towing a 26 foot camper and had a wheel fall off it after 100 miles. Just had it inspected so I figure that the mechanic didn't tighten it up. Was lucky enough to find a shop that could install new lugs but they were short so finished the trip with only two or three threads holding the lug nuts and wheel on. Because of the traffic on 95 we only drove 380 miles in 14 hours. Ended up camping somewhere in Virginia at 10:00 at night. The next day had to make up the miles we lost so it took another 14 hours driving to get to Florida. The trip back wasn't that bad untill we got into the traffic around Washington DC. It's a shame because I was hoping to ride my '02 down camping out on the way. After this last trip I realized that the cagers on 95 are way too agressive and riding a bike through that traffic is just too dangerous. I'm a bit bummed because I was looking foward to the trip. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 04/27/05 at 21:01:55

Honda Goldwing Interstates go down Interstates.  Savages sneak through the underbrush.

Don't go down I-95.  Pull up http://maps.google.com and plan a route on 2-lane roads.  Looks like you can do US-15 to start and fudge from there.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 04/28/05 at 06:14:17

Good advice, it is all about the ride not the destination. Interstate 81 is an option, drove it once years ago thru the Shenandoa(sp?) valley, still remember how beautiful that area of the country is. Still need to convince the ol ball and chain that it is a good idea, think the hinges of h-ell will freeze over before she is in favor of it. Sad. Ride Safe, Ed L.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/13/24 at 04:56:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Quitting my job and travelling?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.