Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Battery?
04/25/05 at 02:55:01

Anyone running a non-stock replacement? My last battery lasted about 5 years, but, I hate going through astealership to get the right battery. If you have a non-stock one, could you pleaselist the part number and where it is from? And if it has "reversed" terminals compared to stock? Wal-mart has one for about $24, within 1/8 inch of stock in all dimensions, but the vent tube is on the "wrong" side. I'm contemplating just running the vent out the left side of the box. I'm not paying $50+ for a motorcycle battery. With a truck that gets less than 10 mpg, the bike is no longer a "luxury" or "toy". Whether the "quacks" like it or not, I'm riding.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Battery?
Reply #1 - 04/25/05 at 09:37:47

Somebody mentioned NAPA - the same like the original battery, but at a lower than the stealership price.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/25/05 at 10:05:16

A funny thing happened to me when I went shopping for a battery for Black Betty a couple of weeks ago. I called several dealers for a price on my preferred brand of battery, Yuasa . All the quotes were the same except for one wich was $2 cheaper. I then made a last call to a nearby Suzuki dealer to get a price quote and he said to me "hold on and I will get a Suzuki part number". My initial reaction was no don't do that, but when he came back the price was $6 cheaper than anyone else. "What brand is it " I asked. "It's a factory battery " he exclaimed "Yuasa". It came in a Suzuki box with a Suzi part #.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Goose
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/25/05 at 15:27:51

bought a direct replacement battery at napa last september part number 14L-A2 32.04 plus tax

IP Logged
Al Medley

Reply #4 - 04/25/05 at 16:09:08

I've had a Walmart battery in mine for three years and it works fine.  I had to carve a notch into the battery box, but it wasn't difficult

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 04/25/05 at 16:37:09

Or you can go high tech and have a AMG sealed (no vent tube ) shipped to your door for about $55

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #6 - 04/25/05 at 21:02:25

I just bought the same model number of batt, except the last digit ended in an A.  OEM is B.

What's the diff? The diff is that the vent is on the other side making for a lousy fit.  The cover had to be semi-forced on and is out about 3/8".

The other option was to make cable extenders.  nah.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/26/05 at 00:39:57

Thank you.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 04/26/05 at 05:47:04

I don't have a clue what mine is.  I went to top it off with distilled water when I first got the bike but found it was a sealed maintenance-free battery.  At that point I assumed it wasn't the original but it's been fine, so I've left it alone except for a small amount of anti-corrosive on the posts/terminals.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 04/29/05 at 17:28:50

Put my battery back in after topping it up last week and was trying to figure out how old it was. A friend gave me a new-in-box replacement Yuasa that is still dry. My bike is an 2001 I bought in 3/2003 from  a local dealer. The battery seemed to crank a little slower than I remember last year after I charged it.
It would not crank the day I bought it and the dealer said to wait a day and they would charge the battery and change the oil. It cranked great since then and I have wondered if they just charged it or if they had to replace the batt. this includes 2 or 3 complete discharges from using the kill switch while leaving the key in/on. (rookie mistakes)
There is a number on the top but Yuasa's website  does not show a date code.  Anyone know how to tell when it was made? If it was replaced it 2003 it should go at least one more season. If it is an'01, it might be a good time to swap it.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/29/05 at 20:55:52

14L-A2 works great, other than having to notch the battery box AND box lid.  I tried reversing the cables, major league pain the rear, AND, the battery box wouldn't go back in with the leads reversed, AND, the battery lugs were covered. Switching the leads is a waste of time. But, since I don't mind using my ride as a test mule, I gave it a try.

God thing about notching the box is next time I need a battery, I can just grab one off the shelf and go. Trying to find the stocker ain't worth the hassle. There are 3 whole bikes that use the stock battery, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha, one Suzuki. At least the last time I checked the cross-refernce chart.

Oh, the battery manufacturing date should be branded on the backside of the case, just below the top plate.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Goose
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/30/05 at 14:40:42

wd are you saying you had to do all that to get it to fit ?reason i am asking is when i bought mine i had my old battery with me and i was a perfect match fit the bike just like the original. the napa part number i posted is what is on the invoice from napa.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 04/30/05 at 18:15:52

14L-A2 required the battery box and lid to be notched for the battery to fit. No big deal. The side panel pretty well hides the notch (not that I care if it's visible or not, I don't).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 07:57:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.