Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sportster muff installation (Read 1687 times)
Hammy211
Ex Member

Re: Sportster muff installation
Reply #15 - 06/15/05 at 01:12:26

I bent the muffler mount simply buy pulling on it.  Only did it because I was in a rush to get it on and I knew I was going to have my hands full trying to bend the bracket on the muffler.  You need a Clymer manuel to help you with the carb assembly and disassembly.  I think you would hurt the bike if you didn't rejet and lower the needle.  It would be pretty obvious though by the backfires.  There is lots of stuff on this site about rejetting if you search.  You just need to make the muffler work.

lcs151 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
exactly how did you "bend" the muffler mount? what do you recommend i buy to rejet? Amals? dynojet? which is better? what size do i need of each? anything else i need? what is a pilot? if i put these pipes on without re-jetting, will i hurt the bike? or should i rejet first?

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/09/06 at 07:02:11

USA model, pre-2004, does not matter about front or back. The difference in front and back is the mounting tab. You can rotate either muffler so the tab will be close to the mounting bracket. I would take the header pipe off the bike, carry the muffler and pipe to a muffler shop and tell them you need a 6 or 7 inch adapter with a 10 degree bend. That will be about $10.00 or $15.00.
When you use the adapter pipe the install is much easier and looks great. I have a picture of the adapter on bikepics. (see link in my signature line)

IP Logged
Targett3997
YaBB Newbies

'04 Thumper
Humper!!!

Jackson, GA
Reply #17 - 06/09/09 at 07:45:09

Does anyone worry about the exhaust blowing on the brake line?  It concerns me, and the only fix I see is to shorten the pipe and put some sort of deflector on it.  Any thoughts?

"Watch out for dogs..."
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #18 - 06/09/09 at 14:45:18

Most people who are concerned put in an angled adapter.  That's what I did.  It both angled the pipe to match the swingarm, and extended it past the rear brake lever.

Those that don't go this route report that all it does is soot up the rear brake arm, resulting in the need to wipe it down once in a while.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #19 - 11/15/15 at 11:18:47

Thanks your directions helpt allot! My muff was cut out with torch by previous ouner ((( I got sportster used muff for 30$ and this is all that I spend )

image_328.jpg
  IP Logged
Pratik Tailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/23/18 at 14:18:33

Hello Everyone, Is there anybody who provide me that adaptor with bent, because I went to muffler store and that person is telling me $80 for making that adaptor.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #21 - 04/01/18 at 02:34:31

I had an 'adapter' made at a local exhaust shop. It extended the exhaust more than I liked, and I couldn't get it sealed. Luckily, the guy didn't charge me, because the project didn't work (he's a good guy!). In the end I stuck the Dyna muff straight on the header (with a home-made gasket) and used one bolt (and Loktite) to attach to the muffler mount on the bike. 12 months and she runs fine, and looks good to me ... I had to rotate the header pipe away from the bike a little bit, which bugged me. However, given the random compliments I get in the street, about the bike, I'd say nobody notices!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #22 - 04/01/18 at 02:35:39

... my brake actuator gets sooted up, but that doesn't affect anythng.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/04/21 at 08:29:35

I have a tapered '04 Sportster muffler I'd like to put on my '08 Savage.  The muffler has been modified.  Not sure how loud this would be?  Anybody have this type on their bike?  Thank you!

« Last Edit: 03/24/22 at 07:49:49 by buster6315 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:44:09

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Sportster muff installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.