Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First Ride (Read 4 times)
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

First Ride
04/22/05 at 06:51:44

I finally got my 2004 Savage delivered that my wife got me for Christmas (waiting for good weather/MSF course to start). She got the bike used but it only had 17 miles on it (and that includes the check it out rides by the mechanic/dealer). The bike as expected looks brand new.

I haven't ridden a motorcycle in about 30 years. This was the perfect bike to get started on. Rode about 15 miles before it got dark/started raining. It was great. Took it on county roads and through a forest preserve. IT WAS GREAT!

My wife and I are both taking the MSF course. I'm expecting great things. I went down to the licensing bureau (in Illinois)  two days ago to get a learner's permit so I could ride before finishing the MSF course. I had to take a written test. This was a bit of a surprise to me. After I took the test I asked the person at the counter if there was a manual or something to study for the test. Most of the questions were common sense. They were quite surprised that I passed without looking at their book. I took one for my wife to look at.

Now just got to get my wife to decide what kind of bike she wants. Wink

IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Re: First Ride
Reply #1 - 04/22/05 at 07:08:19

Get her a Savage too!

Congrats on yours.  I had never ridden before I got my permit.  I took the 8 hour (classroom only) MSF course, got on my new bike and rode home through capital city traffic on a Saturday evening.

It IS a great bike and easy to learn on.

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 04/22/05 at 07:33:34

I agree with Bluejeanz, you need a matching pair.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/22/05 at 07:45:42

Diane wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I agree with Bluejeanz, you need a matching pair.

Hey Diane, Speaking of matching pairs, I think you and I have the same bike  8)

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 04/22/05 at 08:18:31

GrinCongrats! The Savage is a great Bike for Beginners and Veterans alike! Enjoy and Ride Safe!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 04/22/05 at 10:47:34

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
....Now just got to get my wife to decide what kind of bike she wants. Wink

'Nuff Said.
(click image to enlarge)

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/22/05 at 13:26:24

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
http://savage.andruschak.net/greg_650_3_.jpg  'Nuff Said.
(click image to enlarge)

That photo gets around  8)

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #7 - 04/22/05 at 13:29:51

What part of Illinois are you in? I leave in Wheaton. I always like to know where the other Savage riders are in my area.

Jen
  IP Logged
Savi650
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/22/05 at 21:03:01

jendesigner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
What part of Illinois are you in? I leave in Wheaton. I always like to know where the other Savage riders are in my area.

Hey Jen, I live in Ottawa IL.  It's like 1 1/2 away from Wheaton.   Nice!   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/23/05 at 07:53:14

I was born in Chicago, but I was transplanted at the age of nine and haven't been back since...though I did cross the state line briefly from Kentucky during our move here.

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #10 - 04/23/05 at 08:02:39

Bluejeanz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Hey Diane, Speaking of matching pairs, I think you and I have the same bike  8)

Yep looks to me like we do have the same.  That makes us triplets because PerrydaSavage has the same one too.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #11 - 04/25/05 at 05:30:21

Well, the MSF class is finished. This weekend was kinda brutal - the temperature dropped to freezing. Not a fun time to be standing around in a parking lot in Central Illinois. (This in answer to the where are you from question - small town near Champaign (go Illini)). Riding time was much better. My wife and I both passed Cheesy Some people didn't  :'(

Went out riding yesterday again. My wife took out the savage also. She likes it a lot better than the bikes in the class.

My .02 for the MSF class. They are well worth the time spent. The class, that I took with my wife, took two people with basically no experience (in my wife's case this was literally true) to riders who can take their bike out and ride it comfortably. If you haven't been to one of these classes - go! If you don't want to go, make sure you try to donate (time or money) toward the classes. Hey, if you don't need the class look into being an instructor. I'm looking forward to taking the experienced rider course when I have more time on the seat.

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #12 - 04/25/05 at 05:48:01

I'm planning a trip to Starved Rock again this year, it would be nice to meet up with you and your wife some where. You live in a nice area to ride, once I get away from traffic it's not to bad around me but it's that first 1/2 hour to the "country" (ok, corn fields) Smiley that's a pain. It would be nice to find more people that have Savages in this area, I love looking at all the changes people do to their bike. I'm always thinking about the "next thing" I can do. It's fun.

Jen
  IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #13 - 04/25/05 at 08:12:04

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
was kinda brutal - the temperature dropped to freezing. Not a fun time to be standing around in a parking lot in Central Illinois

Now imagine what that was like in Houston, TX in the middle of July.  Temps in the high 90's.  The last day it was so hot that between exercises I soaked my doo rag in my ice chest, then the shirt went into the ice chest.  When that didn't help I started putting ice down my pants.  When I got home at the end of that last day the inside of my thighs were scalded from the heat off the engine.

2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #14 - 04/26/05 at 13:45:50

Hey Jen and Savi !!! I guess From where I live it is exactly in the middle of each of you!!! I'm in Romeoville. Just moved here from Bolingbrook in Dec. 04 My wife works in Wheaton!!! It takes only about 30 min. the most to get there from here or the reverse. (-not during rush hours- 355 and 55 from 53 to weber gets really nasty around then)
Savi, a quick jump from 55 to 80 west straight out gets me to ottowa. I really like that most of the construction has been done on that road it is much better now. I have made a couple of late saturday morning rides  to get out there by 12 or 1 to stop in the slipper for a brew or two and head back in time to fire the grill up at home

And I was at the point where i thought nobody in IL had one of these bikes! Wrong I was I see now. Either one of you feel free to E-mail dannimal29@yahoo.com or call the house 815-609 3403 then we can meet up to ride!

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 07:38:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.