Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installed the lights, now another problem (Read 7 times)
cain9580
Ex Member

Installed the lights, now another problem
04/20/05 at 16:53:52

I got my new turn signals today and had to rush to get em on.  It took a bit of coaxing but I managed.

For the front ones I had to take the 7mm screw holding the mount for the OEM lights and mount the light on with that.

For the rear I just took off the sissy bar and the rails and mounted them in the back hole.  I used the short bolt and nut from the rails to keep the wire away from the tire.

Having a slight problem with the wiring at the moment and its racking my brain.  I dont know much about wiring except how to tell hot from ground.

The lights are dual filament 12 volt lights.  The have 2 wires running from them.  This caused my first problem in the front because there were 3 wires to connect them to.  I hooked the hot wire up and the ground.  They stayed on but would not blink when I turned on the signal.  I hokked the third wire to the ground and they started blinking.  Only problem is that when I turn on the blinker all 3 front lights blink; headlight and both blinkers.

Wondering if I should disconnect the ground and just connect the blinker light?  Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Now for the rear...Two wires from the light two wires from the bike.  Simple enough I thought, but not so.  I hooked up the hot to hot and ground to ground but nothing.  I tried hooking up the OEM light again but nothing.  I tried switching the ground to the other ground thinking maybe I crossed them.  I blew a fuse after this.  I switched to the other fuse and blew another one.  I am about to go buy like 20 fuses and do some trial and error but I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this.

Thanks...by the way the new lights look sweet...when I get them working and get her back together I will post a picture.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Installed the lights, now another problem
Reply #1 - 04/20/05 at 17:15:34

If they're dual filament lights, like 1157 bulbs, you should have two wires: one plus (+) for each filament - and either an extra ground (-) wire or the bullb housing itself is ground (-).  

On the Savage wiring at the side lights, the black & white interrupted stripe wire should be ground (-).  A black wire should be a turn signal (+), and a grey wire should be a running light (+).

So look at the dual filament light assemblies.  If there's only two wires coming out, then one is the bright (blinker) filament (+), the other is the dim (running light) filament(+), and you need to make a ground (-) to the light socket or light housing.  That's the missing third wire on your new lights (front).  Without this, your blinkers are tying to find ground(-) through the headlight circuit and blinking everything.

On the back, the stock Savage only has turn signals out the side, no running lights, so hook up one grey wire (+) from the new light assembly and run the other blk&white Savage wire to ground(-) on the light housing or bulb socket.  You will not be using one of the wires from your new lights, unless you want to run to the tail light and pick up a running light wire from there.  Tape the unused wire off to keep it from hitting ground and shooting a fuse.

From your description, it sounds like you currently don't have a proper ground wire connected on the front or back.  

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
cain9580
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/05 at 17:26:45

Thx for the quick reply...after I finish some work at my house I will head over to the garage and try that out.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 04/20/05 at 17:31:38

Glad to help.  I went back and modified the post clarifying what is positive (+) and what is negative (-), recalling not everybody has the electrical background I've got.  I also took a shot at the Savage wiring colors from the schematic in my Clymer manual.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 04/20/05 at 19:30:36

So lets go back.
In the front of the bike Yoou have 3 wires comming from the wiring harness  and the blinkers have 2 filament bulb but  have only 2 wires comming out. In case like this the 2 wires are hot wires- one for the running lights and the second for the blinkers. The ground should be connected thru the body of the light. Connect the B/W wire to the body of the turn signals somewhere or just make sure the turn sign. have good ground. Connect the B / right/  or  Lg /left/  wire to one of the new wires and the Gr to the other. You will notice that one of the fillaments is stronger- connect the stronger with the blinker - B  or Lg -  wire. The weaker light will be a running light.
For the back originaly You have only a blinker / no running lights /. You have a choyce - to leave it like an original or to add running lights in the back also. If You want only blinkers - connect the  B or Lg wire to the wire that gives stronger light and connect the B/W wire to the body of the new light / or just make sure You have a good ground/. Just insulate the second hot wire.
If You want to have running lights hooked also, You will have to connect the wire that goes to the weaker fillament  to the  Br wire for the registration plate light or to the running light  / BR wire / in the tail light .
 It sounds more complicated than it is. Just go step by step and it will be walk in the park.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
cain9580
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/20/05 at 19:47:35

I am getting ready to go over and try this thing...when i get back I will post my results

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/20/05 at 20:27:36

Dual filament aftermarket lights are designed as run/brake, run/turn, or turn/brake. The housing is the ground, via the mounting stud and nut. If you figure out how to have them be turn/brake, how bout letting me know. I've run bullet lights on the rear since 1999, still haven't figured out stop/turn...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 04/20/05 at 22:55:43

It is easy, but why do You want  turn/stop light in the turn signal assy ?  If You realy want use one of the fillament wires spliced to the brake light and the other like a regular turn signal wire. The problem is that usually one of the fillaments is way weaker than the other, so You will have pretty weak stop signal light.  If You have ground wire in the new unit, connect it to the normal ground wire from the harness / B/W in Suzuki /, and if there is no ground wire in the turn signal assy - just make sure You have a good ground to the t. sign. assy.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/20/05 at 23:44:09

The light element is for turn, the heavy element is for stop. These bikes are pretty invisible, especially the way mine is set-up. Will be worse with the glass rear light lens (I'm replacing the stock tail light with a 1949 Dodge truck unit). Three brake lights MIGHT be more visible. I just can't figure out which one of the 3 wires going to the stock tailight is the brake light wire. I can't read a schematic, and if I pull one wire, the whole thing shuts off. Has done it since new.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 04/20/05 at 23:54:16

i believe it's b-w ground, white tail, brown stop.

i too have three brake lights, one from the 50 international that's a tail/brake  the markers attached to the wheel adjusters are brake only.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/21/05 at 00:03:00

I've wanted to do the three brake light conversion since I added the bullet lights. I'll try hooking them in to the brown circuit. Worst case, I blow the fuses (again). Red glass lensed bullet light, red glass lensed tailight with glass plate light built in. Should be much cleaner to my eye. I can't stand the stock tail light with the p-pad removed. Thanks Sluggo.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
cain9580
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/21/05 at 00:41:56

Okay...I hooked them up and they actually work now without blowing a fuse...

Only thing now is that when I turn on the blinker they just get brighter and dont actually blink.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #12 - 04/21/05 at 07:11:51

WD,
In the tail light assy there should be 3 wires.
According my manual the B/W is the ground , the Br is the running light and the W/B is the stop light.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 14:52:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installed the lights, now another problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.