Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Broken Cylinder Head Bolt & More... (Read 7 times)
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Re: I think it's time to remove the engine...
Reply #15 - 05/08/05 at 19:11:59

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Well, unfortunately I didn't have the camera set on macro so it came out fuzzy.  I'll spare you.  However, I was able to get a hold of it with needlenose vise-grips and back it off a half turn using several very small movements.  After that, I was able to back it out by hand and I think everything went pretty well after that.  I want to let the silicone sealant cure fully before I start her up so I'm waiting until tomorrow to give it a try.

Glad to hear it you dodged a bullet there! 8)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 05/08/05 at 19:14:18

Congrats - bet you sleep better!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 05/09/05 at 05:15:39

Ya did good....ya beat it.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #18 - 05/09/05 at 22:32:53

And now what? - You missed all the fun  Grin

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 05/10/05 at 05:30:57

I started her up last night and let her run for a few minutes and she sounded good.  I didn't have time to ride at that point but planned to take her to work this morning.  When I tried to start her up this morning, she went "click" and that was it.  The thing that seemed odd was that the headlight came on initially when I turned the key but after the "click", it stayed off.  I didn't have time to do anything but hook her up to the trickle charger.  Though I'm usually pretty careful, I am wondering if maybe I pinched a wire under the tank and drained the battery with a short to ground.  I would have though that would have occurred during the first 24 hours while the sealant cured but she started fine last night.  Oh well, I'll start by looking for a short and go from there.  I'm assuming there should be no problem with the decomp cable since I simply disconnected and reconnected it.  I made no adjustments.  Also, it worked last night.  Hmm.  I'll wait for the trickle charge, try again, check for shorts and go from there.  No need to get ahead of myself again.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 05/10/05 at 07:28:23

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I started her up last night and let her run for a few minutes and she sounded good.  I didn't have time to ride at that point but planned to take her to work this morning.  When I tried to start her up this morning, she went "click" and that was it.  The thing that seemed odd was that the headlight came on initially when I turned the key but after the "click", it stayed off.  I didn't have time to do anything but hook her up to the trickle charger.  Though I'm usually pretty careful, I am wondering if maybe I pinched a wire under the tank and drained the battery with a short to ground.  I would have though that would have occurred during the first 24 hours while the sealant cured but she started fine last night.  Oh well, I'll start by looking for a short and go from there.  I'm assuming there should be no problem with the decomp cable since I simply disconnected and reconnected it.  I made no adjustments.  Also, it worked last night.  Hmm.  I'll wait for the trickle charge, try again, check for shorts and go from there.  No need to get ahead of myself again.

I bet it isn't the battery.  Not since it started last night.  Check the fuses and then find out what blew.  "Click and the lights" out sounds like a fuse.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 05/10/05 at 09:00:58

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I bet it isn't the battery.  Not since it started last night.  Check the fuses and then find out what blew.  "Click and the lights" out sounds like a fuse.

It does emit a single click on each successive try but still no lights.  Yeah, fuses sound good too.  I'll try to hit it tonight if my daughter's school musical lets out early enough.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #22 - 05/10/05 at 09:31:34

My last adventure with pulling the tank resulted in about the same thing - I had pinched the turn signal wire - blew the 20a fuse twice and then it fried the flasher - every wire I could find now has thick spiral wrap  - looked easier than a rewire

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #23 - 05/10/05 at 16:10:32

Last time I pulled the tank I must of put a gazillion tie wraps on the electricals. Boredum, beer and a bike in the garage can result in strange things happening.
  Real glad to hear the head bolt was an easy removal. Had one like that on my wife's cage a few years ago. The bolt broke at the threads going into the block(sounds familar doesn't it) when the engine was running the bolt would jump about an inch out of the hole and then fall back in. The busted threaded part came right out same as your's did. Luck with the electrical bug. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 05/11/05 at 10:51:02

Well, I only had a few minutes last night and I used them to pull the tank, do a cursory check of wires and I also pulled the fuses.  I didn't have my multimeter out but both fuses looked intact.  I saw no obvious pinched, abraded or broken wires.  Tomorrow's probably gonna be my next chance to do any real troubleshooting.

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Broken Cylinder Head Bolt & More...
Reply #25 - 05/17/05 at 18:09:38

Okay, I had the battery on the tender for the past week or so and haven't found anything else amiss in the bike so I put everything back together and reinstalled the battery and she started right up.  Maybe the battery is not being charged properly by the bike and, if so this will repeat.  Since I haven't had a lot of time to play with it I'll see what happens next and go from there.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 02:12:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken Cylinder Head Bolt & More...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.