Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil out the exhaust and backfire opinions...... (Read 1 times)
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
Oil out the exhaust and backfire opinions......
04/15/05 at 12:30:41

I've got an 88 that i've put about a thousand miles on my first month in the Florida sunshine so i've got about 8,800 on her at the moment.... did basic maintenance last weekend, oil, air, inline fuel filter and it's running remarkably better..... no more hesitation on the highway, 0 to 80 over the causeways in who really cares, but feels darn fast..... next on the list is tires, fork seals and the dastardly plug leak that everyone is talking about as i am noticing the leak when i detail her which is about all i know how to do as i'm somewhat mechanically retarded.....  i got a used Clymer manual online at Powell's books for $7.50 and i'm trying to learn........ my nephew and head wrench was following me back to the Space Coast from Orlando in his white Z24 and noticed oil on the front of his car that looked like it was coming out of my exhaust, particularly during the ever so occasional backfire upon deceleration...... is this a normal occurence before fixing the plug leak or might i be in for something far more serious?? and, as for backfires, she only really does this when i stop the engine and gives a great big gunshot if i rev her first...... is this bad for the bike and is it wrong that part of me really enjoys watching people jump ???  Grin

I'm livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.....
islandcat88   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Oil out the exhaust and backfire opinions.....
Reply #1 - 04/15/05 at 13:37:53

Okay...the only times that I've ever seen "oil coming out of the exhaust" also included the descriptive word "smoke".  So, is there gray or bluish smoke too?  If you have smoke out of the exhaust, you have a couple other possible problems

If not, then you could be leaking oil from somewhere else.  Normally the plug leak is just an unsightly nuisance, however it can leak enough to splatter back on the battery box or your legs...but splattering back on a Z24 is a bit more serious.  What have you got under your bike where it is parked right now?  Any oil spots?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 04/15/05 at 13:52:33

Also, are you sure it's oil?  Is it possible that some water found it's way into the muffler and mixed with soot?  Just a thought.

Also, the backfires are normal on the Savage; to varying extents.  At one time I was trying to eliminate mine completely.  Now, it's just kind of a character trait.  I have to admit that I sometimes find myself grinning when she pops and people duck.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 04/15/05 at 14:13:27

Gasoline is mainly hydrogen and carbon.  It combines with the oxygen in the air to produce CO2 and H2O.  The latter is water.  If the exhaust is below boiling temperature the water will be liquid -- which is what you'll see dripping from the tailpipes of cagers.  Any soot in the exhaust will be washed out to put little black spots on anyone tailgating you.

AFAIK a sooty exhaust would mean you are running a little too rich.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 04/15/05 at 14:23:59

So, the questions are...  Is it sooty water or oil?  Where is whatever coming from?

If it is really rich you can see black smoke, particularly with a cold engine when you quickly open the throttle.  You can also smell gasoline in the exhaust (obviously, since it isn't all burning).

If it is oil in the exhaust, it will be gray smoke.

If it is just an oil leak, it will be on the bike or on the floor.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 04/15/05 at 16:27:54

It is very unprobable to have such an oil burning problem. As everybody said , before the oil starts going around the rings in such a quantities, You will smoke half of the coast line. I've had this problem in couple of bikes and all the exhaust was full of oil. On top of this the bikes did not idle on the bad cyl. I am sure all the front of the engine is oily.
There is one more possibility- the breather. Is it plugged in the air box or it is just hanging down ?

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/16/05 at 07:09:25

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
There is one more possibility- the breather. Is it plugged in the air box or it is just hanging down ?

Good point and you beat me to it.  I was saving it until he answered the previous questions  Roll Eyes

What about the breather hose?

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #7 - 04/18/05 at 09:58:10

Hi fellas,

I have noticed a similar problem with my Savage, blue smoke would blow out of the exhaust on deceleration from fast speeds (80-90 k/hr) or after the engine is revved up quite high when the bike is parked.

I do not want to think it's the cylinder rings, since I'd bee smoking on acceleration too, but I don't see smoke when I accelerate, only when decelerating...

what do you think? valves? valve seats? too rich? cylinder rings?

Thanks,

RW

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/19/05 at 05:43:14

Let me think....80/90 kph is what, 50 mph?  I don't have a speedo handy?  That really isn't that fast.  50 in 5th is only about 3500 rpms.

I would make a guess at possibly valve guides and seals.

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #9 - 04/19/05 at 07:14:20

Greg,

that's what my mechanic has been saying, problems in the valve area.

I guess I will have to start saving for that job to be done in July (mid-winter here).

Thanks,

RW

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 15:33:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil out the exhaust and backfire opinions......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.