Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bad SparkPlug? *PIC* UPDATE* (Read 17 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Bad SparkPlug? *PIC* UPDATE*
Reply #15 - 04/16/05 at 19:56:18

For some reason, newer plugs don't seem tohold up very well. My 49 Dodge truck had 1960's plugs in it when I got it back onthe road in 94. They fired off the engine with no problem. My Savage, my wife's Intruder, and my 69 Dodge truck, all with modern plugs, go 3-6 months, and start running rough. At 6 months, change the plugs and they run great again. Very starnge, plugs shuold be higher quality with the "improved materials and manufacturing processes". My 85 Celica GT-S, change the plugs every 3 months, no ifs ands or buts about it. I guess plug technology can'tkeep up with ever changing fuel blends, burn rates, higher combustion chamber temps, etc.

You're right, that plug would be fine in an older engine.  I used to run HD plugs until the electrode was worn almost completely away with no problems. Ditto my 85 F250 with a 460 V8.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 04/17/05 at 07:27:43

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
For some reason, newer plugs don't seem tohold up very well. My 49 Dodge truck had 1960's plugs in it when I got it back onthe road in 94. They fired off the engine with no problem. My Savage, my wife's Intruder, and my 69 Dodge truck, all with modern plugs, go 3-6 months, and start running rough. At 6 months, change the plugs and they run great again. Very starnge, plugs shuold be higher quality with the "improved materials and manufacturing processes". My 85 Celica GT-S, change the plugs every 3 months, no ifs ands or buts about it. I guess plug technology can'tkeep up with ever changing fuel blends, burn rates, higher combustion chamber temps, etc.

You're right, that plug would be fine in an older engine.  I used to run HD plugs until the electrode was worn almost completely away with no problems. Ditto my 85 F250 with a 460 V8.
-WD

I dunno.  I have no older engines.

...my '99 Malibu with 217K has only had 2 sets of plugs.  My '01 Dodge Ram with 70K is on the originals (have new ones already, just not installed), my '00 Savage is running on a 3 year old plug, and my spouse's '01 is running on a 3 year old plug too (changed at the same time, for no reason)...oh yeah, I changed the wires in the Malibu too.

I can't explain your bad luck with plugs, and unfortunately it seems that you spend a lot of time changing them...any ideas why?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 04/17/05 at 16:12:51

Because I drive like a maniac and use cheap gas?
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #18 - 04/18/05 at 12:09:37

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Because I drive like a maniac and use cheap gas?
-WD

That explains it all.....  Grin

RW

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 04/18/05 at 16:56:57