Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bad SparkPlug? *PIC* UPDATE* (Read 17 times)
a56kuser
Ex Member

Bad SparkPlug? *PIC* UPDATE*
04/13/05 at 22:14:12

hey i finally managed to get hte spark plug out....
my bike has some starting problems and it would crank but it wouldnt start up......first thing i thought it was a bad spark plug but  i wanted to get your opinion on this first
heres what it looks like...... its pretty bad but do you think this would cause my bike from not starting??  oh and when i smelt it , it smelt like Oil.... is that normal?
any help would be great thanks

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Bad SparkPlug? *PIC*
Reply #1 - 04/13/05 at 22:30:12

Change the plug. The center electrode looks like it is rounded off. Rounded electrode produces a very weak spark, sometimes no spark at all. Plugs are cheap, if you get it at an auto parts store instead of a bike dealership. A slight oil smell is not that unusual, most vehicles used plugs will smell like burnt oil. There is no such thing as a perfectly sealed cylinder, there will always be a slight oil vapor come up from the crankcase or in through the intake valve. Your plug doesn't appear to have an abnormally high amount of oil fouling. It just looks like a worn out plug.

FYI, I have had my Savage for just over 7 years. It is on plug number 5 I think, but it has sat up for over 3.5 years. When mine wouldn't start, throw in a new plug. Would always fire off with a new plug. The Savage is a "lean burn" powerplant. Lean burn engines tend to wear out sparkplugs fairly rapidly. Lean fuel charge is extremely hot, and the heat is what erodes the electrode tip.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
a56kuser
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/13/05 at 22:47:28

thanks for the info...ill go and buy the spark plug tomorrow.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 04/13/05 at 22:52:56

If your battery is good and hot, then the old plug should be the problem. BUT, before you put the new plug in the head, I suggest you test it. Hook the lead to the plug, use insulated channel locks or such to hold the plug against a cylinder fin, and have someone hit the starter button. If you don't have someone to help, you'll need to cable tie the clutch to the grip, otherwise the engine won't crank (stupid safety switch nonsense). The plug should produce a fat blue-white spark. If the new plug is gapped right and you get any other spark color, you need to do some further testing. But, my money is on the old plug.  My wife's 800 Intruder is the same way, once the plugs gets 6 months to a year on them, time for new plugs.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 04/13/05 at 23:47:33

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Hook the lead to the plug, use insulated channel locks or such to hold the plug against a cylinder fin, and have someone hit the starter button. -WD

it's actually funner to watch as the button pusher if theydon't use insulated channel locks.  Grin

ok i'm a sick b.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 04/14/05 at 02:48:43

If You are changing the plug try iridium, I use a DPR9EIX-9, You would probably want an 8, the second 9 is just the plug gap it comes with in 1/10ths of a mm.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #6 - 04/14/05 at 06:42:30

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
it's actually funner to watch as the button pusher if theydon't use insulated channel locks.  Grin

ok i'm a sick b.

been there, done & seen that  Grin  Grin  Grin

I'm another sick SOB   Grin

RW

IP Logged
a56kuser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/14/05 at 11:31:03

wow it seems like there is alot of different type of spark plugs i could use..... the only place i have local around here  is a checkers auto and some moped shop.......hopefully they have something i can use.

IP Logged
a56kuser
Ex Member

Re: Bad SparkPlug? *PIC* UPDATE*
Reply #8 - 04/14/05 at 16:20:30

hey everyone i managed to get ahold of the NGK spark plug (bought 2 just incase) replaced it and first crank the bike started up... Thanks to everyone that helped..  now we know what a bad spark plug could look like lol.

IP Logged
Lee
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/14/05 at 19:01:52

<The center electrode looks like it is rounded off. >

Man, you must have a great set of eyes!  I can't even see the electrode in that picture.

Being old sucks!

Lee

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 04/14/05 at 19:44:08

The Gap, enhanced.

WWW   IP Logged
a56kuser
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/14/05 at 20:33:49

for future purposes here is a clearer shot

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 04/15/05 at 01:06:28

If you look REAL close, you'll see a slight slope, and the edges are no longer "crisp" 90 degree angles. And in the up close picture, you can tell the sidestrap ( L shaped electrode) has a worn center. Savage (at least mine), and VS800 Intruder (at least my wife's) are extremely touchy where the plug is concerned.
-WD

Oh, and I have crappy vision, my glasses scrip is almost 6 years old. I've just changed hundreds of bike plugs over the years, so a slight anomaly tends to jump out at me. Comes from having had way too many touchy bikes come through my shops.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Lee
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/15/05 at 15:08:38

Much better picture.  Even I can see it now.

Is that a normal amount of carbon fluff for a Savage?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/16/05 at 08:02:01

Good closeup shot.

Not saying that isn't the problem, but I don't think the electrodes on that plug are really that bad.  It is just an old rusty plug that was rode hard and put up wet.  It was probably running just fine when it was parked, but time took its toll.  That's all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 08:56:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad SparkPlug? *PIC* UPDATE*

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.