Send Topic Print
Not Starting now (Read 1 times)
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Not Starting now
04/12/05 at 17:29:00

Ran my bike Saturday and everything was fine. I stalled it pulling into my driveway, had trouble starting it but after I let it sit for a while it started up I let it run for about a minuite and then put it away. Sunday and Monday I was too busy to ride but today i went to start it and all it would do was start to turn over and then make clicking sounds. I thought it might be the battery ( I just put a new maintenance free battery in it last month and didn't have any problems) but it was fully charged. I tried it again and it made the initial start up sound but then just made clicking noises.
Any ideas guys? I really stink at anything electrical.
I appreciate any help you all can give me.
Thanks

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: Not Starting now
Reply #1 - 04/12/05 at 17:33:32

Sorry, bud, but when it clicks, that is a 95% sure sign that the battery is dead.  You didn't happen to turn it off in the 'park' position versus the 'off' position.  I did that once on my 05 and killed the battery overnight because the headlight stays on in that stupid mode......

.....it did charge back up and has held the charge ever since.  

If you didn't do that, you have something draining the battery dead....can you charge it or jump it to test this theory?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 04/12/05 at 17:40:54

Yeah, there's one position (clockwise one click from on/run) that turns the headlight off but leaves the taillight on.  Been there, done that.  But it could also be a bad/loose connection.  I've also seen bad (or overloaded) charging systems that aren't charging enough cause you to slowly deplete (and sometimes destroy) the battery.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #3 - 04/12/05 at 22:28:06

I don't think the battery is dead as the lights are strong when on and the horn works. Also when I hooked it up to the trickle charger, it stated that the battery was fully charged. (there also was a healthy spark when putting the ground wire on)
The bike starts to turn over, making the usual sound and then I just get clicking noises. when i try again, i get the sound of it trying to turn over then the clicking noise again. maybe i'm off with thinking it is electrical, could it be the p.e.t.c.o.c.k. not giving any gas??
This really stinks as I was going to get it inspected this week!!!
I wanted to ask you guys before ripping it all apart to start from scratch, I was hoping it was something easy.

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 04/12/05 at 22:52:33

Frost wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I don't think the battery is dead as the lights are strong when on and the horn works. Also when I hooked it up to the trickle charger, it stated that the battery was fully charged. (there also was a healthy spark when putting the ground wire on)
The bike starts to turn over, making the usual sound and then I just get clicking noises. when i try again, i get the sound of it trying to turn over then the clicking noise again. maybe i'm off with thinking it is electrical, could it be the p.e.t.c.o.c.k. not giving any gas??
This really stinks as I was going to get it inspected this week!!!
I wanted to ask you guys before ripping it all apart to start from scratch, I was hoping it was something easy.

switch it to prime try again .

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #5 - 04/12/05 at 23:03:54

Thanks Sluggo, I'm at work right now (12am-8am) but I'll try as soon as i get home. I hope it is something simple like that.....let's hope  Smiley

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/13/05 at 05:16:33

Frost wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

I have to snip it there and ask a question....

Why is there a healthy spark when you connect the ground wire?  Under normal conditions there shouldn't be any spark (unless you have the key on while you're messing with the battery)....the spark indicated current flow.

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #7 - 04/13/05 at 08:13:39

I had the positive clamp of the trickle charger connected to the battery, the spark came when i clamped the ground onto the frame.   I tried to turn it over again this morning using Sluggo's suggestion, same thing was happening...I cleaned and tightened up the battery connections then hooked up the charger and I'm in the process of letting it charge now.. will try again later in the day
We'll see..any suggestions??

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
Michael

Reply #8 - 04/13/05 at 08:52:01

Frost

I also charge my battery while in the bike, by a lead wire connected to the positive, and clamping the ground to the engine block. I don't get any spark when I connect the ground wire.

I have been having the exact same trouble, after storing my bike for the winter.. I could not figure out what  was wrong, although I guessed it to be one, or a combination of 3 things

Old Gas (even though I used stabil)

The battery

The Sparkplug

My battery would hold a surface charge, enough to make the lights and all the electrical work, but would wear down after cranking the starter a few whirls. I would also get the clicking souns, which is the starter.

I drained the gas, via the line going to the carb, changed the plug, and battery, and now she works sweet as ever.

I also thought you might have old gas in the bowl of the carb, but if you have rode any distance, that, from my understanding is burned off.

I think I would bring the battery back to wherever you purchased it, and ask for a replacement. If it is new, there should not be a problem, if they want to keep your business...also do the new plug, and gas.......I am pretty sure your trouble will be behind you.

cheeers

Michael

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #9 - 04/13/05 at 09:37:27

I had exactly the same thing happen to me,
the lights and horn worked it would only "click" when trying to start.
Had the battery tested and even though it seemed ok there was not enough in it to start the bike.....bought a new battery hooked it up and it started first time, no probs since (or is that tempting fate to say that).

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #10 - 04/13/05 at 17:03:15

let it charge for about 7 hours and then went out to give it a try, it started right up...i rode it for about 20 mins and noticed that the engine rpms were kind of low. I adjusted the mixture screw and ran it for about 10 mins more.  Parked it and let it sit for about 1 hour. went back out and started it and it turned over right away.  I'll check it tomorrow and see if it turns over. I noticed that the high beam indicator light was not working, could this be causing a battery drain?

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #11 - 04/14/05 at 16:20:50

Thanks for all your advise, it turns over on the first try now. I tried it a few times and it seems okay now. It must have been a bad connection on the battery.
Thanks again  Smiley

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 16:33:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not Starting now

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.