Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Poker run
04/11/05 at 15:15:03

Hi fellas,

A biker group I hang around are trying to help a seriously ill kid, and I am planning to propose a poker run, I've read about it before, but I'm not sure how one works and how the money is collected.

Can any of you candy-hearted bikers help with some ideas about how to organize one?

I know it's about riding to a series of given places, picking a card up, and after the cards are picked, the best hand gets a prize, but does one need to contribute at every card pick station? Do you contribute at the beginning? like a registration fee? Or at the end?

I'm planning some bar might sponsor by contributing a case of beer, or a bike shop with a helmet or pair of gloves... any ideas are welcome.

I promise I'll post pictures, and a summary of the event.

Thanks and take care.

RW

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Poker run
Reply #1 - 04/11/05 at 17:21:17

You define a route.
Along the route are 4 fairly obscure stops.

Make a WRITTEN set of instructions, with each detail of the rides turns and stops.  Make sure it's complicated and detailed enough that riders can't just determine where to go and beeline.  It's all about the ride, after all.  It should read like "Ride 1.5 miles (or KM) to the State Route 161 intersection,  turn left.  Ride 6 miles to to the Mud Pike Road, turn right. etc.  Make it at least 10 directions per stop.

Each rider makes a donation, typically 10 to 20 dollars US.

At each stop each rider is handed a playing card.

At the final stop each rider is handed a final card.

Best poker hand wins 50% of the kitty.  The rest goes to charity.  Obviously with 5 decks of card you can have some interesting and creative poker hands, like 5 of a kind, etc.

Variations and other sweeteners are numbered tickets or next best winners getting door prizes (numbered tickets are easier to mess with).  Have local merchants donate door prizes.  Also simple games at the stops are fun.  Dart throwing, etc.  Pay for darts, win prizes or extra cards, for a chance of a better hand.

Afterward there's usually a free feed for riders and non- riders can buy food.  Anything from hotdogs to barbeque.

I've been to ones where a Harley dealer take out an insurance policy and offers a free harley to whoever makes a 60 foot golf putt.  Of course the putts cost a few bucks which go for the cause.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #2 - 04/12/05 at 04:40:32

You also want to remember that advertising is very important.  Riders will travel a long distance if the cause is a good one. Last year I was on a ride out of Newburgh NY for MDA. I would guess there were about 2000 bikes a the end of the day at the park.  I know of one rider who rode in from South Dakota. The ride was sponsored by a local HD dealer and they upfronted the cost for the food and the entertainment (live band,  fashion show). You might also want to consider the park that the end will be at, you might have a large number of riders there and if there are any vendors who might want to set up a tent this can also be a draw. OCC (Their shop is only 5 miles from the park) was at the above mentioned ride.

If your have vollenteer fire depts in your area I would consider contacting them to see of they will help with the food, beverages, and maybe even the card stops.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #3 - 04/12/05 at 05:03:16

Thank you, guys!!!  Grin

I have a few ideas now that I'll submit to the club board tomorrow, at our weekly beer-drinking event...  Grin

I'm not an official member of this club yet, so the decision is not in my hands, but making the proposal is worth the pain. Thanks again.

I'll keep you posted on the developments.

Take care,

RW

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 12:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Poker run

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.