Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Corroded aluminum (Read 25 times)
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Corroded aluminum
04/07/05 at 09:56:30

Is this a lost cause or can the case be polished out to remove all the pitting and look like new?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Corroded aluminum
Reply #1 - 04/07/05 at 10:08:09

Looks like you need to do some grinding before you start the polishing...how deep are the pits?

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #2 - 04/07/05 at 10:55:22

I don't know, it's on a bike I'm thinking about, but haven't seen other than a photo.  

I gather the surface is pretty rough.  I've read some articles about having to use wet/dry sandpaper.  I don't mind putting work into it, if it will look good as new.

The other solution would be to buy new looking used case covers.  What are the chances of finding these?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 04/07/05 at 14:54:48

Check E-bay first and then if you are prepared to spend the money: buy new.
Price indication www.ronayers.com

Note : in 1996 the partnumber  of the LH cover  changed.

Greets
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/05 at 16:12:31

That probably can be polished out. Its hard to tell how bad it is from the pictures but I see worse Polished out. Starting with some 320 then 600 then on down with 1200 and start the compounds then. Best done apart though... These Savages seem to have some sort of a clear coating on them thats more what comes off first and once is does it tends to undermine the rest of it. So once you start your sort of commited to finishing the whole thing. And because your ending up with raw Aluminum Once it will continue to need maintenance without recoating in some sort of way... but can look nice if kept polished. I have seen some nice work done with bead blasting and leaving it sort of rough with the texture of the media in it. And some repainted with high temp engine paint look good. And there is a clear powder coating that is high temp stuff but I am not all that familiar with it. I  heard some done.

All the Aluminum trim bits on that last Vespa project I just posted were polished out with 600 grit then 1200 and then compounded and finaly polished. They then were clear coated.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 04/07/05 at 17:00:34

Piece of cake. Almost every bike made before 88 I buy is in a simillar condition. First thing You do is You strip the clear coating with paint stripper. When You strip it all of a sudden the things will look easier. You can use a carb cleaner as well. After that You might use directly a buffing wheel with a compound or You can ise first some 500 grid sand paper and after that a buffer.
You will do a better job if You remove the cover, but it is possible to be done on the bike too.
Have fun!

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #6 - 04/07/05 at 18:35:42

Geez, you are all soooo helpful!!  I surely appreciate it.  I am not certain if the seller will accept my offer, but at least I have more confidence that I can take care of the corrosion on the bike Smiley

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/07/05 at 22:04:53

Most of that appears to be the Suzuki standard under clear coat "chalk". Strip the clear, sand down to 1000 grit or so, apply zoopseal (good stuff, you can get it online, believe site is that name dot com), and forget about it. Are you buying it to ride it or to look at it?
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/08/05 at 07:19:32

You also have the option of paint, but you really need to pull the engine to do that....

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #9 - 04/08/05 at 08:57:55

WD,
Never heard of Zoopseal.  I just checked out their website.  Looks great...but NOT cheap  Roll Eyes

Ride while riding, look at while not riding Cheesy

Greg,
I have even considered powdercoating the wheels, but I like polished aluminum too much to consider painting the engine Smiley

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/08/05 at 09:20:16

Yep, it's a product for the moneyed old goat, trailer queen street rod scene. But, the stuff works...

Ride when riding, look when not riding.  Cheesy Cute, might have to "borrow" that line sometime.

There is a powder coat you can use on the polished bits that won't change the look all that much. It is a polished aluminum color...same look, no work.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #11 - 04/08/05 at 20:48:52

WD,
I even thought about powdercoating the wheels, until I realized the spokes would all have to be removed.  Too much work Smiley

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #12 - 04/10/05 at 06:55:07

TVRacer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
WD,
I even thought about powdercoating the wheels, until I realized the spokes would all have to be removed.  Too much work Smiley

Tom

Why? Are you sure? as iv seen powdercoating done on spoked wheels before wilst keeping the spokes in there... Hummmm....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/10/05 at 08:25:13

Spokes only need removed if you don't want tem coated, or coated a different color. Coat the spokes, they are just going to rust anyway.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #14 - 04/10/05 at 09:36:07

I thought powdercoating the wheels would be cool!  But the powdercoater I use leaves the spokes in, unless of course I wanted to pay the extra $ to coat each spoke and then the extra $ to relace.

So he powdercoats the rim and spokes as one unit.  What good does that do if I need to tighten/readjust a spoke or more...they are sealed to the rim  ???

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 14:11:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Corroded aluminum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!