Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HELP!!! (Read 2 times)
Michael

HELP!!!
04/09/05 at 10:18:31

Hi folks:

I had a new tire installed a couple of days ago, at my local suzuki dealership. As the story goes, the bike handled terribly on the way home . I decided to adjust it myself, which i am confident I can do.

Well here lies the problem.

Last night i put the bike up on the jack. I was working away , and got sidetracked by a phone call. I decided to leave the bike up on the jack overnight, and tackle the task in the morning.
To my surprise, i opened the garage door this morning, to find my bike lying on its side,a puddle of gas from what I assume was the gas cap,  and the gas shock on the jack completely depressed. Seems a cotter pin had slipped out, therefore releasing the thing.

What I would like to know is 2 things

(1).....is it safe to start it, or would gas run into the crank case or elsewhere( I am not much of a techie)

(2) My oil is now down about what i estimate half a pint. Would this oil run anywhere, such as in the exhaust, or elsewhere while the bike was on its side.?...I just did an oil change last week, and the bike has not leaked a drop. or never has burnt oil in the past.
I did get a new plug, because the other was fouled, so perhaps it was burning oil before? would it burn that much in a week?

As I said, I am not the most mechanically inclined guy on the planet, but am slowly learning.  

Thank goodness for this forum.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

by the way.no damage to the bike.  A cardboard box broke the fall.....whewwwwww

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: HELP!!!
Reply #1 - 04/09/05 at 11:59:58

Hmm, this should be fun...
1. Stand it back up and let it sit a couple hours.
2. Top up the oil in the sump (techie-ese term for bottom of engine).
3. Put in gas.
4. Start.

If it just fell over and leaked out from the gas cap, that's all you should have to do, other than give it a bath so the gas doesn't eat the paint.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Michael

Reply #2 - 04/09/05 at 12:19:08

WD

Thanks for the quick reply. My real concern is the oil.

Is it on top of the piston, or in the exhaust? Will most of it come back down to the crank case? If not will it burn off?

will it foul the plug?

Thanks

michael

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 04/09/05 at 12:58:42

Don't wory. Even if it burns- not a big deal. If the engine runs good and You have the correct spark plug You will have no problems at all. The sp. plug will self-clean in couple of minutes. If You have an oil in the exhaust - give it about 15 minutes of open road ride. It might smoke a little in the first moment when the exhaust gets hot, but pretty soon the smoke will go away.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Michael

Reply #4 - 04/09/05 at 16:26:47

Thanks for the info guys. I have been worried all day over this, and didn't want to attempt starting till i heard from a few of you pro's...I have just dropped 300 bucks into the bike this spring with tire, battery, service, etc.......didn't wanna spend any more for a while ..

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/09/05 at 16:55:39

Should I send you a bale of hay? Grin

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #6 - 04/09/05 at 17:23:17

LMAO.one for each side please

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/10/05 at 07:53:55

The gas ran out of the gas cap and the carb vents most likely.  Just because the bike was on it's side doesn't mean that the petc0ck stopped doing what it does when the bike is turned off....ah, no gas flow.

I doubt there is any problem with the oil....just remember that a 1/2 pint is 1 cup.  Not much.  The oil had probably just collected in the side cases when you checked....unless the bike fell upside down, that is  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #8 - 04/10/05 at 08:57:09

Greg

Thanks for the info... Many of you really know your stuff, and I really value your input, and those who have answered this post. I am learing from you all, every day.

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #9 - 04/11/05 at 00:25:08

Update

The bike seems to be ok. After topping up the fluids, priming it, etc, it started up, and ran smoothly. Thanks for all the help.

chers

Michael

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #10 - 04/11/05 at 00:48:36

Smiley Glad to hear everything is ok

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/11/05 at 00:50:58

Good deal!   8)
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 17:48:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.