LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
WARNING...WARNING...
04/08/05 at 09:29:09

Last night I was  on line going through this forum and enjoying myself, as usual, when I came across a reference to   (((www.mybuell.com)))   and I thought I would take a look and see what was up.  Within a minute of getting on that site I got a warning that someone was trying to access my computer (a new laptop with just installed and updated Norton Security), and I selected to deny that access, as usual.  I went on reading for a few minutes and then noticed that I was no longer connected to the internet, so I reconnected.  After the reconnection I could not get INTERNET EXPLORER to function at all, email would not function at all...NORTON SECURITY SYSTEM WOULD NOT CONNECT...NOTHING WOULD FUNCTION AT ALL.  

I was able to connect to my internet provider but nothing else.

I disconnected and went through all the security checks I could do and found that  TWO FILE PROGRAMS were missing from WINDOWS XP.  

The rest of the computer system seems to be OK, so far, but whatever/whoever attacked me just totally took me offline.

This kind of makes you think that someone might not want anyone to read the  stuff on that website...it is afterall JUST A LITTLE BIT NEGATIVE ABOUT A US MANUFACTURER.  HMMM....was this coincidence?

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know what happened to me so you can be aware and prepared.
I am back to using my OLD AND TRUSTWORTHY desktop.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: WARNING...WARNING...
Reply #1 - 04/08/05 at 10:15:25

Which file programs?

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #2 - 04/08/05 at 11:09:55

Where was the reference to (((mybuell.com)))

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #3 - 04/08/05 at 14:18:37

Install Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta....

IT Engineers recomendation Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 04/08/05 at 14:50:26

LondonThing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Install Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta....

IT Engineers recomendation Wink

Glad to hear that.  I just downloaded and installed it a couple weeks ago when I realized that my PC was sometimes doing things when it supposedly wasn't doing anything....

I found about 10 spyware programs, but I wasn't sure if it was really that good or not.

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #5 - 04/08/05 at 15:39:07

I wouldn't install anything "Beta" ..I'm not going to be a guinny(sp) pig for "The Evil Empire"(Microsoft)..I would also suggest not downloading Service Pack 2 for XP.
For security sake , you should set up your firewall on your router (if you have a router) and install a personal firewall on your computer. Zone Alarm is pretty good.
Be careful out there  Wink

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/08/05 at 15:50:48

Normally, I would agree about Betas....I think my last Windows Beta was '98.  Wheweee....however this one seems to work pretty good.  No crashes or weird stuff that I can tell.  Now whether it is really doing what it says, I don't know.  It doesn't do anything automatic like just deleting files without you reviewing them first.

As for SP2 for XP.  I heard complaints about it before, but I got it and haven't had any trouble.  It's been about 4 months now.  What's supposed to go wrong?

As for security...I think that I got my spyware during a few months of job searching and moving across the country while using an Earthlink dialup connection (should be called Spamlink).  Now I have cable and I do hide behind a router..."Peek-a-Boo, no IP for You"  Grin

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #7 - 04/08/05 at 16:19:31

Iv been using Service pack 2 for XP since it came out, i think almost a year ago (or more now). It does have a few issues with things like windows restore, but appart from that it is essential for me and should be for everyone... But we all have out own prefrences i guess...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 04/08/05 at 16:23:30

Yeah, you really need to be carefull ot there. I picked up some spyware virus a couple of months ago and had to take my laptop out to get it debugged. Sad Took it to Best Buy which was an experience in it's self. After three or four trips back it finally was working. After that there are a bunch of sites I keep away from. Didn't have any problems at Buell is junk but have been hammered at the Social Deviate Motorcycle site. Too bad, Social Deviate has some great pics of choppers and customs.
 Starting to think that the companies that sell the cure make the virus to begin with. Of course it might be a bit of paranoia on my part. Ride Safe, Surf Safe. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 04/08/05 at 17:02:21

I do not remember exactly where the reference to the Buell site was.

The program missing is "mscoree.dll.", and it is listed twice as not being found by........

1.  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Install Shield\Professional\Run Time\0701\Intel32\Dot Net Installer.exe"  with the message  "Cannot access a necessary file mscoree.dll."

2.  Everything is the same except that this one has the number "09\01" in place of the "0701" of #1 above.

Does anyone know if I can use the "RECOVERY CD" to install only that file that is missing??????

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 04/08/05 at 17:06:34

i have built each computer i have owned and have never used virus programs, i do use firewalls, i also have removed file associations that call for .vbs files, this is the program on your computer that hackers take advantage of. most users never know of it's exsitence or how it used, yet like most microsoft software they set up things with all the little programs on. so they are there if you need them. i would rather that you activate what you need as you go.  
this trick works for me. i can always tell when i get a malicious program because it asks. where's the file. i then run down the program and delete it before it has any time to do anything wrong.  to bad this piece of information is not in wide ciruclation. if it was nobody would buy anti virus stuff. i have never heard of a anti virus program detecting a "new" virus. you see it's reactive not proactive so it will never truly work. it's like a padlock. it just gives a warm and fuzzy since of false security.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 04/08/05 at 17:34:25

I found the Buell reference, it is on the "Suzuki Management" thread.

Sluggo, do you remove ALL vbs. files from Windows?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 04/08/05 at 19:22:35

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I found the Buell reference, it is on the "Suzuki Management" thread.

Sluggo, do you remove ALL vbs. files from Windows?

you remove the file association to .vbs files.
every file has to have a program to open it.  when you remove the association you just remove the link between the program and the file. it's an easy thing to do depending on which operating system.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #13 - 04/08/05 at 19:37:45

Lancer, found this for you..you must be using microsoft .net services:

DLL File: mscoree or mscoree.dll
DLL Name: Microsoft .NET Runtime Execution Engine
Description: File that contains the .NET Framework functions.
Part Of: Microsoft .NET
System DLL: Yes
Common Errors: File Not Found, Missing File, Exception Errors

So in short do one of these things:
1: find out what needs .net to run and delete it. or
2: Install .net from microsoft update (not recommended)
3: Just forget about it! Its nothing to worry about

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #14 - 04/08/05 at 20:46:51

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I do not remember exactly where the reference to the Buell site was.

The program missing is "mscoree.dll.", and it is listed twice as not being found by........

1.  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Install Shield\Professional\Run Time\0701\Intel32\Dot Net Installer.exe"  with the message  "Cannot access a necessary file mscoree.dll."

2.  Everything is the same except that this one has the number "09\01" in place of the "0701" of #1 above.

Does anyone know if I can use the "RECOVERY CD" to install only that file that is missing??????

Lancer,

Can't you use System Restore?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 14:11:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WARNING...WARNING...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.