Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Questions about the oil leak repair process (Read 10 times)
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Questions about the oil leak repair process
04/05/05 at 21:05:56

Now that I've fixed the fuel problem on my bike, I'm ready to fix the infamous "head seal cap oil leak." It seems to be leaking more every time I go for a ride so I've decided it's time.

Question #1:  Is it necessary to pull the engine from the frame in order to remove the head cover? I'd rather not have to pull the engine if I don't have to. I've heard both yes and no and I'd like some of your thoughts on this.

Question #2:  If I don't have to pull the engine, what's the best way to torque the bolts when re-assembling the head cover? I've looked at the top of the head cover and there's not much room for a torque wrench.

Thanks for your help!
--Jazzdude

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Questions about the oil leak repair process
Reply #1 - 04/06/05 at 04:35:46

Just did the process on a '95 a few weeks ago.
First you read over this tech doc.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295
No, you do not need to pull the engine, but be sure and print out the bolt template as I didn't understand it's value until I used it - I'm not sure even 2 bolts are the same length and you'll be pulling a dozen or so. I just removed the seat and the tank (of course on this '95 to remove the tank you must drain it and remove the fuel petco-ck. Two things putting back together I seem to have botched - make sure when you put the vent hose back on it is not kinked or bent in any way and try not to stuff the stainless steel screen into the head cover very tight - this two things botched enough will lead to another leak in the speedometer cable - see post -
so far as torque - I have a 10mm openend head that fits a small 3/8ths drive needle torque wrench works ok on most bolts - a 1/4 inch drive click type would work better - but the top bolt was tighten with a 10mm shorty boxend (wrench is 3 inches long) and I might have used a 4 inch 1/4in drive ratchet on a couple of others - just be careful - these bolts need very little torque 7 or 8 lbs max - 5lbs would do I bet - so use small wrenches

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 04/06/05 at 05:16:03

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Just did the process on a '95 a few weeks ago.
First you read over this tech doc.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295
No, you do not need to pull the engine, but be sure and print out the bolt template as I didn't understand it's value until I used it - I'm not sure even 2 bolts are the same length and you'll be pulling a dozen or so. I just removed the seat and the tank (of course on this '95 to remove the tank you must drain it and remove the fuel petco-ck. Two things putting back together I seem to have botched - make sure when you put the vent hose back on it is not kinked or bent in any way and try not to stuff the stainless steel screen into the head cover very tight - this two things botched enough will lead to another leak in the speedometer cable - see post -
so far as torque - I have a 10mm openend head that fits a small 3/8ths drive needle torque wrench works ok on most bolts - a 1/4 inch drive click type would work better - but the top bolt was tighten with a 10mm shorty boxend (wrench is 3 inches long) and I might have used a 4 inch 1/4in drive ratchet on a couple of others - just be careful - these bolts need very little torque 7 or 8 lbs max - 5lbs would do I bet - so use small wrenches  

Good advice.  All of it.

But what really caught my eye is that you state that on your '95, the tank can't be removed without removing the petc0ck.....

We were trying to follow that issue in another topic and it disappeared.  I think that the subject stopped with a measurement across the frame of 140 MM at the petc0ck.  How wide is yours?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/06/05 at 06:27:27

I'll pull the tank again in couple of days and measure the frame, I want to have a look at the ngk iridium plug after 500 miles - curious on the color with this 150 jet and bit less than 1/2 the spacer and a touch of castrol tts 2-stroke oil in the gas - bike seems to run mighty fine.

IP Logged
erikrichard

Reply #4 - 04/08/05 at 10:30:22

About that bolt at the top...my wrench stripped it, and I had to resort to visegrips to get it off.  No way to torque it, thats for sure, but I put it back on with visegrips and no leak anywhere.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/08/05 at 10:59:13

erikrichard wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
About that bolt at the top...my wrench stripped it, and I had to resort to visegrips to get it off.  No way to torque it, thats for sure, but I put it back on with visegrips and no leak anywhere.

That bolt is difficult to reach and if using a wrench an open end is not a good choice.  Once, working on a friend's Savage, that same bolt seemed too tight and wanted to round off.  Since you can't get a ratchet in there, I found a 10 MM 6 point socket and ground 2 flats on the socket.  Then I used a larger wrench to turn the socket and remove the bolt.

IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #6 - 04/09/05 at 17:12:10

Thanks for all of the info on this. I'm on vacation and will tackle the leak when I get back.  I plan on doing quite a bit of riding this summer and want to fix the leak before then.  Smiley

rmgray2001   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 04/09/05 at 19:21:11

My investment was 1/4 inch drive 10 mm Craftssman swivel socket . Works like a charm with 6 inch extention.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #8 - 04/09/05 at 20:51:31

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
My investment was 1/4 inch drive 10 mm Craftssman swivel socket . Works like a charm with 6 inch extention.
Sounds like a good combination to me. What type of torque wrench so you use? A needle or a click-stop? I've got a Craftsman 3/8" click-stop that, hopefully, should work.

Thanks, Slavy!

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Spoccie
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/11/05 at 06:23:51

Hi All,

I'm a proud Savage owner for a few months now.
From the beginning I knew my '87 bike had the infamous Head Seal Cap oil leak.
But recently the oil also leaks from a completely different spot then where it usually is. Now I'm worried that it's a different leak then the Head Seal Cap oil leak.
On this picture you can see where I found the oil dripping.

The leaking only occurs after I've been driving, so I guess it has something to do with the wind gushing through there.

Is there someone who could help me?
I'm a noob if it comes to Motors, but I'm eager to learn.

Cheers,

Ale Pieter

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #10 - 04/11/05 at 06:57:50

It is hard to see on the picture where is the oil comming from. You see the oil dripping from thr lowest point, but it might be comming from some place above and in front or  in the side. My best suggestion is to wash the engine nice, wait to dry and leave the bike to work in the place. Watch periodically to see where the oil will show and follow the leak to verify this is it. It is very probable that the head cover leak got bad enough that the oil is comming from the top to the bottom.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #11 - 04/11/05 at 09:58:09

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
It is very probable that the head cover leak got bad enough that the oil is comming from the top to the bottom.

I agree, my bike also has the pulg cap leak and the bottom looks like that after a couple of days riding...

I'd fix the cap leak first, and then check if there is still oil at the bottom... might just be a one-fix leak....

Take care,

RW

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 04/11/05 at 11:49:19

Spoccie wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Hi All,

I'm a proud Savage owner for a few months now.
From the beginning I knew my '87 bike had the infamous Head Seal Cap oil leak.
But recently the oil also leaks from a completely different spot then where it usually is. Now I'm worried that it's a different leak then the Head Seal Cap oil leak.
On this picture you can see where I found the oil dripping. http://www.geocities.com/master_in_the_force/SavageLeak.jpg

The leaking only occurs after I've been driving, so I guess it has something to do with the wind gushing through there.

Is there someone who could help me?
I'm a noob if it comes to Motors, but I'm eager to learn.

Cheers,

Ale Pieter

I would sure fix the head cover cap first - and watch it awahile - that maybe the wonderful speedometer cable gasket - if you raise the spring up do you see any oil at the base of the cable?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/13/05 at 05:32:21

The best thing would be to go to a self-car wash and wash the engine.....then ride it around and go home and look again....

You have 3 potential leak spots on that side, not counting the left side cover gasket.

Rubber seal around the nuetral wire on the rear of the engine.

Seal around the clutch actuator lever.

Seal inside the speedo cable (already mentioned)

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #14 - 05/16/05 at 19:53:47

What is the part # for the NEW plug? 8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2